Folding at Home?

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Folding at Home?

Postby fnerd » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:20 pm

Uh, Tulatin

WTF is "folding at home? Why does it rate a team (prolly included in last answer). Why don't I know these vast techie things? All I am is a half-vast user. :oops:
-o(]^[)o-
fnerd
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tulatin » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:27 pm

Now, this is why i had initially had the idea of putting up a question and answer section to our folding at home team announcement. Here goes -

Our Folding at home team is a distrobuted computing team, which runs folding at home in the attempt to do two thigs: the first is to help out humanity by seeing why and how protens fold wrong, causing all sort of fun disesase (mad cow...), and the second is to push our tech site into the top 100 ranking, eventually to the Top 10. Sure this is ambitious, but with support, any dream will fly.

The Client Can Be downloaded from here - http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... nload.html

Now, once it's downloaded, run it, and the config window will pop right up. In the User Name field, put in your motherboards.org User name, and in the team field, enter 33258. That will give yo uthe ability to begin doing work units. However, these things take a long time, usually 4-6 hours for the 400 block ones on good machines.

The official page for folding is right here - http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/

It should answer any remianing questions. Now, if there is anythign else you need to know, PM me. Also - the best way to get it online is to check off "use internet explorer connection settings" in the connection tab of the configuration utility. After it's all configured, hit okay, and when you see numbers under work unit progress, it's going.

-Tulatin

Now, as to why it rates a team is fairly simple - it gives us a place to combine our efforts together in, and an official banner to work under.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby fnerd » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:35 pm

Thanks, Tu, for the explanation. Cool project. There are probably
teraflops of ways protiens can fold. I'll look at the sites. But I don't run that kind of uptime and don't like to network, so apologize in advance for not partiipating.
-o(]^[)o-
fnerd
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tulatin » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:19 pm

Don't worry about it dude, and as to uptime, just leave the pc on, whether you use it or not. As to networking, there's almsot none to be done, so just do a littel config and it's ripe for use.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby whiteboy » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:26 am

ok i went ahead and joined the folding@home team. do we have anymore teams out there. I also do seti@home and was wondering. might even create 1 if needed
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby NascarFool » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:20 am

I am folding for another place, otherwise I would have joined up here. As you can see, I have been doing it for a while.

NascarFool
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:43 am

If it's anything like SETI, teams can join other teams as well (hint, hint). Ask the teamleader, Nas.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby NascarFool » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:26 am

I'll check into it. :D
NascarFool
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tulatin » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:00 pm

That is true - come over to the dark side nascar!
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Tramp » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:48 pm

hey since this is a new Folding @ home post ... and Evasive and Tualitin are both here .... I gots a new question ... Evasive how does it work with the Linux distros and since that machine that I'm going to use is such a clunker P3 500 would it be better with the linux distro ... due to decreased overhead ... vs the bloated MS OS's

let me know !!

PS I would possibly be interested in suping the p3 badboy up a bit heres the specs that I remember

ASUS dual processor board (only one 500 tho maybe I can find another one cheap in a auction or something (slot 1 (cartridge type right?)) id have to get the step and such to make sure they are compatible) then OC the both of them to do some serious folding ... :)

that is if the folding at home Linux distros are optimized for smp machines!

any info is appreciated ...
Tramp
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team