Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI Motherboard Review

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Postby Oylpann » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:51 pm

HollowPoint69 wrote:
Oylpann wrote:
HollowPoint69 wrote:The people who want to build and just leave it at that are not the people who are going to buy an SLI system.


Why do you say that? With an SLI system, if you have quality hardware, a decent cpu, ram and vidcards you shouldnt need to tweak it. It should be able to play any current game out there at around

Thats like saying anyone that buys a high performance sports car will still not be happy with what they have and rush out to buy nitrous injectors and one of those retarded looking 6 foot tall spoilers. :lol:


Actually, the people who mod there cars by stuff like civics and stuff, and mod it to make it perform higher and the like.


Yes, I know, but the added a 6' spoiler isnt going to get you very far. Of course I live in Oklahoma and the majority of car "modders" here where I work top out at civics with the fugly spoiler and the fat mufflers. :lol:

HollowPoint69 wrote:Kinda the way that most of the people who overclock won't go out and buy a Dell XPS or some ridiculous "top-of-the-line" computer, but instead they'll build one.


I think there are two main reasons for people to build over buying a complete system:

1. People that just enjoy doing it themselves. Nothing wrong with that. I hope to do it myself in the second half of this year.

2. Cost. Alot cheaper to build then buy one from a manufacturer (but prices are getting close on some rigs now. (ABS Ultimate M6 reviewed in Max PC had an FX-55, dual 6800 ultras, 1 gig corsair, lian-li case and extra goodies for about $3600)

What does that have to do with overclocking or SLI rigs though? Were you saying above that people that want to "just build" a system are not going to go with an SLI solution for their build or did you mean that they are not going to go out and buy a pre-built SLI rig from some manufacturer? You lost me on that post.

HollowPoint69 wrote:And as to the first part? Thank you for not reading my previous posts. I stated that when the system starts to become obsolete, then i'm sure many enthusiasts will try to save some money and overclock a bit.


I cant dispute that. I would. I dont have a clue when it comes to overclocking though. And at the same time, alot of people might just go out and buy better vid-cards too. I guess the key word there is enthusiasts though.

HollowPoint69 wrote:Oh, and I'm not an overclocker by any means, but I know those who are. I'm on stock cooling on everything.


You went back to stock though. I saw you were OC'd a bit in your previous sig. :wink: I have to ask though. Can you tell a difference from what your rig was clocked at (cant remember where you had it clocked to) as compared to "stock"? You have a nice rig there HP. I'm jealous! :twisted: I'm sure your system can more then handle any game out right now at high settings with a great resolution (1024x768 with some AF and AA enabled).
"You cant hug your family with Nuclear Arms"

Asus F2A85-V Pro
AMD A10-5800K APU @ 4.5GHz
8GB G. Skill 1866
550w PSU
Hyper 212 Evo
Oylpann
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Postby poiuy223 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:34 pm

Doc Overclock wrote:I feel this entire thread is bare of any real help or comments and only opinions of a few being warriors for OVERCLOCKERS,,,

GAMER=OVERCLOCKER 100% of the time is the only argument I see here and it is a hollow and misguided point as NOT ALL GAMERS ARE OVERCLOCKERS.

Either prove ALL GAMERS ARE OR JUST get off this rave about it.


Doc, how many times in my posts did I say that ALL gamers are overclockers? NOT A SINGLE TIME. For some reason you keep understanding it wrong. I said that you CANNOT disclude the overclockers in the term "gamers". And hence the reason why you can't say overclocking the motherboard is a moot point for gamers, because it is not. My argument with you is not on this review, but your perception that overclocking an SLI motherboard is a "moot point". It is not a moot point and won't be until everyone in the world can buy dual 6800GT/Ultra and FX55. The whole gaming performance is going to be carried by dual video cards and will hit a performance wall because of CPU bottleneck. In order to break that bottleneck, you have to overclock the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Your systems have been powered by the latest high tech hardware. When was the last time you played with more affordable equipment that the general mass gamers can buy? If you're going to tell me to step down from overclocking and face reality, you'll know that reality can't afford to spend $2000 on CPU and video cards alone.

Doc Replies: I said get down from your high-horse on this subject not step down from overclocking,, if I was reviewing a board aimed at overclocking and it did not overclock well that would be a different thing. :P :P
poiuy223
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:00 pm

Postby Doc Overclock » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:39 pm

From The reviews conclusion: Although some may complain that overclocking options are spare, this board's target consumer is the high-end gamer using SLI card configurations. Taking that in mind and with both PCIe slots utilized in an SLI-Mode, overclocking is something of a moot point to many gamers, as frame rates are at their highest point when setup in this configuration.

The board is targeted at the high-end gamer not the budget gamer John,,so why are you pushing this.. :x :x

There I changed the ending to more ratify my statement.. :idea: :idea:

Are we done with this yet????? :?: :?: :?: :?:
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm
 
Posts: 3328
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 12:01 am
Location: Star Fleet Academy

Postby poiuy223 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:55 pm

i can make 3 more arguments but i dont see the point. you're not listening
poiuy223
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:00 pm

Postby Doc Overclock » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:39 am

I got your point a long time ago,, it is you who are not getting it John....
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm
 
Posts: 3328
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 12:01 am
Location: Star Fleet Academy

Postby poiuy223 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:52 am

no i get your point. you keep telling that not all gamers are overclockers. i never said they were. i said overclockers are included in gamers. i keep telling you that hamsters are rodents and you keep hearing that all rodents are hamsters. you tell me that the board is aimed at high end enthusiasts, ok fine.

do you remember what nvidia said at their sli press? i was there with you. if i can quote correctly, they were "excited that it will not only appeal to current gamers who can afford dual cards but also provide future gamers the option of adding a second card when prices come down". it was somewhere along that line.

sli motherboards are not always targeted at the high end enthusiasts. even budget gamers buy them because they have the option of adding a second card later on. so in the meantime they use one card, for now. when a 6800gt becomes dirt cheap at $200, they can add another one down the road.

im not going to start another argument on what sli is for and who should use it. the fact is that overclocking in a motherboard is not a moot point for gamers. it will never be. if you got my point a long time ago, you wouldn't say my argument is weak and think all the posts we've made was useless. i get that your argument is that the sli doesn't need overclocking options because if you have dual cards running, gaming performance will be superior. yes i agree, even when gamers have dual 6600gts. but to say that people dont need to overclock once they have dual cards, i dont agree on. if so, all sli motherboards would be the same, regardless of features and price. then might as well buy the cheapest sli motherboard available. i think ecs has one.

Doc Writes: I never said anything about overclocking being a moot point for gamers only that with this board in an SLI configuration may be a moot point for SOME gamers....
poiuy223
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:00 pm

Postby EmilyB » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:05 am

I thought SLI was there to take away the necessity to overclock :?

For non-professional gamers I beleive that more than 60FPS is just not noticeable. If we can run 60FPS at maximum settings with the aid of SLI, then why do we need to overclock?

I agree in the professional gaming world where stability and "non-gaming" use takes second place to gaming performance, the gamer will want to overclock everything he/she can get his/her hands on, just for the sake of squeezing every last drop of performance out of the system in case 1FPS makes the difference between winning a gaming tournament and not winning a gaming tournament.

I believe, if you look at the general population of computer users, there are far far far more people that play games then there are people that just play games. And so for the vast majority (possibly 90%) of computer users who play games in amongst doing other things, overclocking is just not a consideration.

Case in point, I do play games but I dont overclock!

John you have a flawless and perfect argument if we were only talking about professional gamers, but thankfully were not. We are discussing gaming in general, and in general overclocking is not a critical, vital, "cant live without it", "must have".
EmilyB
 

Postby poiuy223 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:26 am

EmilyB wrote:I thought SLI was there to take away the necessity to overclock :?

For non-professional gamers I beleive that more than 60FPS is just not noticeable. If we can run 60FPS at maximum settings with the aid of SLI, then why do we need to overclock?

I agree in the professional gaming world where stability and "non-gaming" use takes second place to gaming performance, the gamer will want to overclock everything he/she can get his/her hands on, just for the sake of squeezing every last drop of performance out of the system in case 1FPS makes the difference between winning a gaming tournament and not winning a gaming tournament.

I believe, if you look at the general population of computer users, there are far far far more people that play games then there are people that just play games. And so for the vast majority (possibly 90%) of computer users who play games in amongst doing other things, overclocking is just not a consideration.

Case in point, I do play games but I dont overclock!

John you have a flawless and perfect argument if we were only talking about professional gamers, but thankfully were not. We are discussing gaming in general, and in general overclocking is not a critical, vital, "cant live without it", "must have".

actually nvidia pushed for overclocking their SLI board. there has to be a reason why they made up ntune. they even actually brag about their intel sli's oveclocking potential. :wink:

as for "non professional" gamers. i dont find myself to be a professional gamer. in fact i suck in most games. but to me, i'd like to have eye candy and have the performance. it makes up for the deaths i get in games. and although this may not apply to everyone, i do notice a difference between 60fps and 100fps. human eyes can only catch up to 60fps, or something like that. but when you're playing games, you can tell that everything runs smoother and nothing twitches. if you play CS, you'll know that a slight delay or slowdown will cause another death. i've played with a 9500np and average 50fps with zero eye candy and it plays fine. but when i get to my testbed and run at 90-100fps with all eye candy, there is a huge difference. it's just more preferable. of course some overclocking was done to get the CPU to quit its bottleneck.

and yes to all gamers overclocking isn't a necessity. i never said it was. but to know the fact that the number of overclockers or those who are interested is growing rapidly shows that there is a need for overclocking potential and options. to say that it doesnt matter defeats the purpose of having a good motherboard. if you buy any motherboard from any reputable manufacturer, the board will run stable. what sets them apart are the included features, price, and overclocking options and potential. ruling out the overclocking area doesnt give a fair judgment when comparing gigabyte to asus, both of which are the most expensive boards and offer the best features.

Doc writes; Yeah every person buys there board to overclock and every Gigabyte board is geared toward overclocking (NOT). Go find somewhere else to rant and rave as you keep beating a dead horse.
poiuy223
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:00 pm

Postby MoboCop » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:46 am

Both opinions are valid.

The hardcore gamer who wants to overclock SLI has enough info on this board from the review to make an informed choice.

Lets move on.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master
 
Posts: 8854
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Fresno

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest