The Mother Board
how many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> The Water Cooler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jronald
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets use a Plasma Ball!

Ron
sloopdog 1
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If contact is made with Kepler 22b, then we can ask how their forum members change a light bulb. big grin
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still have not changed that light bulb, or decided how many people are needed to do so?
As one of the "Three Stooges" skits detailed, it would take two to hold the ladder and turn it, while a third member holds the light bulb while on the ladder!! lol lol

But aside from specialty tools that allow us to stand on solid ground and reach up to 20 ft. high, plus other "gadgets", if we wait too much longer we will have fewer choices as to what kind of lamp bulb to put in that socket!!
The EISA (Energy Independence and Security Act) ruling, passed by the U.S. Congress in 2007, decrees that the 'common' filament light bulb be phased out before 2020, in most forms.. save for specific applications.
In short, for 2012 the 100-watt equivalent filament bulb standard will be 72 watts. In 2013, the 75-watt equivalent filament bulb standard will be 53 watts. In 2014, the 60-watt equivalent filament bulb standard will be 43 watts. And the 40-watt equivalent will be 29 watts.
So fades our lighting standard. More lamps will be needed to provide the same illumination, and cost more to operate! Or maybe we will evolve to have better vision in darkness?
True, filament bulbs are very wasteful of energy.. producing only about 12% efficiency at best. Typically, it may cost about $6.60 USD to operate a 60-watt filament bulb for 1,000 hours.. its expected life-span. For a CFL type lamp, the cost could drop below $1.65 USD per 1,000 hours.. while giving maybe 10,000 hours of expected life! And even more impressive, the newer LED lamps have an expected life of 25,000 hours of life, and may cost less than $1.00 USD per 1,000 hours of use! The CFL and LED are far more efficient than a filament bulb.

But.. if we still used candles and fuel lamps, we would not have to worry about light bulbs!

Reference 1:
Reference 2:
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS a lurker, 0 to change "a" bulb. Over 80 years old and still burning; may outlast us all.
ATrebeau
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been so long since anyone has attempted to change the bulb in this thread that it is pitch black in here! Took me a half hour feeling around the walls and bumping into tables and chairs just to find the REPLY button. Hope there are not any typos, as I am typing by touch. Should be okay as long as I don't attempt any numbers or symbols.

i7-980X | GA-X58-USB3 (rev. 1.0) | Corsair D GT DDR3-2000 6GB | MSI GTX 480 | True Black | PCP&C 1200W | CM Storm Sniper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> The Water Cooler All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178
Page 178 of 178

Jump to: