team members receiving low point value for completed wu's?

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

team members receiving low point value for completed wu's?

Postby len444 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:18 am

ok, wondering why some have low scores for completed wu's? there are reject wu's that will receive a "prorated" point value based on percentage completion. motherboards folding team is an FAH (folding at home) team, so doing GAH (genome at home) wu's will be reduced in points value (about 1/6th). all GAH wu's show as #799. are some of our members somehow registered as GAH members, and folding for our team? one member has completed about 50 wu's, and only has ~250 points for doing this? these are FAH wu's, not GAH wu's, so the total points value should be over 1000. then there are some that have little to no credit- and this doesn't seem to make sense. i'll post a question regarding this at the FAH forums.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby miki02131 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:35 am

Now the question how do we check and make sure we register and obtain FAH WUs as opposed to obtain GAH WUs?

I've been noticing something fishy about the Software. Last week I received two units with 2500 frames and my system completed and about 1 and half day or so. However, my last WU has only 100 frames and is taking more than 5 days to finish. Note that I haven't touched the system configuration at all. What would be behind such behavior?
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby DefaultDave » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:09 pm

yeah some DO take longer, that's for sure. i've noticed this as well... i'm running the gui client on an amd box (1700+) and it usually smokes a WU in 10 or so hours, but lately it's taking like 15-24.

and the 2500 are 100's in disguas... not sure why they do that though. just make them 100's then if they realy are...why mask them??

oh and you specify FAH or GAH in the configs... the CLI you type 'fah' for folding and 'gah' for genome. in the gui its a drop down menu.
DefaultDave
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby miki02131 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:22 pm

I remember I was told by Len44 to keep the default settings. But in the Client type drop down menu, we have 3 options: No preference(default), Folding@Home, and Genome@Home. I followed Len recommendation and kept it on the No Preference Option. Now am I supposed to change it to the Folding@Home Option?
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby DefaultDave » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:45 pm

yip. thats right
DefaultDave
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tulatin » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:59 pm

one member has completed about 50 wu's, and only has ~250 points for doing this?

That's danny the bum. His work units keep resetting (actually he forgets to pause and kill)

Now, for partially completed work units - i.e ones that re-set and send to server, you do get some credit, as is for finding an error. That's why some people have sky high numbers with rock bottom point counts.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby len444 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:03 pm

miki02131 wrote:Now the question how do we check and make sure we register and obtain FAH WUs as opposed to obtain GAH WUs?

I've been noticing something fishy about the Software. Last week I received two units with 2500 frames and my system completed and about 1 and half day or so. However, my last WU has only 100 frames and is taking more than 5 days to finish. Note that I haven't touched the system configuration at all. What would be behind such behavior?

the way to get FAH wu's, and not GAH wu's is to specify FAH preference under advanced config. i'm more familiar w/ the console client- so specifying -config flag will bring up the config in the console. i believe that the graphical version config is performed by right clicking the sys tray icon, and selecting congfig. where advanced config is, i'm not certain, but if there is an advanced tab under config, then select it, and set cpu to 100%, fah preference, and low priority.

ok, the longer duration wu is more than likely a "tinker" wu. the tinker wu's don't use assembly optimizations, so the performance, and for what ever reason, the points value is somewhat not in line w/ the gromacs wu's. one way to tell, is to first off use the -verbosity 9 flag for max output. this will be printed out in the fahlog.txt file as the wu's are "crunched" another way to tell, is the fahcore_78.exe is for a gromacs wu, and a fahcore_65.exe is for a tinker wu. the GAH wu's use the fahcore_ca.exe core. a remedy for this in addition to specifying FAH wu pref., is to use the -advmethods flag. the -advmethods flag seems to concentrate on specific servers that give out only gromacs wu's. gromacs wu's do use assembly optimizations, so the -forceasm flag give an extra sse speed boost (~20%). the 3.24 client only applies -forceasm flag for 1st wu, and then reverts back w/ o it for the following ones. the 3.25beta clients keep the -forceasm flag active for all wu's being crunched (gromacs only). because of this, best performance is achieved w/ the 3.25beta clients, and is highly recommended.
Last edited by len444 on Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby len444 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:17 pm

miki02131 wrote:I remember I was told by Len44 to keep the default settings.

i'll have to say that choosing FAH wu pref is the best way at present. because we are an FAH team, we really don't want GAH wu's as they are reduced in points value (about 1/6th). only the really slow sub 500mhz machines are to benefit from a specification of GAH wu's. and get this, i've specified GAH wu's for a p166, and the GAH pref only stuck for the first wu worked on. i received a 71 point tinker (biggest wu), and i let it run a while. it took about 4hrs/ frame- i calulated a duration of 65 days to complete it!. i currently run d2ol w/ my p200, and p166. i have an athlon xp 1500+, and 1800+ crunching away for our team, and that seems to work much better. supposedly sse instruction sets were introduced w/ the athlon xp cpu's. i read that the k6-2's and athlons have 3dnow!, which the gromacs wu's use. also, an athlon xp will use 3dnow! if the -forceasm flag isn't specified. hey, if the sse optimizations are there, and this speeds things up- it's a no brainer to implement the -forceasm flag.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby steve6787 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:01 am

I have a K6-2 400MHz, I have switched to using G @ H. When I did the F @ H, it was taking 15-20 days to completed a WU. So, I switched to G @ H, which I can complete in 2 days. Now, I did receive 53 points for the F @ H WU, and Im only getting 6 points for the G @ H. But, the 53 pointer was for a 500 blocker. If I was to get a 2500 blocker, I would never finish as it would take about 75-100 days to complete!(This based on how long it took me to complete a 500 blocker). This machine pretty much runs 23/7. I turn it off for a about a hour a day to get on the net. So, I found it more appropriate for me to run the G @ H. Or am I wrong?
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
Dual Boot Win7x64/Bodhi
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3450
60GB Vertex 2 SSD (For OS's)/750GB for Data
steve6787
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:07 am

steve6787 wrote:I have a K6-2 400MHz, I have switched to using G @ H. When I did the F @ H, it was taking 15-20 days to completed a WU. So, I switched to G @ H, which I can complete in 2 days. Now, I did receive 53 points for the F @ H WU, and Im only getting 6 points for the G @ H. But, the 53 pointer was for a 500 blocker. If I was to get a 2500 blocker, I would never finish as it would take about 75-100 days to complete!(This based on how long it took me to complete a 500 blocker). This machine pretty much runs 23/7. I turn it off for a about a hour a day to get on the net. So, I found it more appropriate for me to run the G @ H. Or am I wrong?

it's what's recommended by Stanford U folding at home people. i ran a p166, and it took 5 days for a 65 position protein to be completed. then i received a 113 position protein, and that would have taken 2 weeks. i think that there are 140(ish) position proteins that would take quite some time to finish. what i don't like is the reduced points value for being on an FAH team. i think this was their attempt to get people to stay w/ one side or the other for the full points value.

i'd use the -advmethods flag (even though i say not to in the guides- for the sub 500mhz systems) to prevent getting tinkers. at least you have 3dnow that can be used. now there is 3dnow!, and 3dnow!+ and it might only be the 3dnow!+ that is used (but don't quote me on it), but i'm not sure. does it state anything at wu start up about 3dnow!?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team