Game Reviewer Sought By Gamepyre

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Game Reviewer Sought By Gamepyre

Postby Doc Overclock » Sat May 06, 2006 12:35 pm

WWW.GAMEPYRE.COM:::: ALERT!!!

We are currently looking for a staff writer for gaming reviews,,

The reviews pay between $50.00-$75.00 depending on content and the game is free...

The Format is already in place and we need a person to fill in the spaces in between...

Contact either me or Tulatin if you think you have what it takes...

Please only respond with serious answers and not a bunch of non relevant rhetoric thanks.....
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby ~Rob » Sat May 06, 2006 12:45 pm

I'll think about it...

EDIT: You've got mail... sorry, wierd mood tonight :lol:
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Robyn » Wed May 10, 2006 10:49 am

Rob has normal moods? :o
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tulatin » Fri May 12, 2006 4:37 am

Oh sure, stick me with parsing through who comes in the door :lol:

Doc's usually got the game or three he wants done, and i'm usually working a project, so do be nice and see if you're not theifing them, just talk to us both :D
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Roach412 » Fri May 12, 2006 5:29 am

Is there any other information that is available for this? I'm curious as to what kind of timeline is used/required, the amount of information asked for/required, gamer ability needed, length of play expected...stuff like that. I've always wondered about things like that with regards to game reviewing!

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Fri May 12, 2006 5:35 am

Usually, reviews as soon as possible is nice, but otherwise you, I and (occasionally Ben) will work out a schedule. Under what we had with Sabre for a bit, it was two weeks.

Writing consists of 2,000 words split amongst 6 pages (Introduction, Story, Graphics/Sound, Gameplay/Control, System Requirements and a Conclusion). Weight of each section isn't particularly relevant, so long as it's balanced enough, and they're all filled out with what's needed. Into each review, a very bare minimum (Read "May Cause Unhappy Webmaster") of 16 images is required. 25-30 is a better bet, so he can sprinkle them into paragraphs. Make sure to take photos of things you talk about in the review. FRAPS is excellent for this.

As to gaming talent, we'd expect you to be able to take on and beat most games, but failing that (Read "Crazy Developers And Stupidly Hard Sections"), occasional Cheating may be needed, but don't run through the game with it on, as it'll ruin the experience, and taint your review. Length of play is preferable to the end, so that you can report on the fullness, accuracy and satisfaction begotten by the storyline in itself.

Answers the questions? PDT_Armataz_01_01
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Roach412 » Fri May 12, 2006 5:48 am

Well done indeed... it would seem that my 10+ hour time difference in India is a positive for posting on the forums!!

Another question(s) for you:
Are there baselines for the equipment being used for reviews? i.e. Don't use a P4 1.7 with 256mb and a Voodoo3 GPU? :wink: :lol:
Stuff like that for those that might be more casual in their machine's use... although, being a reviewer might give a person the "incentive" to upgrade... 8)

-Roach
EVGA GTX 660ti
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby tedybear » Fri May 12, 2006 6:02 am

In regards to system requirements? Just about every game I've played and used? Right on the box (or on the manufactors website) You'll find the "min" system needed to run the game/software. They also list the recommended system needed. (min will run the game without the bells and whistles...recommended will run decent with a high FPS and will give the best idea of what the designers had in mind)

I would'ent mind doing something like this myself if I had the time to do so (after all...I do work for one of the largest arcade companies in the world-with many games in the works for all plateforms) However time would be a major concern to devote to this project.

Best of luck with the search!

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Tulatin » Fri May 12, 2006 6:02 am

That really depends; Typically, we want screenshots to look the best they can. With that in mind, under-powered hardware can achieve in two ways - either being upgraded, or via slideshow mode. I've been putting up with the second one for a bit, as my 6800GT (now single :( ) battles through games. In terms of processing, it's not too important, but a good gaming rig should have 2GB of ram, and a 6800GT or higher - to keep the bloody FPS up.

and Roach, you're in India?
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Roach412 » Fri May 12, 2006 6:06 am

Yeah, I hear ya... Keeping up with most newer games is getting pretty tough, and my "old" rigs are quickly becoming everyone else's rigs!

Retirement of my main machine is getting down the months in terms of lifetime it seems...

And yes, I'm in India right now...almost ready to come home though!! It's been fun, but...I need my USA back. :wink:

-Roach
EVGA GTX 660ti
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Next