What is folding?

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What is folding?

Postby E4T2L0 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:52 am

I dont know if this is the right place to ask but I was just wondering. Is there a way that the computer does ALL of the WORK? Is then how and where do I sign up?

Ok scratch that. How would A person, say, Like myself, Get involved with such a noble cause and what would be required of me?
MS`WINXP PRO SP1
MSI 865PE NEO2
P4C 2.4GHZ- OCD to 3.3 temps are MIN 36C MAX 60C
MAXTOR 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer
WD 250GB 7200RPM 8MB buffer
CORSAIR XMS 512DDR LLPT
nvidia GEForce4 MX440 128
SOUND VIA S- BRACKET
450W GENERIC PSU
E4T2L0
Initiate
Initiate

Postby len444 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:52 am

"folding" is the process that proteins fold in their creation. proteins are the subcomponents of dna. misfolding, misaggregation, ect... that are the causes of genetic defects are the quest that this project is in pursuit of. what we're basically doing is working on sections of a microsecond (something like that- very fast) process to find the actual folding moments. the pursuit is to find out why proteins misfold, and hopefully find cures.

all that's required, is your willingness to run the project on your computer, and getting started by checking out the team pages that a bunch of us have in our sigs. basically you'll need to download the desired client for your specific OS, and then configure it. add your "handle" that you use at this site, and add team#: 33258. there's more info in the team page. read that in it's entirety, and then you should have an idea of the process involved to get things started. feel free to ask any questions that come to mind regarding the folding project!

here's the home page for FAH at Stanford University, Ca (for further reading):
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby len444 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:33 pm

E4T2L0, one thing though. if you decide to fold w/ the comp in your sig, i would make an educated guess here that those temps are a bit too high, and will more than likely not work well w/ FAH running. get some extra case fans in there. what case are you using?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team