AMD Vesus Intel Battle of the Dual-Core CPUs

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

AMD Vesus Intel Battle of the Dual-Core CPUs

Postby MoboCop » Mon May 09, 2005 6:20 pm

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby joshvee » Mon May 09, 2005 6:55 pm

Because we all know how much better the 4800+ dual core is than the 840 dual core, I think what people really would like to see (I know I would) is a comparison between both these dual cores and their single core counterparts. This will determine if us gamers should make the move to dual core. (I dont think so just yet) Also many people actualy want to know if the dual cores are actualy slower than their single core counterparts for single threaded aplications and games.

If they are indeed slower, which many people suspect, then many people will stick to single cores for now. This I think is far more important and far more relevant to this sites members than a comparison between dual cores.

We want to know weather we should switch to dual core in the first place. (well I do)
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Oylpann » Mon May 09, 2005 7:05 pm

I'm convinced.. anyone for some bank robbing so we can afford one of these bad boys? :lol:

We spent a week of our time just getting the board to even recognize their own damn CPU, which was more than a mere headache as it sent us back on our schedule by days and wasted many precious man hours just fiddling with the board. Then there were the constant heat issues, which plagued the Intel platform even more, leaving a bad taste in my mouth for the first time.

8O 8O

I get a lot of email from people saying how they wish they had this job or how easy we reviewers have it, but they only see the rosy side of the picture not the sixteen hour days we spend sometimes just getting the equipment to function properly. That is not even mentioning the stress we are under to meet NDA dates and get proper and accurate unbiased reviews posted for our readers.

I've been there and said that. The wishing part..not the part about how its a cake job. :oops:

Trust me; not all is roses in the reviewer's game.

Thanks for clearing that up for me chief. :wink:
"You cant hug your family with Nuclear Arms"

Asus F2A85-V Pro
AMD A10-5800K APU @ 4.5GHz
8GB G. Skill 1866
550w PSU
Hyper 212 Evo
Oylpann
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Oylpann » Mon May 09, 2005 7:29 pm

One more quick question. How do duallys fare in overclocking? I havent seen any reviews where they have done so (I've only read this review and the one Joshvee pointed out on CNet).

That might also be a factor for some enthusiasts :)
"You cant hug your family with Nuclear Arms"

Asus F2A85-V Pro
AMD A10-5800K APU @ 4.5GHz
8GB G. Skill 1866
550w PSU
Hyper 212 Evo
Oylpann
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Doc Overclock » Mon May 09, 2005 8:16 pm

To clarify a point asked,, Gaming at the moment will not get much improvement from Dual-Core technology, but give it a year and I am sure we will see vast improvements in performance as games beging to get written with code supporting Dual-Core technology...For multitasking the 4800+ for once beat the pants off Intel.... 8O 8O
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby joshvee » Mon May 09, 2005 8:46 pm

Doc Overclock wrote:To clarify a point asked,, Gaming at the moment will not get much improvement from Dual-Core technology, but give it a year and I am sure we will see vast improvements in performance as games beging to get written with code supporting Dual-Core technology...For multitasking the 4800+ for once beat the pants off Intel.... 8O 8O
You say that gaming will not get MUCH improvement from Dual-Core technology. Does that mean that the dual cores run single thread programs (such as all current games) ever so slightly BETTER than single cores? coz what Ive seen so far suggests that Gaming at the moment will not only NOT get ANY improvement from Dual-Core technology, but may actualy slightly suffer. Thats why I'd like to see a dual core vs single core review.

Doc Writes: No way is gaming impaired by Dual-Core it is just not fully taken advantage of yet,,,
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Doc... U Rock

Postby derek4431 » Tue May 10, 2005 12:52 am

Awesome review! Who said your job was cake? Send'em to Florida and I'll flog them with a wet carp!

I'm pretty much sold on the AMD package you reviewed, but since I build a box about every 3 years, my debate will now be how much RAM...? does 2 gig become overkill for my MS Office, Adobe, browser, Photoshop, virus scan, etc... multitasking (don't forget the 35% time used to game)... now I read where June 1 is unrealistic for getting one of these X2's (AnanTech), and maybe Q4 will be the soonest... ARRGH!

:x [/quote]
"Great spirits have often found violent opposition from mediocre minds"

You reap what you soe
derek4431
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Doc Overclock » Tue May 10, 2005 7:29 am

Thanks Derek.... :D :D
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby EmilyB » Tue May 10, 2005 8:57 am

joshvee wrote:
Doc Overclock wrote:To clarify a point asked,, Gaming at the moment will not get much improvement from Dual-Core technology, but give it a year and I am sure we will see vast improvements in performance as games beging to get written with code supporting Dual-Core technology...For multitasking the 4800+ for once beat the pants off Intel.... 8O 8O
You say that gaming will not get MUCH improvement from Dual-Core technology. Does that mean that the dual cores run single thread programs (such as all current games) ever so slightly BETTER than single cores? coz what Ive seen so far suggests that Gaming at the moment will not only NOT get ANY improvement from Dual-Core technology, but may actualy slightly suffer. Thats why I'd like to see a dual core vs single core review.

Doc Writes: No way is gaming impaired by Dual-Core it is just not fully taken advantage of yet,,,

Joshvee the article in this following thread may help a little. From reading this, IMHO HT and DC are totally useless until software catches up and makes use of multiple threads.
http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... hp?t=71507
EmilyB

Postby joshvee » Tue May 10, 2005 9:24 am

joshvee wrote:You say that gaming will not get MUCH improvement from Dual-Core technology. Does that mean that the dual cores run single thread programs (such as all current games) ever so slightly BETTER than single cores? coz what Ive seen so far suggests that Gaming at the moment will not only NOT get ANY improvement from Dual-Core technology, but may actualy slightly suffer. Thats why I'd like to see a dual core vs single core review.

OK first of all, Damn it man, make your own post. dont add to mine......how rude lol :P

Secondly, so your saying an Intel 840EE dual core @3.2GHz would keep up with a 3.2EE single core in single threaded aps? or a 640? Well then again the 840 should beat the 640 even in single threaded programs because the 840 is an EE edition and the 640 is not.

EmilyB wrote:Joshvee the article in this following thread may help a little. From reading this, IMHO HT and DC are totally useless until software catches up and makes use of multiple threads.
http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... hp?t=71507

Oh thanks Em I missed that one. :D
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site