Dunked motherboard in oil

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Dunked motherboard in oil

Postby Twisty » Sat May 01, 2004 6:06 pm

I'm trying to work out how to get round the condensation/ice buildup problem when going sub zero and thought submerging the whole lot in an inert/non-polar liquid could be a solution.

I decided to experiment with an old system. A PCchips M535 mobo, intel 150Mhz CPU. I removed the fans from it a few years ago to make it silent and put a P3 heatsink on the CPU.

I placed the mobo in a plastic tray, connected everything up and checked the computer booted up fine, then I poured some 20W-50 motor oil on top of it and after a few seconds the puter crashed :(

After a bit of prodding I removed one of the DIMMs and the thing was running again , I guess the connection was not very positive and the oil was breaking the circuit, the other DIMM seems to hold up fine.

Then I did some overclocking, it ran stable on stock (2.8v) voltage at 75x2.5(189Mhz) and 66x3(200Mhz). I tested both by running the prime95 torture test for a couple of hours.

So there you have it, you can dunk a motherboard in oil. I need to find something with a lower pour point before I do some hardcore cooling though, light weight motor oil is expensive and I am wondering if vegetable or corn oil would be up to the task?
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat May 01, 2004 6:33 pm

I've seen this done before here:
http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller ... rsion.html

The sunstance they used on the board was cooled by liquid nitrogen.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Sat May 01, 2004 6:51 pm

Yes there was a thread a couple of days ago.

http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... sc&start=0

Fluorinert is horrifically expensive. Hence why I want to experiment with other things.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby subdriver20 » Sat May 01, 2004 7:24 pm

The Implant industry uses a silicon based oil in their HV tanks and they have exposed termnals and circuit cards submerged in them. Some the tanks are rated to 90KEV.
subdriver20
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby steel609 » Sun May 02, 2004 4:26 am

So there you have it, you can dunk a motherboard in oil.

You've gotta be kidding me! 8O 8O 8O

I don't think I would have the balls to try that.

Incredible!
AMD64 3500~Asus A8N5X Deluxe~3GB PC3200~EVGA 7900GT~36.7gb WD Raptor in Raid 0~
120gb & 180gb EIDE HDD~Asus 52X CDRom~NEC 2500A DVD-RW~Silver Chieftec Case - 480w PSU
steel609
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Sun May 02, 2004 5:05 am

should have used mineral oil, lol. Also, how'd u change the sped settings?
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Twisty » Mon May 03, 2004 3:52 am

Its interesting to hear that subdriver. The dielectric strength of the oil did concern me becasue of the capacitance it could create between components.

steel609 wrote:You've gotta be kidding me! 8O 8O 8O

I don't think I would have the balls to try that.

Incredible!

It's an old PC that isnt worth anything and I didn't see how oil would damage anything. I couldn't be bothered to spend ages cleaning all the oil off so I stuck it in the dishwasher along with all the other oily bits. I will see if it still works later :)

The bit that is going to need balls is buying a new system, dunking that in oil and cooling it to sub-zero temps 8O

should have used mineral oil, lol. Also, how'd u change the sped settings?

Thats a really good point, motorcycle shock oil could do the trick. I guess I will have to read up the chemical properties of different types of oil.

Changing the speed of the processer was easy becasue Intel didnt lock their chips back then. You just move the jumpers to set the bus speed and multiplier you want.

I left the puter stress texting at 200Mhz for several more hours and it eventually started producing errors becasue all the oil had heated up over time to toasty warm temps:!:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby trexntx » Mon May 03, 2004 5:24 am

Throw in a DVD and some popcorn and it sounds like you are all set. :lol:
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Black Wolf » Mon May 03, 2004 5:26 am

trexntx wrote:Throw in a DVD and some popcorn and it sounds like you are all set. :lol:

HAHAHA, just don't put any salt on that popdcorn, wouldn't want it to get into the system :lol:
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby dougsherwood1320 » Mon May 03, 2004 2:00 pm

Many years ago I had a customer come to me with a rather interesting problem. Seems his PC was on his boat when the boat sank! They retrieved the boat and he brought the pc to me to see if I could save it 8O
This happened in ocean (salt) water mind you.
Well, everything that was aluminum was turned to clumps of white oxidation (hard drive, floppy, cd-rom, etc.) but, he was paying me to save the mobo (PC's were expensive then).
I first put it in a dishwasher to get the seaweed and sand off, then I used baking soda to neutralize any acid deposits. I cleaned the board again with 99% alcohol.
I fired it up and it ran perfect. He asked me to put something on the board to insulate it against water, I did a lot of research and found a parafin based inert oil that waterproofs and protects against corrosion.
It is called INOX, developed in Australia. Check their website or go to a hardware store to find it. I have been using it for various projects for years without any problems. It is non-conductive, does not collect moisture (some oils do) resists rust, is non-toxic, and can even be used on vinyl auto upholstery as a protectant. I use it on electronic assemblies, fishing reels, tools, and anything else I can think of. You may want to try it for your experiment.
By the way, the guy used the PC for 2 years on his "new" boat before he upgraded to a better PC, his kids used it after that.
SOME THINGS MUST BE BELIEVED TO BE SEEN

MEMBER- MOTHERBOARDS.ORG FOLDING TEAM
>>>>>>>>>1,000,000 POINTS<<<<<<<<<
dougsherwood1320
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks