team members receiving low point value for completed wu's?

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby steve6787 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:19 pm

does it state anything at wu start up about 3dnow!?

I have not noticed anything about 3dnow on WU startup, although I know my processor has 3dnow.

So, you think I should keep using the G @ H, but use it with the
-advmethods flag?
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
Dual Boot Win7x64/Bodhi
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3450
60GB Vertex 2 SSD (For OS's)/750GB for Data
steve6787
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:16 pm

steve6787 wrote:
does it state anything at wu start up about 3dnow!?

I have not noticed anything about 3dnow on WU startup, although I know my processor has 3dnow.

So, you think I should keep using the G @ H, but use it with the
-advmethods flag?

i think that the -advmethods flag might supercede your specification for GAH wu's- but i'm not certain of this.

just run it the way you want- it's an older comp, so if you find points value works out the way you want it, or just feel better completing the wu's faster it's your call. i know that it can be more satisfying to complete wu's faster. i also would want the highest value possible in a given time frame.

try and specify GAH, and also specify -advmethods flag, and see what happens. that's what i would do, and then the behavior is known. just share what you find if you decide to do this!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby steve6787 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:38 am

Len444,

I have swapped out the K6-2 400mhz chip and board with a P3 550 and intel board (which I got for free). I switched back to the F @ H WUs and downloaded a new one last night(around 9PM). As of this morning(around 6:15AM) it was at 145/500. Its amazing how much faster this pc is at getting them done! On my old pc, I was only getting 20-30 blocks a day. I was able to get 145 blocks in one night with this one! With this system I should be able to help out a little more!

Im using the -advmethods and -forceasm flags? Is there anymore I should use with this setup? I posted my -.44 and +.55 on the total ghz page.

New System Specs:

P3 550Mhz and board(not sure what model --- its off a Dell Optiplex GX1)
160MB RAM PC-100
32MB Savage4 PCI (Off old System)
40GB HD (Off old System)
Sony 48x24x48x CDRW (Off old system)
(Using the Optiplex Case and Power Supply....since its nearly impossible to put one of Dells system boards and Power Supplies into another Case!)
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
Dual Boot Win7x64/Bodhi
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3450
60GB Vertex 2 SSD (For OS's)/750GB for Data
steve6787
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:55 am

steve6787 wrote:Len444,

I have swapped out the K6-2 400mhz chip and board with a P3 550 and intel board (which I got for free). I switched back to the F @ H WUs and downloaded a new one last night(around 9PM). As of this morning(around 6:15AM) it was at 145/500. Its amazing how much faster this pc is at getting them done! On my old pc, I was only getting 20-30 blocks a day. I was able to get 145 blocks in one night with this one! With this system I should be able to help out a little more!

Im using the -advmethods and -forceasm flags? Is there anymore I should use with this setup? I posted my -.44 and +.55 on the total ghz page.

New System Specs:

P3 550Mhz and board(not sure what model --- its off a Dell Optiplex GX1)
160MB RAM PC-100
32MB Savage4 PCI (Off old System)
40GB HD (Off old System)
Sony 48x24x48x CDRW (Off old system)
(Using the Optiplex Case and Power Supply....since its nearly impossible to put one of Dells system boards and Power Supplies into another Case!)

steve6787, does the fahlog.txt file state "extra sse boost ok" at the start/ restart of folding? this is stated at the point where folding starts.
it's probably best to add (in addition to the others) the -verbosity 9 flag for max output to the fahlog.txt file. this can be quite helpful for trouble shooting. good to see you've realized a major speed up in foldig performance!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:39 am

SSE has a huge effect - not just on grommacks, but also on tinkers (3.25 ONLY!) even though they say it won't, i did a 70 point WU in about 3 days, 6-8 a day.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby len444 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:51 am

well, danny_the_bum has a very low points value for the 60 wu's he's completed. it appears that he's not completing wu's 100%, and sending them back as partially completed ones. he might also have a corrupted fah client ( graphical, console- whatever it is) from OC'g. i've pm'd him a couple of times about this hoping to help him (and the team) get those wu's completed succesfully for max points value. he's dropped the OC a little, but the OC is extremely high for an air cooled config. an amd athlon xp barton 2500+ stock at 1.83ghz- he's got it up to 2.6ghz, and has backed it down to 2.4ghz. i believe that 2.2ghz, which is the eqivalent to an 3200+ would be a great OC, and might be the stability point. one thing that might help w/ the extreme OC is to not specify any flags except for verbosity 9. he might benefit by running Tinker wu's, as they can tolerate higher overclocking.

my basic advice is to not OC, and then uninstall the FAH client, and download a new one, and install it. i feel that OC'g has corrupted the cores/ client, and a fresh install will help matters.

anyway, he's slightly adamant about this, and feels that he's knowledgable about running folding. but his score should be about 10 times what it is- this is really frustrating. perhaps more team members need to PM him regarding this?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:07 pm

Well, he sits at 2.3-2.4. AS to the not completing, that's due to the client, or the units. He says that he keeps having the client download and send files, but i think it's due to the fact that he doesn't pause when he goes off. I'll go give him a shot in the head on msn.

Damn monitor... gone purple again.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby netstoy » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:46 pm

but i think it's due to the fact that he doesn't pause when he goes off.

I have read this in several post here. I have never paused to cut off the F@H program and to date have never lost any data or points because of it. Why does it affect some while not bothering others? All i did was download the program and run it from there, nothing special has been done.
netstoy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tulatin » Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:07 pm

Some of the newer Grommacks units (given with -advmethods i believe) are slightly unstable, and will just send back home if they're rudely interrupted (such as the client closing without pause)
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team