The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Post subject: Our wonderful leader
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:26 am 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

:roll:

Quote:
Officials: Trailers weren't labs
JOBY WARRICK

The Washington Post

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS/KARIM KADIM

On May 29, 2003, 50 days after the fall of Baghdad, President Bush proclaimed a fresh victory for his administration in Iraq: Two small trailers captured by U.S. troops had turned out to be long-sought mobile "biological laboratories." He declared, "We have found the weapons of mass destruction."

The claim, repeated by top administration officials for months afterward, was hailed at the time as a vindication of the decision to go to war. But even as Bush spoke, U.S. intelligence officials possessed powerful evidence that it was not true.

A secret fact-finding mission to Iraq -- not made public until now -- had already concluded that the trailers had nothing to do with biological weapons. Leaders of the Pentagon-sponsored mission transmitted their unanimous findings to Washington in a field report May 27, 2003, two days before the president's statement.

The three-page field report and a 122-page final report three weeks later were stamped "secret" and shelved. Meanwhile, for nearly a year, administration and intelligence officials continued to publicly assert that the trailers were weapons factories.

The authors of the reports were nine U.S. and British civilian experts -- scientists and engineers with extensive experience in all the technical fields involved in making bioweapons -- who were dispatched to Baghdad by the Defense Intelligence Agency for an analysis of the trailers. Their actions and findings were described to a Washington Post reporter in interviews with six government officials and weapons experts who participated in the mission or had direct knowledge of it.

None would consent to being identified by name because of fear that their jobs would be jeopardized. Their accounts were verified by other current and former government officials knowledgeable about the mission.

Spokesmen for the CIA and the Defense Intelligence Agency both declined to comment on the specific findings of the technical report because it remains classified.

The contents of the final report, "Final Technical Engineering Exploitation Report on Iraqi Suspected Biological Weapons-Associated Trailers," remains classified. But interviews reveal that the technical team was unequivocal in its conclusion that the trailers were not intended to manufacture biological weapons. Those interviewed took care not to discuss the classified portions of their work.

"There was no connection to anything biological," said one expert who studied the trailers.

Separately, the U.S. military announced Tuesday the deaths of five soldiers in Iraq, bringing the number of troops killed this month to at least 32. That figure already surpasses the U.S. military deaths for all of March.

When 31 troops died last month, it was the second-lowest monthly death toll of the war for the U.S. forces, and the fifth month in a row of declining fatalities, according to statistics from the Iraq Coalition Casualty Count, an independent organization.

But the number of deaths has begun to increase.

Many of the fatalities this month have taken place in Anbar province west of Baghdad, the heart of the Sunni Arab insurgency.

This report includes material from The New York Times.

I have nothing to say. It speaks for itself.

Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:56 am 
Green Belt
Green Belt

I thought this was a thread about Doc OC!!!

Really.

Anyhoo.. Didn't Clinton also say there were WMD's?

I know at least Hillary did:

Quote:
"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."

Sen. Hillary Clinton, Oct 10, 2002

And certainly Kerry did:

Quote:
"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ..." Sen. John F. Kerry, Jan. 23. 2003

I'm sorry. I don't usually get political. Especially not in forums. I really did think "Doc OC" when you said "Wonderful leader." :) My sarcasm radar is currently down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:25 am 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

They may have said that, but perhaps that is because that is what they were told just as we were. They also did not send our troops off to invade a country that had nothing to do with the attack on us.

I am pretty sure that Bush knew (was informed) the trailers were not for biological weapons prior to when he told the public that was their specific purpose.

Very few people thought Saddam did not posses WMD's, but I was one of them from the start. It was a facade that worked very well for awhile for him.

Corsair XMS (2X512)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:28 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

I wonder what other disclosures will come out of this, I still believe that Bush had an agenda before he even got into office, and is now having to pay for it.

How naive is he to believe that this is a war that we can win, at best, we will set up a Democratic government, but the three factions that exist will still battle each other as they have for centuries.

A good example of this is the recent Palestinian election, Hamas now holds enough seats in their parliament to form the next cabinet. This means that a faction of terrorest who believe in sending suicide bombers into the streets of Israel to kill indiscrimately are now in control, all of it accomplished through the Democratic process of voting. To quote R. L. Dabney, "The more things change, the more they stay the same".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:18 am 
Black Belt
Black Belt

May I remind people that Teddy Roosevelt was promptly despised and voted out of office after winning WW1.

Also, the opinion of the people was not so glowing pre-DDay in WWII. Many americans were screaming that too many lives were being lost and that we should pull out then also.

History has a way of changing peoples perspectives on things and history is the only way that we will find out the real results on Iraq.

Here are a few interesting sites on what really happened as far as WWII. Of course, those who glorify the US position in WWII might not like it.

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/11/Attackingyourself.shtml

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/docs/41naz.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-war

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:06 pm 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Well, as Hunter S. Thompson said more or less in the interview concerning the events surrounding 9/11, the version of anything that is fed by the government to the public is rarely if ever the actual truth.

Disgusting. :evil:

Corsair XMS (2X512)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:46 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Bush is a mess :roll: :roll: , I think he should just stop talking altogether becuase everytime he say something he digs himself deeper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:06 pm 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Quote:
I am pretty sure that Bush knew (was informed) the trailers were not for biological weapons prior to when he told the public that was their specific purpose.

The intel was sent in via proper channels about 2 days before Bush did his speach. Bush was never informed of this until it went past all the red-tape B/S for several days..

Time will tell....

S-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:55 am 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

tedybear wrote:
Quote:

The intel was sent in via proper channels about 2 days before Bush did his speach. Bush was never informed of this until it went past all the red-tape B/S for several days..

Time will tell....

S-

Fine and dandy. That is the excuse the White House is providing.

:roll:

But why did they continue to spout the same BS for months?

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and walks like a duck...

chances are it is a duck. :wink:

Corsair XMS (2X512)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:07 am 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Everyone including the president makes mistakes

[/url]