Windows Meta Files, or those ending in .wmf...Watch out ...

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

quote , reported in one of the links in this thread ...

Postby tonycarr » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:10 am

Experts from iDefense, F-Secure and SANS agree that no attacks that target the older Windows versions have surfaced. Yet that might only be a matter of time, said Mike Murray, director of vulnerability and exposure research at nCircle, a vulnerability management company in San Francisco.

Releasing a patch for Windows 98 and Windows ME would be the right thing to do, according to Murray. "Even Microsoft acknowledges that the vulnerability exists in those OSes, someone will figure out how to exploit it," he said.

By not fixing the older versions of Windows, Microsoft is leaving its customers out in the cold, Murray said. "In a way they are forcing customers to upgrade, saying that you can continue to use those older operating systems if you want to be vulnerable," he said.
Last edited by tonycarr on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: quoted from one of the linked reviews above , cnet news

Postby Copper » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:23 am

tonycarr wrote:Releasing a patch for Windows 98 and Windows ME would be the right thing to do, according to Murray. "Even Microsoft acknowledges that the vulnerability exists in those OSes, someone will figure out how to exploit it," he said.

By not fixing the older versions of Windows, Microsoft is leaving its customers out in the cold, Murray said. "In a way they are forcing customers to upgrade, saying that you can continue to use those older operating systems if you want to be vulnerable," he said.

The number of pc running 98 or ME is decreasing. so are going to put time and money into fixing it. Microsoft has stated and it is common knowlege they will be end support for these two

At the end of the day the owner of the PC must take responsablity for there own data security

there are some very good firewall and antiviruse software out there to buy or to down load for free. I dont shed any more tears for those who can be bothered to use them. viruses are a way of life on the net and if people dont know that then there to stupid to own a pc
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

I agree ...

Postby tonycarr » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:37 am

COPPER wrote:The number of pc running 98 or ME is decreasing. so are going to put time and money into fixing it. Microsoft has stated and it is common knowlege they will be end support for these two

At the end of the day the owner of the PC must take responsablity for there own data security

there are some very good firewall and antiviruse software out there to buy or to down load for free. I dont shed any more tears for those who can be bothered to use them. viruses are a way of life on the net and if people dont know that then there to stupid to own a pc

Agreed but many have kids and others who depend on us to protect them as they as carelessly flip through world wide-open web . As well as being something less to worry about on a late night surf with our guard down .
E Pluribus Unum
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:51 am

It's either that or giving the free systems with some sort of linux instead of win9x/Me...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security