Troubleshooting notes

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Ghen » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:59 pm

Newish motherboards all turn off automatically if they don't get information from CPUFAN (most of the time CPUFAN1) make sure you always plug your heatsink into this power slot on the motherboard instead of SYSFAN or AUXFAN or any other power connection. Sometimes CPUFAN isn't the closest one to the socket.
Symptoms of this are basically the computer turns on for 1-3 seconds and either beeps extremely fast or (most often) just turns back off.

Thats my favorite (and only) tip since It sticks in my mind after build 2 was up but not staying on :)
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby colinJohn » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:53 am

Newish motherboards all turn off automatically if they don't get information from CPUFAN (most of the time CPUFAN1) make sure you always plug your heatsink into this power slot on the motherboard instead of SYSFAN or AUXFAN or any other power connection. Sometimes CPUFAN isn't the closest one to the socket.
Symptoms of this are basically the computer turns on for 1-3 seconds and either beeps extremely fast or (most often) just turns back off.

got it - thanks.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:23 am

I would sticky this, but we have something very similar already.

http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... hp?t=39873
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby colinJohn » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:04 am

I would sticky this, but we have something very similar already.

yes I know - I gave Peanya a name check as I've used most of what he did for new builds and also included the follow up to his post. It was also his great post that got me started on this. I've had some time on my hands lately and thought it would be useful just to bring everybodies efforts here up to date, in one place and to include support for problems with existing systems.

So I've added a non new build section, Power Supply section and general troubleshooting tips; mostly from these boards but also from other places and my own experience.

In the end I'm hoping to make a comprehensive and readable guide to get people passed the first steps of troubleshooting before posting. I'm also happy to keep it up to date and expand it as necessary. I'm already conscious that it's predominantly hardware related and sections on common software problem and maybe a virus/spyware starter would be useful.

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby colinJohn » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:30 am

As sabre's now kindly 'stuck' this - I've edited the original (first) post with the actual guide and will try continue to keep it up to date. Please let me know of any additions or corrections. Ta.

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby colinJohn » Tue May 10, 2005 1:06 am

I've added a bit on spyware - if anybody could critique it, I'd be grateful

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby n3kr0 » Wed May 11, 2005 3:26 pm

Hie there, i've read the post, just want to post my problem don't have
time to test now:

I have a new motherboard AsRock VIAPT880 P4, the the PC won't turn
on, it's like there's no power from the cable, but the cable is connected
properly, here's the thing, i tried to unplug the ATX 2.03 connector
and connect it again, i did not unplug the cable from the PC and when
the connector touched receiver, like half of the way not the click the we
expect to hear to be properly connected, the PC turned on and the CPU
FAN star to work normaly, but I got scared because the ATX connector
was not properly connected so i not brutally but quickly finished the "way"
and connected to hear the click then... the PC just shuts down.
Tried to turned it on using the button and nothing.
What the hell... my Power Supply is a 230w (max 300, at least is what is
written there) my old motherboard was micro-atx.
Could this be the problem?
n3kr0
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby colinJohn » Wed May 11, 2005 11:18 pm

hi, welcome to motherboards

this post should really be in the tech help section; not many people will see it here - maybe a mod will shift it for you if he sees it..........

It seems you could have a poor connection into the motherboard power socket. If you look at the male PSU connector, from the top, you'll see the individual brass pins inside each of the small plastic sockets. Make sure that none of them are pushed out - they should all be pushed right in.

With all the power leads disconnected push the connector into the board 5 or 6 times to clean the connectors. Then push it on totally.

Clear the CMOS and see if it retarts.

That PSU may well be underpowered but you'd need to tell us what the specifications of it are - usually printed on the case - and the rest of your PC set-up before we could be sure

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby colinJohn » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:53 am

that's a nasty - I do mention it under power supply at the end but probably worth moving it up as I guess ia PSU could be shipped in the the wrong position.

I've never tried (I'm UK) - what happens if a 120V supply is fed into a 240V switched PSU? Any damage or just nothing? any LEDs, any fans?

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Southwind25 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:09 am

colinJohn wrote:that's a nasty - I do mention it under power supply at the end but probably worth moving it up as I guess ia PSU could be shipped in the the wrong position.

I've never tried (I'm UK) - what happens if a 120V supply is fed into a 240V switched PSU? Any damage or just nothing? any LEDs, any fans?

I've seen several that were set to 240V and caused no damage over the years. Pretty easy fix when someone brings on in and that repairs it :lol:
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support