The Mother Board
Getting high-point proteins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboards.org Folding Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Getting high-point proteins Reply with quote

Hi All,

Generally, I get large proteins that earn 600 points each. Lately, over the last four days or so, I've been getting proteins with very low points, like 149 or even 82.

They don't seem to go much faster, so, all things being equal, I'd rather get the bigger point projects. Isn't there some setting that defines which you get? If so, please let me know. I'd like to get the bigger points back.

Also, any idea why the sudden change?!
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not the only one getting them. I know you'd like to get the 600-pointers but that's not the target. The target is to compute all of them...

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting high-point proteins Reply with quote

scottla wrote:

Also, any idea why the sudden change?!

The server that dishes the biggies out is almost out of WU's. All I'm getting are 772/3 and 2124 series WU's. crying

Pete

Last edited by Pette Broad on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everyone's in the same boat; it's not something I might have done locally. That's a relief, sort of.

The change has been just in the last four days. For a while, I was posting up some great numbers, then ended up dropping to 300 point days. Bummer.

In fact, now that I just checked, my last WU completed yielded 82 points and was replaced by one for 44! evil
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back when I was really into Folding (and I'm getting there again), I had 600pt QMDs that my 3.6ghz Northwood could complete in 24 hours. Then those dried up and I dropped to around 400ppd. It just depends on what Stanford needs done. We're here for them, and it's not about the points. wink

RIAA vs The People
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabrewings wrote:
We're here for them, and it's not about the points. wink

No doubt! My drive to help stems from knowing a family member with ALS. I'd be folding even without the points. That said, the points are a fun and motivating way to "quantify" the help we all give.

Plus, with the lower point folds coming in, it's going to take that much longer to smoke JK -- the next one aheada me! mb_mischievous:
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the small-point units are sub-routines of larger units, but specific in their folding routine for clarification. All part of the "big picture" as to how certain protiens fold and why. I'll take whatever is offered. It isn't the points that count.. it is the result of the process.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big-point units are still "out there", as I recently got two 600-pointers to work. But they take longer than the smaller WUs, which slow your daily point status. But each WU is a link in the chain of finding the "hows" and "whys" in which protiens fold for their purpose.. and how to alter the bad routines which cause our maladies. If your -config file does not permit large WUs to be accepted, you will not recieve them unless there are no smaller units. For DU connections it takes a loooong time to DL a 5 meg WU! TGFDSL!
I have dropped from four WUs on each system to only two per.. takes too long to work four units each.
Not worried so much about point status.. it is the results that are important.
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my first 600 again since the original post. Beforehand, I went through a litany of 44 point WUs; I'd never seen ones with low points. That was the genesis of my post.

As a practical matter, I know that there are particular settings you can give the software that in some respects governs what you get. I thought I might have some how reset these somehow in recent monkeyings with my PCs.

Seems these small WUs were just working their way through the system.
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I picked up a couple of 600 pointers this morning lachen . At certain times use of flags can be important in detemining exactly what kind of WU you pick up. If you have the flag -advmethods combined with ticking the >5mb box then you've got the best chance to pick up one of the big points units, but it doesn't work all of the time. You can get these if you have 256mb or more.....that is an absolute minimum memory requirement , 252mb with 4mb shared graphics and you won't get any of the big WU's.

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboards.org Folding Team All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: