Searching through all of someones posts is a nightmare

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Searching through all of someones posts is a nightmare

Postby joshvee » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:27 pm

OK I'm writing a topic in the folding forum and I needed some quotes from some ppl that were written a few weeks ago. So I clicked on the persons profile that I want to quote on and clicked find all posts from so and so to find the quotes...............................AAAAARGGGG why in gods green earth aren't the full posts shown or an option to show full posts. Like just the first 3 lines of each post is there.....What the heck use is that. In the majority of posts the first 3 lines are taken up by someone Else's quote. And you can't remember how the post started so you have to read each post in its entirety so you have to open each post one at a time to find what you want. AAAARRRGGG At least if the whole post was shown in the first place you could quickly scan over them and find what you want. But no you have to click on every post that you think might contain the info you want, wait for the page to load and click back if it's not the correct page and move on to the next one......hell if your on 56k or ISDN and just annoying if your on ADSL.

What harm would it be to have the full posts? or at very least an option to show full posts?
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby MoboCop » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:09 pm

dont know what harm there would be, but as I have mentioned many times before, I dont mod the forum software.

So the question really is, are we getting the feature in the next phpbb release or is it time to look for something more powerful and switch to another forum software?
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Toby B. » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:23 pm

If you know what forum section you want to search and you know who the author is, then use the "search" feature at the top of the page and search by author in the required forum section. This should cut down on some of the off topic posts/threads...
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby joshvee » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:21 pm

Toby B. wrote:If you know what forum section you want to search and you know who the author is, then use the "search" feature at the top of the page and search by author in the required forum section. This should cut down on some of the off topic posts/threads...

Good point but it will still only show the first few lines of each post won't it?
As mobo said, the software would need an update.

OH correction. you can choose upto 100 characters per post.
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site