The Mother Board
TRIBALOVERKILL's Project: Blackout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> System Modification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THRASHER2
Forum Terminator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Blackout Logo Detail wink

THRASHER2's benchmark scores
Project T2's Spinner Case
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thrasher:)
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn,... it's been stupid busy around here. Mom had to go to the hospital again. she's got a DVT(clot) in her leg. WE're thinking its a complication from her leg injury from the motorcycle accident she was in. I think she'll be ok:\ Anyways,... what i was able to get done,..

Aug-22-2007

Respect to A.C Ryan, The Studio, and Myself:) These are kind of like the letters I used for the NKCM reservoir. Theses are bigger and less broken up, simpler, easier to read.

Drilled and ready for the scroll saw.

Cut and filed! Damn! I'm getting good at this!!! LOL!

The back side. Look how clean that is.

Polished buts needs more work:\

Was messing around with a UL LED and some acrylic tubes. That tube is like 6' long! Look at it! LOL. I have many different diameters. This one seemed to work very well.

Much better!

BOOYAKA!!

Yea baby! Come get some!

WHAAAAAAAA!!!! YEA!

UV green backing.

Decided to wire up the LEDs,..... now:)

Sanded the tips of the LEDs off.

Damn. Blurry. I think the cam is focusing on the reflection. Look I'm wearing a shirt! It's crazy dirty though. ick. The LEDS are flush with the surface.

ARGH!!! Whos the man! Damn that looks good,...

Behind the tinted acrylic. Think I will flame polish the Uv green backing to help bring out the light.

Delicious!

God I am loving this LED panel. Cant wait to wire it all up.

Eye candy,...

Ok so yea. As I was working with the Uv LEDs I noticed that some of them were dim as hell. Actually a lot of them. Some were REALLY dim and others were just not as bright as the ones I currently have in the LED panel. I used 3v(2 x 1.5v AA's) to test all of them and I got something different for each one, either nice and bright, a bit dim, and really dim. S@#$ some were so dim they looked dead. What the hell is up with this? I had these LED's for a while in a sealed anti-static bag. I had them for like almost 2 years. they dont expire do they? Studpi question? I should test my other colors to see if I experience the same thing. Whatelse? I dont know. I forgot to get wire to rig these thing up. I have wire but it's wither to thick or borderline to thick or way thin. You think the inner wires of a CAT5 cable is to thin to supply power tot he LEDs? I would like to think no but I'm thinking yes. I have to find a 24 hour store that sells wire, LOL. I'm going back to the studio now,... 11:18pm, BYE!
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a big update. We've got major SIGNAGE HERE PEOPLE!!! My god this thing cam out great,....

Aug-24-2007

Started making some wiring management. Ran these things through the router until I reached 1/4". Then I drilled holes all the way down them to run wires through.

Ran them through the router again. I got them just above 1/8". I got nervous and stopped. I'll sand the rest of the way.

The sides with the holes gets glued down.

Kinda like this.

I ended up breaking one so I broke them all up into groups of 8 and two 5's I think? This worked out fine.

You just slide the wires through:) I rounded the holes too using a file so it easier to get the wires through.

I drilled holes for the LED's.

I didnt know that LED's were tapered. Didnt know you could install them like this. I'll have to remember this for when I make more reservoirs:)

They just make surface on the other side.

Pretty:)

Time to wire the LEDS!!! I went out and bought wire and resistors. I got a 47ohm for series of 3 LEDs and a 220ohm for a single LED. This is going to be tight!

Preview,...

YEA!

So cool looking!!!

Dirty walls:\

Back of the panel lit up.

Behind the tinted acrylic. I noticed something,....

With the window off the letters,....

With the window on the letters. You see how the tinted window is enhancing the glow effect. It's like reflecting it back to the panel of something. Very cool.

These are all with the window on,...

So,... all the wiring again. I happen to like the way all the wiring looks, lol. I think it looks cool.

The studio is wrecked!

Heres one series of 3 and one single. The series has a 1/2 watt because the store only had 1/2 watt 47ohm resistors. The other is a 1/4 watt because thats what I had. The 1/4 watt is plenty.

Clamped for soldering. You know the clamp acts as a heatsink too. always try and isolate your components behind the clamp.

Very nice:)

My series.

God I love this heatshrink! It works so good!

Fits there like so.

Lit up.

Wham. All of them installed.

Behind the text.

Making two very small bus bars out of some small diameter copper pipe. I flattened it and then folded it over so its a nice little bar. I flattened the S@#$ out of it.

10 holes.

I know someone asked me what bus bars are for. This is what they are for. That looks so cool.

Looks like a friggin weld! LOL.

Ready to go!

Power source.

Hot glue for final step. I'm going to let this heat up. In the mean time,...

Access hole into the pump tower where the connection will be made to power up the back panel. Once I have this panel on, I wont have to remove it ever again.

Here you go. I hot glued any exposed metal. I dont want anything touching them!

All done.

Installed.

OH MY GOD THIS LOOKS SO GREAT!!! It looks like a capsule or something. Not just lit up text on a side panel,... omg I am so loving this.

So yea! Stupid question but what you think! I still have to tweak the cover on there a bit buts it's done. All my LEDs are fine. They were just under powered. Some of them just seem to respond better with less power. this I dont know why. Going back to the studio now. I was in there for 29 hours. I think thats the longest I have been in there at one time.

Wallpaper(1600x1200):

tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,... didn't tweak the mobo rear cover. All I have to do really is sand down some washers a bit that I using along with some 1/8" spacers. They are a bit taller then they are suppose to be. Maybe a 1/32"? I dont know. Instead,....

Aug-25-2007

First,... before putting away all the soldering stuff,... I had to make this this. Been wanting make this for a while. More Uv LEDs to better light up the stuff I make. The one LED flashlight wasn't really cutting it.

See:) Much better:)

Now. Back to the radiator tower:) My goodness. This thing brings back memories. I made this thing like 2 years ago!!! More then 2 years ago!

Taking it apart.

This thing is using 8-32 bolts. They have to go. I think im going to be ordering some button head hex 6-32's now.

The canopy cover. This thing is so damn cool.

Old school. I used these slightly rounded nuts to center the posts. Going to do something better then this.

Gawd,... this just looks so hardcore to me! Rock friggin solid looking. Damn.

Almost there.

Heatercores from danger den.

LOL! Look at all these! Look at all the nuts and washers!!! I'm going to load this rad tower up with threadserts now. Will make this thing that much better and easyier to put together.

I used 1/8" angle aluminum?!?!? What was I thinking! HA HA HA. This thing is a tank. I swear. You guyz would have to hold it and understand what I mean. Not because it's heavy but because its like tight soild sturdy.

All the aluminum.

Acrlyic. I'm going to have to use my polishing skills to finish off those edges:)

Cant forget these!

So nice. It's amazing. But I can see the transformation from what I was to what I am now. Meaning I was accurate back then but looking at this thing,... I can see places where I "settled". I'm not going to try and fix anything, maybe just tweak or adjust a bit but thats it.

Look at this! It was a Lian-Li under all the tape! So pretty! and clean!

This has to go too. Not the bracket, the reservoir. I have to make a custom reservoir for this machine.

I love this bracket,....

Ewwwwwwwwww,...

Sanded all of the aluminum down to 80grit. Oh,.... I did mention that I'm going to polish all this out right? LOL:)

THRASHER2
Forum Terminator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You SIR!! Are the MADMAN of PLEXI! and all things that BLING!

THRASHER2's benchmark scores
Project T2's Spinner Case
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THRASHER2 wrote:
You SIR!! Are the MADMAN of PLEXI! and all things that BLING!

ha ha ha, thanks man:)
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What up people! Update.

Aug-28-2007

Ok,... this is how I install thread-serts. I'm using 6-32 thread-serts which require a 7/32" hole. Done.

Now,... When you go to push in the thread-sert, you should be able to push it in with your thumb up to the knurls I believe their called. In the pic I was not able too. All you have to do is file just a bit and try again. Try not to file to much so that it goes all the way in effortlessly. It's not THAT bad but its not good. Like resistor's,.... thread-serts have a tolerance too. Some are bigger then others. Not by much,... but when you go to stick some of them into the holes you drilled,... you will see what I mean.

This is ideal.

Now,...using something like this socket which is JUST big enough to fit over the thread-sert,....

You whack it like this! This pushs the thread-sert all the way in. You do this so the knurls kind of cut their way in. They help keep the thread-serts from spinning in the hole. Try not to hit to hard for you will dent up your aluminum.

Make sure you get it in all the way too. After you drill your holes you should sand away the burr from the hole because it could keep it from being pushed in all the way.

A thread-sert is really two piecess. It only starts off as one piece. Once you go to set it the top piece breaks off and get pushed or pulled into the lower piece expanding the lower piece around your aluminum keeping it in place. But this does not keep the top piece or what is not the inside piece from coming out. Thread-serts really only work from one side. The side we're looking at in the picture is not that side. The screw goes in through the other side pulling another piece of aluminum to this piece of aluminum,... pulling the top/ inside piece of the thread-serts towrads the aluminum. You get me?

Heres the lower piece before expansion. You see the gaps around the lower piece? That gets filled up when the lower piece is expanded.

These are set/expanded.

Heres the other side. this is the side where the bolt gets inserted.

Dont forget to rethread them. With all the banging to set them,... the threads are totally F'ed up. When rethreading them.... make sure you use a bit of cutting oil or something on the tap and blow off the metal shards after each tap. You dont want to dislodge the inside piece of the threadsert. Chances are you will loosen up a few. If this happens,... install new one. After you remove the old,... the hole you drilled will be a bit stretched out. Try and use the biggest thread-sert of the size your using for the second time around. Remember what I said about threadsert tolerance? Find the biggest ones to use for this situation. MAKE SURE YOU RETAP THEM STRAIGHT TOO!

With a little bit of sanding they actually look pretty nice.

WhaLAA! This one is done.

Lets start putting this thing back together with the thread-serts now.

Now,... I need spacers for my posts. I dont feel like using those sheetrock anchors this time around. I got out my good ole mitre saw. Hooked to the vaccuum to keep from making a mess.

Using the wood as a stop block. Its about 1/2" fromt eh blade.

There you go. 1/2" strips of 1/4" acrylic.

Yea,... the vaccuum is a real big friggin help,...

I sent the strips through again and ended up with these.

I need holes through the center so I set up this jig so all I have to do is put them in and drill! I can drill three at a time. The board on top keep the pieces from riding up the bit one I pass though the last one. The almuminum strip is just making up for the 1/16" gap at the top thats it.

Done. Drilling that is.

Loading them up on these 8-32 bolts.

Done.

Very nice.

Time to polish them. So nice.

This is how I polished these. I spun them at 2170rpm.

I used rubbing compound and a,...... paper towel to polish them. You see how the aluminum wipes off onto the paper towel? This goes the smae for the wheel. It has to be cleaned off because you cant polish with it. I swear I had this paper towel smoking at one point, LOL. So were my fingers:(

Very nice.

The old spacers. ICK.

tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh,... want to finish this radiator tower before I have to go back to work.

Aug-31-2007

Bling,................... BLING!

The edges of the sides were polished too seeing that they will be very visible.

I did that with this buffing wheel I altered,.... It's very firm so it's ideal for polishing edges.

You guyz have no idea of how much of a pain in the arse it was to polish all that. No becaue it's a lot but because of the weird shapes. I destroyed the studio polishing those things. I have never seen this place so trashed in my time here! All of this black fuzzy soot everywhere!

So i clean the place up good. This is what I have now. I need to finish the windows now.

I even cleaned up the office / storage area too:)

Windows! Have to finish these,...

Bad pic but that edge has to go.

HA HA HA,... your probably thinking,... what the hell are those! Well,.... as I was sanding the edges/corners of the OLD windows,... I managed to scratch the $%^!@# out of them. I layed them directly on the table and you know whats next. they were just scratch,... there were gouges! I didnt feel like sanding them down and polishing them. so im making new ones.

This time I'm doing the corners and edging the right way:)

TA DAH! You do all the corners first and then,....

... do the edges.

Wham. Perfect. I still have to drill holes and polish the edges.

Look how nice. Just needs some light sanding and polishing.

Preview.

These little windows were not scratched but still,... I am making them again because the screw holes are a bit to close to the edge. Agreed?

Canopy. The canopy frame is polished on both sides:) Reason being because the towers main shell is polished. I dont want to reflecting the ugly underside of the canopy:)

Damn thats just to cool.

AUGUST IS OVER:( Time to go back to work. This means that I wont be spending as much time in the studio as I was this past month. Actually it might just be a bit slower in the studio then it was before I went on vacation. Reason being that I have to bust my arse to pay off my bills. I was presented with an oppertunity to help pay off my bills REALLY quick. Or atleast as a lot faster. I have to really bust my arse though. I will try and get as much time in the studio as possible. Blackout and is just about nearing completion, kinda. It's sure does feel like it! It's almost done. I want to get it done right away. But bills come first as you all know. I'm going to shower and go back to the studio to finish these windows OH! Remember the stock grills I was using for the fans? Not using those. I making my own to match the ones on the case. I have to do that too! Damn.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the radiator tower is alomst done. I just have a few more things to do.

Sep-01-2007

Putting it back together just to take the next few pics,...

Canopy,....

Made these as a temp solution.

They are going to help keep the post bolts errect. "UH Huh hu hu huuh,... he said errect"

The posts slide right over them. I had to loosen the a bit. I cant turn the bolts with the rounded nut wrenched on there. I have cheese head hex bolts coming in the mail. They will make installing the tower to the case a lot easier.

Eye candy,...

This tower is something else. First,... it's heavy! Holy hell its heavy. But,... i kinda like it:) It's like,... I cant explain it. I said this before,... its like heavy rock solid. You guyz would have to hold it to understand what I mean. Its like a unit. So cool. In the future though,... have to lighten thing up a bit. Might start working with 1/32" aluminum for shell and covers. Not sure. Anyways,... you see the tube panel flipped over? Well,... this is the side thats suppose to be facing out. I have to polish this side now. No big deal. Now,... what about dem grillz? They have to go right? I mean,... they look good as hell with the polished aluminum, but I made my own grillz elsewhere on the case. These dont fit in you know what I mean? So,...

Going to make new ones:) Kinda like this:) I jhave to make an acrylic spacer like I did for the others but,... im going to ask even though i'm sure I know what you all are going to say. I know what I want too. Should the acrylic spacer should be tinted or green? I used tinted for all the other grillz. I ask about the green because under the wheel I use green as spacers for the wheels remember? I'm thinking tinted. i plan on loading up the rad tower with green LEDs to give it some of the green that the case has. Yea. Im thinking tinted. What you about you?

These will be the grillz. Cut this from a panel of aluminum I got from a scrap yard. Seriously neeeds some sanding...

80 grit @ I believe 1560rpm.

Right after polishing with a buffing wheel,...

Right after polishing with a polishing pad thingy,...

So yea. Things I still have to do for this tower before its totally complete,... install LEDs, which will require some kind of acrylic mounting brackets or something. I have to make some kind of bracket to hold in place the chrome shower hose that will pass from the case to the rad tower. The shower hose will be used to pass wires to and from. And lastly,... I want to cut the hose barbs down just a bit and then install new hoses. After that I think thats it?!?!? Will be time to move on to something else. Either I'll continue working on the PSU after I buy more shower hose or,... I think I will design a custom blackout reservoir;) I know what I want too:) Anyways,... I have to friggin work tonight, EEEEWWWW. OH! Forgot to tell you guyz,... my car is F@#$ed! Car was knocking while driving. Took it to the machanic and he said its the tranny. 4th and 5th gear are done PLUS, both CV joints are shot, engine mounts and worn out, needs new exhaust,...I think thats it?!? The car is only worth like $500 in ok condition. So I am going to just donate it to charity or something. Im back to driving my gas guzzling pick-up truck. Life just keeps getting better and better:) Well atleast I get to sleep in my bed now. I slept in my bed like twice during august. I slept on the friggin floor of the studio for an entire month?!?!? Geeez.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> System Modification All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: