TribalOverkill's LiquiD EvolutioN

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

TribalOverkill's LiquiD EvolutioN

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 12:28 pm

A.C.Ryan
S T U D I O
TribalOVERKILL

- Liquid EVOLUTION -

So,... for those who don't know, I am TribalOverkill and this is my LiquiD EvolutioN
worklog. Here you will find ALL my LiquiD EvolutioN designs.

If you should see something you like and want to try and make it yourself
by all means go for it. You do not need to ask. That goes the same with my pictures.
If you want to use ANY of them, just take them! I post them for you.

If you need help or advice with it or anything, contact me. Please. I will be glad to
help you. My job is to design new innovative stuff and in the process, inspire you:)
If I am not inspiring,... that means I'm not doing my job.

So, read through this worklog, enjoy, and get with the MODDING! I command you!

HA HA HA!
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 12:41 pm

WHATS UP PEOPLE!!! Gawd,... I can't believe I am posting this!!! Anyways,... for now, I will be focusing on watercooling accessories and parts. The first accessory/ part I want ot work with is RESERVOIRS baby!!! Yea. So,... this reservoir I am working on now doesn't really have a name yet but "Sentinel" has crossed my mind. This reservoir will have shields! Just to let you guyz know,... theres goign to to be alot of shields/ panels going on:) The cool thing about this reservoir is that the contents spins,... along with a UV green coil on the inside:) To the pictures!!!!

Nov-08-2005

So,... I gotta big tube. LOL. It's OD is 2.5" and it has a 1/4" wall. Huge.
Image Image

I used a hacksaw to cut a piece off thats about 5" long. I am shooting to get this piece to 4.5". It's has to be absolutely straight because it will be crooked as hell:)

I taped it off so I don't scratch it up.

This is my table sander,... I LOVE THIS THING!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA! Watch,...

WHAM!!! Done,... straight as hell! I used the 6" circular sander on the side the the table/ slider "thing". I gentally spun it grinding it away. Easy. Almost to easy!

Check out the finish. I know the pic is a bit blurred,.. my camera is all that great. Just bare with me on it. The surface you see is slightly melted because the grit on the paper was kind of small. You want it to be kind of coarse so that it cuts and scrapes away the acrylic instead of rubbing it off. But, this will do!

Check this out,... this is the freaky part. eaxctly 4.5". I nailed it,... and I wasn't even pay any mind to it. I was just focused on getting it straight. I just so happened to stop right on 4.5". Couldnt believe it.
Image Image

Huge sheet of 1/4" thick acrylic. This is only half of the sheet too.

I cut off a small piece and began taping it up.

Marked and ready for drilling,... to the press.

I love this press. Very cool.

Very nice. Flawless.
Image Image

Notice the countersink:)

So yea. So far so good:) Next,....
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 12:45 pm

UPDATE!!! LOL. Check em out,...

Nov-09-2005

Trimmed away some of the tape so it wouldnt cake up the sanding wheel. It's proved to be pointless. I dont cut it away like this anymore.

See how it's melting the acrylic? After I replaced the sanding disc with one thats a bit more coarse this stopped. The melted portions easily snapped off,... it's not like it was a problem.

Done. This isn't it's finished size. Just a general fit.
Image Image Image

Now, this is one huge piece of acrylic. A 2'x4'@3/4" thick,... yea. Heavy as hell.
Image Image

I gto a nice paralelle clamp to help hold stuff on the press. I dont use it as much as I thought I would. You'll see later why.
Image Image

Clamped the clamp dow to the press table. Would ok but the paralelle clamp kind of bows when you wrench down on something that isnt evenly placed within its grasp.

Grinding down the 3/4" the same way I did the 1/4". I love this thing.

Snow. This stuff is annoying. It's like sand except this stuff clings to you.

Ok,... top and bottom piece cut to their general sizes.
Image Image

Stacked.
Image Image

A 120mm fan to get you an idea of it's size.

Tomorrow I will post another update and I will be working on it too. till then:) Keep watching:) Oh,... I will be working on Blackout soon too. No worries.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 12:47 pm

HEY:) I'm goign to post 4 updates because they are all pretty much of the same thing. I was having trouble and had to remake this particular part a couple of times. What you see here is old methods when I was first playing around with it. I have it figured out now and it's so much easier to do what you are about to see. To the pictures away!!!

Nov-10-2005

Ok,... this is a picture I had drawn to help figure out how I was going to spin the contents of the reservoir. As you can see I was running into some trouble.

I began farting around,... theres two aux ports and 2 for I/ O spinning. You can cap off the spinning ports and use the aux ports for I/ O without spin. But wheres the fun in that? I meant the aux ports to be used for temp probes and LEDs.

Drilling on an angle. This was flat out crappy. I couldnt tell how far down I had to go. Plus at this point I forgot that the drill press table tilts, DOH! This is suppose to be a spin port.

Came out nice though:)
Image Image

Drilled through the side to the previously drilled tunnel. i was off by a bit. Hard to do, very hard. I knew that I wasn't going to go this route because #1. This is a hard procedure and #2. To much turbulance inside that tunnel. I needed a btter way.
Image Image Image Image

Here's the sweet tap and die sets I got:) Got them cheap as hell!!! Titanium coated baby! Oh yea. I have a get another set with smaller taps and dies.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 12:49 pm

Next!

Nov-11-2005

Now,... this is what I came up with. Ultimately I wanted the barbs to be recessed so that I could hide them with some shields. Thats another reason why I wasnt going to go with the other way in the last update. This way is easy to repeat, one drilling straight through. the barbs are recessed on a downward angle. The reason for the angle,... to help recess and so that I dont have to cut out the inside of a 3/4" - 1" puck to get the contents to spin. In my opinion this is the best by to do this with what I have to do it:)

Using the disc sander and the table slanted at 45 degrees,... I checked it with a special ruler/ guage. You guyz know how anal I am,... can't trust the sticker used on the machine! LOL. It's actually like 45.5 - 46 degrees I think. Not sure but close. ANYWAYS,... this is an old way to do it too. Its very hard to hold the pcuk in place and even. I ended up clamping a board to the table to keep the puck from being pulling to the side or even thrown! So now all I have to do is make sure that it remians flat on the table and even. I swear,... I sander the mark in half. The accuracy is amazing. Again,... cut just before the mark and then sand/ file to the mark for accuracy:) Tip of the day:) LOL. Seriousy though, thats how you do it.

Finished. HOW SICK IS THAT!!!!!
Image Image Image Image

Hell yea! This is it baby!!!
Image Image
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 12:50 pm

NeeeeeEEEXT!!

Nov-13-2005

So I still didnt realize that teh press table tilted,... shoot me:) LOL.

Ummmm,... yea. How did that find it's way into the shop :shock:.

Before I continue the the vasoline to for driling withteh larger bits. I use it for all kinds of cutting not just drills. It makes it smooooooother :shock:. Nailed it! Not bad for using the press table improperly:)
Image Image Image

Now here comes the problem. You see the c-clamp? It holding the 1/4" disc to the 3/4" puck. I driled the puck first. I removed the puck to clamp the 1/4" disc to the puck. The problem? Well,... here another tip,... do not remove your project from the press until you are absolutely auer you are done drilling that hole. It's hard as hell to line it up perfectly again. Also,... I should of drilled the 1/4" disc with the puck. Why? You'll see in the next update.
Image Image

You at that,... my calculations were on!! Right up to the 1/4" line which is basically the wall of the reservoir. Actually I went over the line a bit but I'm cool with that because it no big deal.

This is the fastest at this angle that this black will spin the contents. How fast? I dont know. LOL. I mean I do now but at the time I didnt know.
Image Image
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 12:51 pm

Yea,... this is number 4.

Nov-14-2005

Ok,.. so this is the reason why you would want ot drill the two pieces together. I mean if you just can't for whatever reason,... you you find the center and step drill the second piece then it should come out ok but you should really do them together. See how they are offset? I thought if I went slow with the largest bit it would be fine. Wrong. I though it was because I had a thin piece of tape in between the two pieces but still, thats a huge offset. also,... noticed how the offsets are off to the side too. Thats from trying to realign. I tried again. I made the whole thing again and this time I glue the two pieces together and the same thing happened. So, I knew that I had to do them together.
Image Image

See the hole on the right,... trying to realign.

This is what I got. So much better! Very clean. Theres vasoline all over it but it's clean:)

A better shot.
Image Image Image

So,... this is how I get the contents to spin. More to come tomorrow!!! Enjoy!!!
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 12:52 pm

I'm going to give you guys an update now because I'm in a good mood. It's nothing big. When i get home I'm going to update again. That update,... I guarantee your jaws will drop. Now,...

Nov-15-2005

Wet sanded the edges of the reservoir body.

This is how I WAS going to spin the coil on the inside, I mean I did but the new revised reservoir will have another method of enabling the coil to spin.

Here's what is was before the sharpening of the ends. I sanded it down for accuracy:) I then penciled the ends.

Scratched the rod so I wet sanded with 800 grit.

Then polished it with a paper towel and some polishing compoud:) YES,... a paper towel:)

Use the drill as a lathe, again. I did the same for the rad housing posts for Blackout:)

All done:)

This is the polishing compound I used. It was laying around so I said why not! Worked great!

I'll post the other update when I get home. Check for it.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 12:54 pm

Here's a cool update. You'll like this:)

Nov-18-2005

Here's another idea for an internal effect.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Nice long strips for the coil. I just got done cutting them off a larger sheet.

At first i tried my ruler-ruler method of cutting these guyz down but it only worked so much. Thers not enough material to be tape to the ruler, it wont stick. Need to do it another way.

I used the rulers as a fence and ran the strips through with the bit spinning towards the strips. If you do it with the bit spinning away,... it wil shatter them and spit them out the other side. No, this did not happen to me.

Holding up and flap made from a ruler,... it's used to hold down the strip while being cut. Was kind of nervous about having my wittle fingers that close to the bit. Didn't want to pull a Hobbes:) Sorry Hobbes,... had to:)

Done. Now,...a mistake was made. Not really a mistkae but if I was smart I would of made both of these strips the same size. One os a spacer and the other is the actual coil. If I made them both the same size I would of had two coils:) I still have to coils its just that one of them isnt the right size. Anyways. The coils can be stretched or compressed to adjust the gap before gluing too. You dont wan tot do that toooo much because its stressful on the holding arm thingies.

The cool part and painful. I got a pipe of the right diameter and sanded it clean. I then calculated the angle in hich to start wrapping and
I clamped the ends of the strips to the pipe side by side. I then began to heat and wrap. It was fairly easy. Very HOT. You should try and not stretch them out. You wan to pull firmly so its snug around the pipe but not to much. How cool is that:)
Image Image Image Image Image

Trimmed and fitted. How friggin cool is that!!! HELL YEA. *HIGH FIVES MYSELF* Yea.
Image Image Image

So yea. A nice preview for you guyz. I might update you guyz later. I'm off to the garage. Peace.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 12:56 pm

Ok,... it's almost done in this update, but not.

Nov-21-2005

1/4" x 18NPT tap. This is a plumbers tap. It's tapered so when you screw in the barbs it prevents you from screwing it in so far that the barb falls inside the reservoir. But,... mainly, it's for sealing.

Breaking out the vaso jelly again. It's makes tapping that much easier:) Nice and SMOOOOOTH. Silky.

Tapped. Very important that you tap the holes as straight as possible.

The aluminum rod you see is what I use to make arms that holds the coil to the shaft. It's a tad bit smaller then the shaft so when I wrap one end of the arm around it and then go to put it on the shaft,... it's snug.

The arms and the shaft. This is the old way of doing it, that is the shaft. I have a batter way that I am dying to show you.
Image Image

Arms almost done.

Everything being fused together. IMPORTANT that everything is straight! You can test by rolling the coil and watchng the shaft. Slight shimmies are ok. I have to add that the arms are not perfectly straight. I was not worried about it because you cant really see them. I did it like that because in that position evrything was straight. I have to figure out a better way.

fusing the reservoir together.

I rounder all the edges with the router and wetsanded evrything nice and smooth, 800git. It was progressive sanding,... started with 220grit.
Image Image Image

Buffed the whole thing to a shine. Very pretty.
Image Image Image Image Image

Once again,... lit up.
Image Image

Closer and closer:) what do you think? In one or more pictures you can seeing scraping of the coil inside the reservoir. This is something I am goig nto address with the revised one. I know why it's doing it. I'm going to fix it.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to System Modification