Hide the FAH Icon In Win 98

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Hide the FAH Icon In Win 98

Postby miki02131 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:31 pm

Is it possible to prevent the FAH Icon from showing up on the system tray and yet keep the program running in the background? I mean, is it possible to have a very silent and secretive startup loading of the program? The reason for this is that I might be able to install secretly the software on a few university computers and have them folding 24/7. If I can hide from systray, I might be able to hide the operation from the system administrators who check the terminal every so often.

NB. OS is Win98
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Aussie » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:20 pm

It is not adviseable and in fact it is illegal to install folding@home on a computer that you do not own or have permission to install the software onto.

There has already been one famous court case involving this practice and the accused ended up doing serious jail time.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby miki02131 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:22 pm

Thanks for the head up. But yet again if it is so illegal, there must be some security issue involved in the FAH software. When I read the FAQ, they say there wasn't any security issue and spyware involved.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:00 pm

Although it is illegal. I believe they called it computer identity theft or some crap like that... don't bother with it.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team