absolute speed

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

absolute speed

Postby CAIN » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:04 pm

This post may have been posted before but i dont know where what r the absolute fastest flags to set to make use of this water cooled processing machine with 1 gig of ddr 400
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
CAIN
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:44 pm

what are your system spec's?

ok, i see ddr 400, but no mention of mb, and cpu, but it's safe to assume it's quite new. 3.25 beta console, and just use the flags as per the team page guide. one consideration is to specify FAH WU preference under advanced config options, and 100%cpu (windows version). i use low priority setting. accept other defaults, and let it crunch away. use ctrl -c to close the console version correctly (or pause then quit the graphical version).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby CAIN » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:27 pm

well its a dragon ultra and its got a 2.1 Ghz proc
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
CAIN
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby gryphyn » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:44 am

After setting your F@H on desktop open properties and on the target line insert -advmethods -forceasm. it should look like this when done "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winfah.exe" -forceasm -advmethods
Make sure you have a space before each hyphen in it.

G
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
gryphyn
Initiate
Initiate

Postby len444 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:03 pm

gryphyn wrote:After setting your F@H on desktop open properties and on the target line insert -advmethods -forceasm. it should look like this when done "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winfah.exe" -forceasm -advmethods

G

pretty sure ...winfah.exe is the 3.24 version, which only applies forceasm on the first WU, and not the successive WU's. 3.25 beta has been reworked to keep -forceasm active. -forceasm "flag" applies sse speed boost, by using the sse optimizations on the cpu. might be as much as a 20% speed boost (provided sse is ion the cpu). 3.25 beta link is at bottom of downloads page. but adding the flags will be exactly as gryphen states. just a heads up regarding how the 3.25 beta is better than 3.24 version.

copy of changelog:
Folding@Home 3.25 beta
May 7, 2003

----------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS BETA WILL NOT EXPIRE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
RECENT CHANGES (Client) - from 3.24 Release:

3.25 beta (unmarked)
--------------------
- If -forceasm is used, then on every execution of the core until the
client is restarted, SSE optimizations will be used if possible (if
the chip is an AMD chip, then be default, without the flag, it would
not be chosen over 3DNow). Prior to this client, this effect would have
held true only for the first work unit run after starting the client.

beta page:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/beta/beta.html
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby joshvee » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:52 pm

gryphyn wrote:After setting your F@H on desktop open properties and on the target line insert -advmethods -forceasm. it should look like this when done "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winfah.exe" -forceasm -advmethods

G

This is exactly what I do on my 1.5gig + comps and I set my client type to "folding@home".....but one more point. I set the Core priority to "slightly higher".

with my less than 1.5gig comps I set my client type to "Genome at home" or "no preferance"....I find that this way it seems to download 100 framers and usualy 50 points (score) hey I must be doing something right look at my average..... score 1834....WUs 41 = 44.7 points per WU

PS I'm running 3.25 beta and Windows XP pro on all my machines even the 233 MHZ P2
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby CAIN » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:05 pm

next time im over at his place and his girl friend says "ok sure he can come over" LOL i'll do that instead

right now hes just got 3.24 graphical running in the back ground and i presume it will take care of the sending and recieveing of the WU's without my presence
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
CAIN
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:53 pm

joshvee wrote:PS I'm running 3.25 beta and Windows XP pro on all my machines even the 233 MHZ P2

joshvee, i'm curious as to how the pII 233mhz comp is holding up? are you running GAH preference, or just letting it do FAH WU's?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby CAIN » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:01 pm

oh put this on my moms machine too so now i got a superfast machine at my friends house folding and my moms machine folding :cry: i wish i had internet i wish my job haddnt screwed me over so that i would have had internet by now :x
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
CAIN
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tulatin » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:08 pm

Why not just use freebies liek the aol trials to connect when you need to?
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team