The Mother Board
Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarNut
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid! Reply with quote

This applies to those mistakes we're all(?) capable of and that can take ages to discover. It might even generate a few laughs too.

So, I'll get the ball rolling with my own embarassing mistake:

I'd spent weeks trying to figure out hardware compatibility problems with my new motherboard installation. Weird faults that no-one could explain. The usual response from suppliers was to blame Microsoft software or BIOS settings, etc. In fact, I even sent one motherboard/graphics board back to the shop as a total waste of time. (Oops!)

A new motherboard from another supplier duly arrived and that too gave a weird (but different) fault. Instead of graphics board hassles, the mouse wasn't detected. But lifting the board out and having it standing free, well then all was fine. After various prodding, poking, dis/reassembly and much bad language, I eventually found the fault.

You know there are spacers (metal) that hold the motherboard above the bottom of the case...well I had 1 too many. That's all, that was it! The old motherboard had one more mounting hole that the new one(s) didn't need anymore. Without realising it, as soon as the board was screwed in - I'd created a short-circuit. This caused the weird behaviour. Luckily nothing permanent I hope. So let this be a lesson to you all out there...check, check and check again. Don't assume that you've got a complex problem. It could be the simplest fault of all.

And no, I'm not a newbie but I feel like one today. Cheerio and watch this space...er, I mean spacers.
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are going through your "second newbyhood". lachen
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the one I've seen the most here has been people forgetting to hook up the 4 pin p/s lead on the motherboard for the Intel stuff. It's like a magic pill. Hook up that 4 pin lead, and 'magic' everything works.

Steve-
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something similar to this when installing my Max3. The OTES makes it impossible to add in screws to the upper portion near the back of the case. With a spacer in that spot I found it near impossible to get the Max3 to line up in my case. Spent about an hour on it. Finally took a step back and thought about the spacer and the OTES shroud. I took out that spacer and everything's been okay since big grin

RIAA vs The People
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabrewings wrote:
I did something similar to this when installing my Max3. The OTES makes it impossible to add in screws to the upper portion near the back of the case. With a spacer in that spot I found it near impossible to get the Max3 to line up in my case. Spent about an hour on it. Finally took a step back and thought about the spacer and the OTES shroud. I took out that spacer and everything's been okay since big grin

I did the same thing the other day. Didn't know what to do with the two that had screws in em already. Decided it just fit a little better with the spacers out. I'm hoping everything will be fine. I'm such a chicken. Plus it doesnt help that my bf is convinced my comp won't work.

Another max3 question for you: the little black and yellow wire from my PS... looks like a fan monitor for the power supply's fans, do i hook that into the mobo under the aux fan?

Robyn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's for monitoring the RPM's of your PSU fan. I plugged mine into the fan header just above the battery by the RAM slots on the front of the mobo. Works great big grin . Remember that the BIOS will only monitor the CPU, OTES, and NB fans. But, any program you run in Windows will be able to see any other fans you have connected to it.

RIAA vs The People
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid Mistakes... Where to start??

1) (yes they are numbered!!) Put SDRAM in the wrong way, needless to say a nice puff of smoke and it never worked

2) How does using a 2000XP running Splinter Cell Demo's sound without the fan plugged in. Got it up to 116C and it worked fine!!!

3) Dropping a monitor and splitting the plastic cover

4) USB cables for the case ports with the + and - data cables the wrong way

5) Scratchin a motherboard while putting on the HS/F

6) Turning on a PC without any HS/F installed.

Luckily I've been alright in most cases!! No doubt I have more to follow!

Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob_Pope wrote:
Stupid Mistakes... Where to start??

1) (yes they are numbered!!) Put SDRAM in the wrong way, needless to say a nice puff of smoke and it never worked

2) How does using a 2000XP running Splinter Cell Demo's sound without the fan plugged in. Got it up to 116C and it worked fine!!!

3) Dropping a monitor and splitting the plastic cover

4) USB cables for the case ports with the + and - data cables the wrong way

5) Scratchin a motherboard while putting on the HS/F

6) Turning on a PC without any HS/F installed.

Luckily I've been alright in most cases!! No doubt I have more to follow!

yes done 2,3,4,5 and 6 oops oops
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo, I aint the only one!!!

P.S, if you have some spare, the spark and smoke from SDRAM is amazing!!!! Just so you can say you've done it all!!

Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
Grime
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since there are too many to count I will just mention the latest and greatest...

I decided to get me a snazy aftermarket Zalman heatsink and fan for my Radeon 9700 Pro. Took the stock fan off, and noticed the shim. I decided "Hmmm... maybe I should take that off so it sits better on the GPU." DOH! For some reason I figured the best tool for the job would be an exacto knife. Next thing I knew, the shim was off, but so were some of the GPU leads. It still worked, but it wasn't pretty. Anyways, it turned out to be a good excuse to buy a new Radeon 9800XT lachen
1gb Mushkin Level II PC4000
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
SB Audigy Gamer
2x WD Raptor 10k rpm SATA w/ RAID-0
Sony DRU530A DVD-RW+RW
Zalman CNPS 7000-cu CPU Cooler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: