Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby AmEv » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:29 pm

rascard2007 wrote:Well, tryiong to troubleshoot a friends computer I was testing the PSU voltages with a multimeter, but I didn´t disconect the HDD molex plug. I made an instant short circuit and some chip in the controller card of the HDD burn down with an small orange flame like a birthday candle.

Fortunatelly I had an HDD of the exact model plenty of bad sectors and replaced the burned controller card with the other one. It works perfectly and the HDD is still working.

BTW I never told my friend what happen!!!

That's why I carry a few spare drive boards. I had 3 HDDs die on me, a Quantum Fireball (6.4g), Samsung ( not sure exact model, 7g), and WD (10g, my biggest lost.) These 25g may not seem like much, but they are when you are 13. :(
Well, actually, I plucked the boards from those, because they had "Constant Clicking Syndrome." Good thing to know that the boards still work :D
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby AmEv » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:09 am

Well, I just did this one.

I have Ubuntu 9.04 installed on my computer. I had just finished downloading 9.10 to update.
Well, my parents had just called me down to bed. So I went.
Well, I forgot to tell them about it.

I tried to boot it up this morning, when it refused to boot up. Even the recovery boot-up didn't work! :oops:

Well, thankfully, I didn't install much on that computer. And now I have a perfectly good reason to get a 9.10 disc!
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby BladerRunner2099 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:36 am

I avoided most of those mistakes, only screw up i did was i put a new graphic card into my PC and it would not work, i thought it was not compatible or something. Needless to say 2 hours later after i checked half the damn stuff in the PC i realized i forgot to hook up the power line to the Graphic card lol worked fine after it was a miracle.

(damn gremlins playing in my pc all the time)...
BladerRunner2099
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Prettz321 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Once I was putting in a CPU and bent all or most of the pins. Forgot how, it was some time ago. Bummer.
Prettz321
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:40 am

Just pulled an embarrasing stunt this past weekend (hence my absence for the last week). Do NOT put DDR3 1600 XMP RAM in a boar that only supports one stick of that per channel. I filled all six and wiped out an i7 960 in a big hurry.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 am

as in overvolting the CPU and giving it a full load will kill it quickly? Nice one fuss...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:36 pm

evasive wrote:as in overvolting the CPU and giving it a full load will kill it quickly? Nice one fuss...

1.71v to be exact. I get one freebie mistake of that caliber, simce my mom broke the passenger side mirror off my new car two days after I bought it.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Tech Support