Foxconn 925A01-8EKRS2 Motherboard Review

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Foxconn 925A01-8EKRS2 Motherboard Review

Postby MoboCop » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:06 pm

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

a suggestion

Postby adrian_k » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:16 am

I don't have a great deal of exp. w/ building pc's so when it says something like 'the power cable goes over the processor' or the 'video card blocks the ram' I find it hard to visualise.
Si it'd be nice to have a photo of the problem just to see how bad it is.

cheers
Adrian
adrian_k
Initiate
Initiate

Postby MoboCop » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:38 am

board shot

http://www.motherboards.org/imageview.h ... s/7421.jpg

If you look at above image. Check the lime green slot in middle of board (pci express x16 or video slot). Just below this slot and to the right you can see two sets of memory slots (yellow and blue). Now when a video card is installed it is typically longer than the slot by at least a few inches and in a layout like this will prevent you from opening the white locking mechanisms on the memory slots.

As for the power cable you can see its location at the bottom right corner of the motherboard directly in line with the cpu socket. A better ergonomic placement would be somewhere in the top left side of the board.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby evasive » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:30 am

As for the power cable you can see its location at the bottom right corner of the motherboard directly in line with the cpu socket. A better ergonomic placement would be somewhere in the top left side of the board.

Provided you have a power supply that can reach with its cable. Value power supplies have very short cabling sometimes, I can see what segment this board is pointed at already...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby profofpcs » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:43 am

ok, are they trying to phase out IDE altogether? on all the newer boards ive seen, there's only one IDE port, and the cdroms need them. so, are they going the way of the isa slots? will we soon HAVE to buy SATA drives?

depression is just anger without the enthusiasm
anger is just danger without the "d"
profofpcs
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby EmilyB » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:11 am

cacrusn wrote:ok, are they trying to phase out IDE altogether? on all the newer boards ive seen, there's only one IDE port, and the cdroms need them. so, are they going the way of the isa slots? will we soon HAVE to buy SATA drives?

I have seen some SATA DVD drives, so I imagine IDE will be phased out eventually :(
EmilyB

Postby dallascisco » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:52 am

EmilyB wrote:
cacrusn wrote:ok, are they trying to phase out IDE altogether? on all the newer boards ive seen, there's only one IDE port, and the cdroms need them. so, are they going the way of the isa slots? will we soon HAVE to buy SATA drives?

I have seen some SATA DVD drives, so I imagine IDE will be phased out eventually :(

Eventually, I've seen some rom drives using sata but that will take time.
dallascisco
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby snap355 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:57 pm

Will SCSI ever be mainstream for desktops or it's reserved for servers because of costs and such?
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Ryn » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:18 am

snap355 wrote:Will SCSI ever be mainstream for desktops or it's reserved for servers because of costs and such?

i dont think SCSI will be mainstream for desktops since it is designed to be used 24/7 on a server.
Ryn
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site