Power Supply Requirements

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby video » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:17 am

If you really want to know the difference in them, Cross them over, lookup each component in them, everyone talks about this that & the other, you can see what they are inside. Take the numbers and cross them over to one another. You will be supprised what you find. Get yourself an ECG, NTE book and goto work.

Regs,
trans,
res,
caps,
ziners,
diodes,
look them up and you will soon find out. Just what they have in them. Just because its a name brand PSU, Doesent mean sqwat.

http://nte01.nteinc.com/nte/NTExRefSemiProd.nsf/$$Search?OpenForm

Take an astron power supply ver's the Pyamid power supply, both same components, but the Astron has all sockets in it. Thats the only difference in them. Cost for an average Astron supply nothing under 100.00
Price for the Pyramid supply, starting at 45.00
Price and a name, Dont mean anything.
video
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Twisty » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:44 am

If you stick to the well known names then you can be quite sure of what you are getting.

Pulling apart the PSU and working out exactly what goes on inside would be great if you were considering buying in quantity, but not viable if for a home user.

SMPS design is complicated and the only way one is going to determine the best PSU is by looking at hard facts from tests.

Assasin' did the 'larger' PSU draw 0.2 amps more under load as well as at idle. I guess larger inductors and capacitors could lead to losses through magnetising and leakage current.
- Webster - :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby video » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:24 am

webster wrote:If you stick to the well known names then you can be quite sure of what you are getting.

Pulling apart the PSU and working out exactly what goes on inside would be great if you were considering buying in quantity, but not viable if for a home user.

SMPS design is complicated and the only way one is going to determine the best PSU is by looking at hard facts from tests.

Assasin' did the 'larger' PSU draw 0.2 amps more under load as well as at idle. I guess larger inductors and capacitors could lead to losses through magnetising and leakage current.

Not always, thats where you can get into trouble, they will buy from the lowest supplier. So if thats the way you look at it, not good. There is no safe way of going about buying, you should always know just what you have, not just the name. But everyone buys differently.
video
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby kltsin » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:30 am

Anyone here know how to convert power from +5v to +3.3v?

There was a post I was meaning to help with weeks ago on how to do this.
It seems older pci speced mobos ran 5v and newer ones run 3.3, is there any way to modify the card to use the +5v and convert it to +3.3 on the card itself, this would reduce any modifications to the mobo.
This obviously needs a electricians knowledge...
schematics and items needed would be an asset.. Thanks
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby kltsin » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:42 am

video wrote:
webster wrote:If you stick to the well known names then you can be quite sure of what you are getting.

Not always, thats where you can get into trouble, they will buy from the lowest supplier. So if thats the way you look at it, not good. There is no safe way of going about buying, you should always know just what you have, not just the name. But everyone buys differently.

When he said name brands I believe he meant the creator/designer more than a reseller(?) that slaps a name on a psu itself but didnt actually make it, such as Antecs psu's compared to a CompUSA power supply..
Antec made theirs, CompUsa simply through their name on it.

Not that Antec is the best but they are up there in quality, its a good name to follow and much easier to follow a good name than have every person in this forum taking apart their PSU and looking up Capacitor references and getting electrocuted by trying to do so.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Twisty » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:59 am

Exactly. Antec was foremost in my mind when I said that. I also deliberatly put 'quite sure' as it's possible for any manufacture to get it wrong.

I put a value on my time and buy good kit with some research rahter than something slightly better after many hours of research.
- Webster - :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby kltsin » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:06 am

webster wrote:Exactly. Antec was foremost in my mind when I said that. I also deliberatly put 'quite sure' as it's possible for any manufacture to get it wrong.

I put a value on my time and buy good kit with some research rahter than something slightly better after many hours of research.

I am just trying to get the last word in and have nothing to say 8O
We are both in agreement, thats scary.. Actually we were promoting the same thing the whole time, a quality PSU.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Ryn » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:18 am

just found this one and i think its a good psu calculator, it even calculates your oc'ed rigs :wink:

eXtreme PSU Calculator
Ryn
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

PSU??

Postby chchyong89 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:41 am

actually how many power (watt) need for a athlon 64 4200 dual core used?in full load and idle......and actually nvidia 7800GTX more power hungry or ATI more??? how many power consumption of a 6600GT???
DRIFT around...guys
chchyong89
Initiate
Initiate

Postby asassin' » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Sorry for the late response. Tested with caps discharged to power applied to psu then thru boot, no stress test. Test machine picked as not to stess the lesser psu's capacity.
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PreviousNext

Return to General