In case you mind ...

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Ripshod » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:58 am

Nope, didn't work. I should have waited cos I was at 78%. Ah well, at least I got the drive done!!
CALL &BD19 (If you need to ask you don't need to know)
Ripshod
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ladd » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:33 am

Brutal.... I wonder why that didnt work for you? It worked twice when it happened to me.
Ladd
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ripshod » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:58 am

Have a look at my original post, you will see a lot of possible answers, but not one works with me:-
http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30692
CALL &BD19 (If you need to ask you don't need to know)
Ripshod
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:52 am

cazador wrote:I would like to know if there is a way to optimize .. F@H....

any special setting of something?

this depends on the system that your running FAH on. if a pIII or newer cpu, then adding some flags can give a speed boost. the config process can be used to specify a certain type of WU. there is a reduced point value for running a GAH WU, which is possible to get w/ the "no-pref" default WU preference setting. i would suggest running the 3.25 beta console version (unless a mac, as 3.25 is officially released). there is a link to the beta versions at the bottom of the downloads page. i found the windows graphical version to lock my system up under full screen mode, and in general seems to be more problematic than the console version.

check out the team page in our sigs. the how to join explanation has some useful info, as well as the guides. also check out the draft version at my web site, as this is the basic content for the team web page. i added some info on adding flags to the windows graphical version. i think the current config is more stable in linux. i hear that this wasn't always the case though. the 3.25 beta version is really the only way to go. there is a flag issue that was resolved w/ the 3.25 beta version.

the -forceasm flag allows sse instruction sets to be utilized, which is supposed to give about a 20% speed boost to a gromacs WU. currently specifying the -advmethods flag will give a higher percentage of gromacs (i haven't seen a single tinker WU yet), and specifyiong FAH WU under advance config options will prevent one from getting a GAH WU, which will be reduced in points value, as we are an FAH team (as opposed to a GAH team). check out FAH forum for further questions- try their search engine.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:08 am

That solution ladd mentioned can be done with a lovely batch file

essentially

cd C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\
mkdir WUBack
cd Work
copy *.* C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\WUBack
cd ..
copy unitinfo.txt C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\WUBack
copy queue.dat C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\WUBack

That will back it up for you.

To Restore use (another batch file)

cd C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\WUBack
copy *.* C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\Work
copy unitinfo.txt C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\
copy queue.dat C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\

That will restore it for you. May not work in win xp/2k
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Ladd » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:09 pm

Len444 wrote:

the -forceasm flag allows sse instruction sets to be utilized, which is supposed to give about a 20% speed boost to a gromacs WU. currently specifying the -advmethods flag will give a higher percentage of gromacs (i haven't seen a single tinker WU yet)

Wierd, This is my second tinker since I started using that flag! I'm using the 3.25 beta graphical client. Its the p638_L939_K12M_ext one. I got it to 88% last time and it disappeared (for the first time) and I had to start over on it again. Its been three days (about 16 hours a day) of folding and its just back to 83%. Should be done around midnight.....
Ladd
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:37 pm

did you add -forceasm -advmethods -verbosity 9 to the target area by right clicking the folding@home executable (start-> programs-> Folding@home-> Folding@home right click it instead of left click and select properties-> target, and add the flags)? remember to pause, and quit folding by right clicking the systray icon first, before adding the flags. you might have to right click the systray icon, and select configure there as well for advanced config options. i haven't gotten to that point, so i'm not sure what's there, but if there is an advanced config options selection, and a choice of WU preference, select fah. this will at least prevent you from getting a reduced point value GAH WU. southwind spun his wheels doing a whole bunch of GAH WU's.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby DefaultDave » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:59 pm

Tulatin wrote:That solution ladd mentioned can be done with a lovely batch file

essentially

cd C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\
mkdir WUBack
cd Work
copy *.* C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\WUBack
cd ..
copy unitinfo.txt C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\WUBack
copy queue.dat C:\Progra~1\Foldin~1\WUBack

That will back it up for you....

ya beat me too it :lol: you could even after it's backed up use the 'restore' batch to restore the WU folder then have it call the FAH3.exe proggie and you'd be set everytime (theoretically anyway!)
DefaultDave
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby joshvee » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:44 pm

heh I still cant work out how to set up 2 F@hs on a P4c with hyperthreading. maybe I've been drinking too much 8O I've followed everyones instructions and even the ones on the Motherboards.org folding teams web site (by the way great site smurf and len) but it still wont work. :(
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby len444 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:33 pm

joshvee wrote:heh I still cant work out how to set up 2 F@hs on a P4c with hyperthreading. maybe I've been drinking too much 8O I've followed everyones instructions and even the ones on the Motherboards.org folding teams web site (by the way great site smurf and len) but it still wont work. :(

thank tulatin as well for the graphics on the team pages.

i haven't set up neither a dual cpu nor hyperthreading system yet. i'd love to, but can't afford it. this is what i know though- console version only (use 3.25 beta), create 2 desktop folders labeled say FAH1, and FAH2, and download a copy of the executable to each folder. right click each executable, and select create shortcut. drag the shortcut to the desktop, and right click it, and select properties, and in the target area add the -config -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9 -local flags with a space after the quote mark, and a space between each flag. select apply. do this for both folders, then left click each shortcut add you nickname, team #33258, select yes to change advanced options config, choose FAH WU preference, 100% for cpu, and what's really important is to assign a different machine # for each instance. select default for the first one, which will be machine id#1, and select machine id#2 for the second one. including the -local flag is important for multiple cpu/ hyperthreading to work w/ windows. other thing is winxp is needed for hyperthreading to work, and also must be enabled in the system bios, as well as having a p4c (or xeon) that supports hyperthreading (must have chipset support, cpu support, os support, and bios support for hyperthreading). if i have my information correct, win2k will do multiple cpu's, but not support hyperthreading. i've also seen reference to needing to go into task manager (ctrl + alt + del), and allocating 50% to each cpu/ virtual hyperthreaded cpu- but Aussie stated something about not really needing to do that.

check out the FAH forums as well, and do a search for hyperthreading config for further reinforcement/ variables of correct procedures. forum is under the help section at the FAH main page. this can be accessed by clicking the fah link at the team stats page.

btw, a final detail might involve configuring winxp for hyperthreading support. not sure how to do it, but this will more than likely be the final step in getting it to work.

FAH forum link:
http://forum.folding-community.org/view ... d7367bbaf4
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team