Getting high-point proteins

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Getting high-point proteins

Postby scottla » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:58 am

Hi All,

Generally, I get large proteins that earn 600 points each. Lately, over the last four days or so, I've been getting proteins with very low points, like 149 or even 82.

They don't seem to go much faster, so, all things being equal, I'd rather get the bigger point projects. Isn't there some setting that defines which you get? If so, please let me know. I'd like to get the bigger points back.

Also, any idea why the sudden change?!
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:00 pm

You are not the only one getting them. I know you'd like to get the 600-pointers but that's not the target. The target is to compute all of them...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Getting high-point proteins

Postby Pette Broad » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:15 pm

scottla wrote:Also, any idea why the sudden change?!

The server that dishes the biggies out is almost out of WU's. All I'm getting are 772/3 and 2124 series WU's. :(

Pete
Last edited by Pette Broad on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby scottla » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:31 pm

So everyone's in the same boat; it's not something I might have done locally. That's a relief, sort of.

The change has been just in the last four days. For a while, I was posting up some great numbers, then ended up dropping to 300 point days. Bummer.

In fact, now that I just checked, my last WU completed yielded 82 points and was replaced by one for 44! :x
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:41 pm

I remember back when I was really into Folding (and I'm getting there again), I had 600pt QMDs that my 3.6ghz Northwood could complete in 24 hours. Then those dried up and I dropped to around 400ppd. It just depends on what Stanford needs done. We're here for them, and it's not about the points. :wink:
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby scottla » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:06 pm

Sabrewings wrote:We're here for them, and it's not about the points. :wink:

No doubt! My drive to help stems from knowing a family member with ALS. I'd be folding even without the points. That said, the points are a fun and motivating way to "quantify" the help we all give.

Plus, with the lower point folds coming in, it's going to take that much longer to smoke JK -- the next one aheada me! :mb_mischievous::
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:51 am

Many of the small-point units are sub-routines of larger units, but specific in their folding routine for clarification. All part of the "big picture" as to how certain protiens fold and why. I'll take whatever is offered. It isn't the points that count.. it is the result of the process.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:14 am

The big-point units are still "out there", as I recently got two 600-pointers to work. But they take longer than the smaller WUs, which slow your daily point status. But each WU is a link in the chain of finding the "hows" and "whys" in which protiens fold for their purpose.. and how to alter the bad routines which cause our maladies. If your -config file does not permit large WUs to be accepted, you will not recieve them unless there are no smaller units. For DU connections it takes a loooong time to DL a 5 meg WU! TGFDSL!
I have dropped from four WUs on each system to only two per.. takes too long to work four units each.
Not worried so much about point status.. it is the results that are important.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby scottla » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:16 pm

Just got my first 600 again since the original post. Beforehand, I went through a litany of 44 point WUs; I'd never seen ones with low points. That was the genesis of my post.

As a practical matter, I know that there are particular settings you can give the software that in some respects governs what you get. I thought I might have some how reset these somehow in recent monkeyings with my PCs.

Seems these small WUs were just working their way through the system.
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:47 am

Yeah, I picked up a couple of 600 pointers this morning :) . At certain times use of flags can be important in detemining exactly what kind of WU you pick up. If you have the flag -advmethods combined with ticking the >5mb box then you've got the best chance to pick up one of the big points units, but it doesn't work all of the time. You can get these if you have 256mb or more.....that is an absolute minimum memory requirement , 252mb with 4mb shared graphics and you won't get any of the big WU's.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team