poundu1
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: I see Reply with quote

I should have read this first... L&L
samsake
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Be sure to use Thermal Compound Reply with quote

Be sure to put Thermal Compound on the Intel P4 and other chips that call for it. I use Artic Silver 5, go to their web site to see how to apply it. Nice information guys. I didn't give much thought about clearing the CMOS after writing the BIOS. A bunch of stuff gets wiped out that we don't understand??? crying
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most BIOSes have a setting which is load optimized defaults, for most of the users out there is all you need. The other specific stuff usually is pretty self-explanatory, or you can post here for clarification if the manual (you did read it?) isn't clear.
The reason you clear the CMOS after a flash is so the flash will work properly. The reason you clear after a problem is to eliminate the chance of a bad setting.
RBtinytaz
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Cannot post!! Reply with quote

Well everybody I figured out what my problem was...Now first lets remember this is generally a FIRST time at building one all by yourself..OK here it is....My front bus speed on board and cpu was different!!!!! It took me three days to figure that one out..Thanks all who replied to my questions...Rita B
samsake
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBtinytaz-thats not a small issue nice going. How did you arrive at that and how did you correct it??? Thanks for sharing.
MartyUK39
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Also Reply with quote

If you get a nice green light on your motherboard when it's plugged in and switched on at the rear, but nothing happens when you press the power switch, do NOT spend 4 hours unplugging everything, taking out the motherboard, doing minimal boots, tearing out (in my case) what little remains of your hair etc. Instead, just look very closely at the diagram in the manual and then change the orientation of the power switch lead to the correct position!
mr newbie
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something obvious, but definitely worth repeating. Check & recheck all the cables for proper connection before deciding a drive is bad, especially when using round cables on mobos with the IDE/FDD channels practically stacked on top of one another. The cable head on the "lower" channel may sometimes cause resistance when attaching the one above it, giving the false impression that the top cable is locked in when in fact it is not connecting at all. Also make sure the channels have no bent pins, which can happen if you try forcing the cable on and it is not properly lined up. This will save some headaches and lost time due to needless RMAs. lachen
goddammf
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Also Reply with quote

MartyUK39 wrote:
If you get a nice green light on your motherboard when it's plugged in and switched on at the rear, but nothing happens when you press the power switch, do NOT spend 4 hours unplugging everything, taking out the motherboard, doing minimal boots, tearing out (in my case) what little remains of your hair etc. Instead, just look very closely at the diagram in the manual and then change the orientation of the power switch lead to the correct position!

this is the exact problem im having but i cant see how i can change the power switch lead, im nto even sure i knwo waht that is please help
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jops
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Also Reply with quote

MartyUK39 wrote:

My problem is very similar to this. I just built the machine last night. I feel confident that I connected everything, but haven't had time to triple check yet, because of that nuisance called "WORK". Anyways, when I start it up, it has a green light on the motherboard, all fans are going, it sounds like it wants to startup, makes some noise for 3-5 secs, than turns itself off. What is the power switch lead and where can I find it Or is this maybe a different problem? I left all the jumpers as is out of the box.

CPU P4/2.8CGHz 800M 478P/512K HT RT
MB ASUS P4P800SE 865PE/ICH5
DDRAM 1GB KIT|DDR400 PC3200 -k RT
HD 160GB|HITC SATA 8MB
VGAATI|A-I-W RADEON 9800PRO 128M
DVD+/-RW NEC ND-2510A SVR w SW
CASE ANTEC|MID TOWER SONATA RET
S33K3R
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt this sticky was made to post problems but instead as a guide. if you still have trouble after following this guide then you need to post a new topic.

perhaps a mod will delete this uneeded posts, like mine. or maybe even lock it so it stays as a guide nothing more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: