Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid!

Postby CarNut » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:16 am

This applies to those mistakes we're all(?) capable of and that can take ages to discover. It might even generate a few laughs too.

So, I'll get the ball rolling with my own embarassing mistake:

I'd spent weeks trying to figure out hardware compatibility problems with my new motherboard installation. Weird faults that no-one could explain. The usual response from suppliers was to blame Microsoft software or BIOS settings, etc. In fact, I even sent one motherboard/graphics board back to the shop as a total waste of time. (Oops!)

A new motherboard from another supplier duly arrived and that too gave a weird (but different) fault. Instead of graphics board hassles, the mouse wasn't detected. But lifting the board out and having it standing free, well then all was fine. After various prodding, poking, dis/reassembly and much bad language, I eventually found the fault.

You know there are spacers (metal) that hold the motherboard above the bottom of the case...well I had 1 too many. That's all, that was it! The old motherboard had one more mounting hole that the new one(s) didn't need anymore. Without realising it, as soon as the board was screwed in - I'd created a short-circuit. This caused the weird behaviour. Luckily nothing permanent I hope. So let this be a lesson to you all out there...check, check and check again. Don't assume that you've got a complex problem. It could be the simplest fault of all.

And no, I'm not a newbie but I feel like one today. Cheerio and watch this space...er, I mean spacers.
CarNut
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby trexntx » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:13 am

Sounds like you are going through your "second newbyhood". :)
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby tedybear » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:02 am

I think the one I've seen the most here has been people forgetting to hook up the 4 pin p/s lead on the motherboard for the Intel stuff. It's like a magic pill. Hook up that 4 pin lead, and 'magic' everything works.

Steve-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:34 am

I did something similar to this when installing my Max3. The OTES makes it impossible to add in screws to the upper portion near the back of the case. With a spacer in that spot I found it near impossible to get the Max3 to line up in my case. Spent about an hour on it. Finally took a step back and thought about the spacer and the OTES shroud. I took out that spacer and everything's been okay since :D
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Robyn » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:41 am

Sabrewings wrote:I did something similar to this when installing my Max3. The OTES makes it impossible to add in screws to the upper portion near the back of the case. With a spacer in that spot I found it near impossible to get the Max3 to line up in my case. Spent about an hour on it. Finally took a step back and thought about the spacer and the OTES shroud. I took out that spacer and everything's been okay since :D

I did the same thing the other day. Didn't know what to do with the two that had screws in em already. Decided it just fit a little better with the spacers out. I'm hoping everything will be fine. I'm such a chicken. Plus it doesnt help that my bf is convinced my comp won't work.

Another max3 question for you: the little black and yellow wire from my PS... looks like a fan monitor for the power supply's fans, do i hook that into the mobo under the aux fan?

Robyn
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:47 am

Yes, that's for monitoring the RPM's of your PSU fan. I plugged mine into the fan header just above the battery by the RAM slots on the front of the mobo. Works great :D . Remember that the BIOS will only monitor the CPU, OTES, and NB fans. But, any program you run in Windows will be able to see any other fans you have connected to it.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~Rob » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:50 am

Stupid Mistakes... Where to start??

1) (yes they are numbered!!) Put SDRAM in the wrong way, needless to say a nice puff of smoke and it never worked

2) How does using a 2000XP running Splinter Cell Demo's sound without the fan plugged in. Got it up to 116C and it worked fine!!!

3) Dropping a monitor and splitting the plastic cover

4) USB cables for the case ports with the + and - data cables the wrong way

5) Scratchin a motherboard while putting on the HS/F

6) Turning on a PC without any HS/F installed.

Luckily I've been alright in most cases!! No doubt I have more to follow!
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Copper » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:55 am

Rob_Pope wrote:Stupid Mistakes... Where to start??

1) (yes they are numbered!!) Put SDRAM in the wrong way, needless to say a nice puff of smoke and it never worked

2) How does using a 2000XP running Splinter Cell Demo's sound without the fan plugged in. Got it up to 116C and it worked fine!!!

3) Dropping a monitor and splitting the plastic cover

4) USB cables for the case ports with the + and - data cables the wrong way

5) Scratchin a motherboard while putting on the HS/F

6) Turning on a PC without any HS/F installed.

Luckily I've been alright in most cases!! No doubt I have more to follow!

yes done 2,3,4,5 and 6 :oops: :oops:
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:58 am

Woo, I aint the only one!!!

P.S, if you have some spare, the spark and smoke from SDRAM is amazing!!!! Just so you can say you've done it all!!
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Grime » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:23 am

Well, since there are too many to count I will just mention the latest and greatest...

I decided to get me a snazy aftermarket Zalman heatsink and fan for my Radeon 9700 Pro. Took the stock fan off, and noticed the shim. I decided "Hmmm... maybe I should take that off so it sits better on the GPU." DOH! For some reason I figured the best tool for the job would be an exacto knife. Next thing I knew, the shim was off, but so were some of the GPU leads. It still worked, but it wasn't pretty. Anyways, it turned out to be a good excuse to buy a new Radeon 9800XT :)
Windows XP Professional w/SP2
Abit IC7-MAX3
P4 2.6Ghz 800Mhz FSB w/HT
1gb Mushkin Level II PC4000
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
SB Audigy Gamer
2x WD Raptor 10k rpm SATA w/ RAID-0
Sony DRU530A DVD-RW+RW
Zalman CNPS 7000-cu CPU Cooler
Grime
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap