The Mother Board
connection?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboards.org Folding Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah. that's good to know. care to post the method evasive?

And toby, jsut run the 3.25 model, and have it fire up at boot, and just pause when you need the cpu cycles.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't got dial-up machine at hand at the moment, would have to check on corporate laptop, which is at the office now.

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internet options (in control panel)-> connections-> settings-> advanced check the disconnect if idle- not sure of the duration to set. might be a minute or two for a dedicated crunch box.

just note that i haven't tried this, and haven't used dial up in a while (like years).

edit:
i couldn't resist, so i rebooted into win2k, downloaded FAH 3.25beta console, pulled my DSL connection, and configured my back up modem (needed to be configured anyway). also same as above, as well as advanced, select properties-> options and set the redial options there as well. under connections, enter user name and password, and select ok
and under connections, select always dial my defaulte connection, and set as default, and select apply. also under settings add your user name, and password.

one thing the disconnect if inactive duration should be raised if it's a comp that you use besides crunching WU's, but the duration could be set to a 1 min., or 3min. (depending if advanced or properties confused ) for a dedicated crunch box.

when it pulls up the dialog box, select connect automatically, save password, and select ok.

when in the initial config in the console version, select yes to use IE settings- this made the difference for the above to work (as it's a config w/ IE)

the last step might be the configuration of firewall when FAH attempts to connect for the first time.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a note about the inactivity duration. i downloaded a WU, and even while it was downloading, a dialog box popped up saying that the connection was inactive, and was counting down to the 3 minute mark. i received a WU w/ in about 10 seconds of that 3 minute duration. based upon this, i would say up the duration to 5 minutes. my dial up connection was at 45kbps, so depending upon the speed, the duration might even need to be set higher than 5 minutes. so i'll run a WU, and see how the auto send, and completion of WU processes go.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or, if you'e paranoid, se it to 10. Thanks for the info len. This should go into the guide or the faq (i will start soon)
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now, i'm not sure that this is working correctly. it appears that if the modem disconnects because of an inactivity time out duration is reached, that it will unselect the connect automatically box, so when a new connection is attempted, it won't connect? confused
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. there's gotta be a way around this... maybe multiple profiles?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying something that might be doing the trick (hopefully). i went to control panel-> internet options-> connections-> settings and selected automatically detect settings. i've closed the modem connection, and when i went to reopen IE, it did so automatically. this still needs to be tested and proven/ disproven though.

edit: it appears that automatically detect settings is working w/ the disconnect if inactive settings mentioned above. so far so good. now comes the longer duration test to verify that this will work repetatively, and w/ o failure.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far 1 WU was sent, and a new one was picked up w/ o intervention, but the 2nd completed WU had some kind of upload problem, and caused the automatically connect box to become unchecked?? i used the -send all flag, and a 10 minute inactivity wasn't enough to send. i then switched to dsl, and uploaded the WU. it looks like the inactivity duration needs to be set higher to 15 minutes. a queue program might be good for dial up problems. not sure if the UD beta prog will load GAH or FAH WU's though?

edit: the UDmonitor prog will queue GAH wu's. when they have a version out that will queue FAH wu's, then it'll be great for the much faster comp's, esp. those that will have sporadic internet connections.

Last edited by len444 on Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran about 6 wu's w/ an hsp micro modem in win2k pro sp2 (sp4 and all fixes applied). i found that the disconnect if inactive setting needed to be set to 10+ minutes. i set it to 15 minutes. people at FAH forum suggest that the modem connection will remain open, so such a high duration for inactivity setting is not needed. i suspect that those that dished out advice were dsl users who "know" how a modem is supposed to function. i found that the console version didn't seem to register it's activity as activity to keep the connection open, thus requiring a higher setting to cover the duration to upload, and download wu's. took about 8 minutes w/ 42 kbps connection to both upload completed wu, and download a new one. it might be advantageous to have a hardware modem, instead of relying on drivers, and windows w/ a software pos modem like the one i used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboards.org Folding Team All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: