how many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Toby B. » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:54 pm

MrG wrote:Why not just lock it or delete it?

Deletion was pondered, but wasn't really an option. The thread did get locked and put away for a little bit but eventually made its way back to the masses..
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Ya wasn't there an uproar when it was locked or something? That plan failed
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Toby B. » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:11 pm

hunter1801 wrote:Ya wasn't there an uproar when it was locked or something? That plan failed
Yup
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby MrG » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:48 am

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/green/its-lig ... -law/18049
If the US government don't know what they're doing, got help the rest of us!
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:29 am

In Europe they simply banned the selling of lightbulbs of the higher wattages first, then slowly going down to the smaller ones, we now can buy high-efficiency classic lightbulbs (expensive) and energy saving lightbulbs (more expensive) and LED-lighting (even more expensive). Yes, it makes you think about how many points of light you want in your house for sure. But if this is the real answer to our ever increasing power-hunger, I don't know...

As for the US government, I would be surprised if they show for once they actually DO know what they are doing. Then I would start to worry...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:23 am

The need for incandescent (filament) type light bulbs in certain uses will always be.. especially in ovens (very hot!!) and in freezers (very cold!) that LED or fluorescent lamps cannot tolerate.
The newer LED household lamps are indeed energy savers, and have a very long life.. thus repaying the cost of purchase many times over, during their life-span.
There is no practicable means to improve the efficiency of a filament lamp.. it emits 70% or more in wasted heat energy than what is given as useful light. Halogen-based lamps are more efficient yet still do not have much more than the life expectancy of "older" filament lamps.. or less of the high level of waste heat.
You might say the light bulb will "burn" for centuries to come! PDT_Armataz_01_03
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ataboy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:15 am

"The newer LED household lamps are indeed energy savers, and have a very long life.. thus repaying the cost of purchase many times over, during their life-span. "

'PDT_Armataz_01_03' False.

In theory true, but in practical false for most of the cases. Because companies are willing to do more profit, they do not allow the full use of LED, or other "price saving" devices. Not any more.

To be sure you'll not be able to use your LED for their lifetime, they bundle LEDs with other devices, like batteries, or automatic switches, or whatever will be seen as a good idea by the consumer. Then the batteries go off after their normal lifetime, or the switch dies strangely very quickly, etc.

Because the LED and the failing device are a single piece, you have to change the expensive LED / "price saving" device.

Do you really think you'll use blinker LEDs on a car until the LEDs fail? Or LEDs on a flashlight... it's likely the motor and the fixed battery will be out before the LED, a long time before.

Marketing is made to have users think they will do a good deal, and will start saying to others that this is indeed a good deal. The truth comes when the users stop watching ads and actually use the device, i.e.... too late.

Show me a LED device with all parts repairable and available on the market when they fail, and I'll start saying that expensive LEDs repay the their cost.
ataboy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby markirob1 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:11 pm

depends on how many you can call upon who havn't got there own pc problem!

Hey my LED's went out .. my bag.
markirob1
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:12 am

Considering an average price of about $1.00 for a 60-watt incandescent lamp with 1,000 average hours of life, to a newer LED lamp with equivalent output of light.. but drawing less than 10 watts. The average 'expected' life of an LED lamp is around 30,000 hours. The cost of such a lamp? Maybe less than $20.00 USD. The savings in electric power? Upwards to $10,000.00 over its older brethren!!
And if one had been available many years ago, we would not fret about having to change a dead lamp now. Example: Phillips 60-watt LED lamp
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmEv » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:21 am

And we wouldn't have such an awesome thread :rolleyes:
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler