The Mother Board
Folding at Home?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboards.org Folding Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fnerd
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Folding at Home? Reply with quote

Uh, Tulatin

WTF is "folding at home? Why does it rate a team (prolly included in last answer). Why don't I know these vast techie things? All I am is a half-vast user. oops
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, this is why i had initially had the idea of putting up a question and answer section to our folding at home team announcement. Here goes -

Our Folding at home team is a distrobuted computing team, which runs folding at home in the attempt to do two thigs: the first is to help out humanity by seeing why and how protens fold wrong, causing all sort of fun disesase (mad cow...), and the second is to push our tech site into the top 100 ranking, eventually to the Top 10. Sure this is ambitious, but with support, any dream will fly.

The Client Can Be downloaded from here - http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/download.html

Now, once it's downloaded, run it, and the config window will pop right up. In the User Name field, put in your motherboards.org User name, and in the team field, enter 33258. That will give yo uthe ability to begin doing work units. However, these things take a long time, usually 4-6 hours for the 400 block ones on good machines.

The official page for folding is right here - http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/

It should answer any remianing questions. Now, if there is anythign else you need to know, PM me. Also - the best way to get it online is to check off "use internet explorer connection settings" in the connection tab of the configuration utility. After it's all configured, hit okay, and when you see numbers under work unit progress, it's going.

-Tulatin

Now, as to why it rates a team is fairly simple - it gives us a place to combine our efforts together in, and an official banner to work under.
fnerd
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tu, for the explanation. Cool project. There are probably
teraflops of ways protiens can fold. I'll look at the sites. But I don't run that kind of uptime and don't like to network, so apologize in advance for not partiipating.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it dude, and as to uptime, just leave the pc on, whether you use it or not. As to networking, there's almsot none to be done, so just do a littel config and it's ripe for use.
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i went ahead and joined the folding@home team. do we have anymore teams out there. I also do seti@home and was wondering. might even create 1 if needed
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NascarFool
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am folding for another place, otherwise I would have joined up here. As you can see, I have been doing it for a while.

evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like SETI, teams can join other teams as well (hint, hint). Ask the teamleader, Nas.

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NascarFool
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check into it. big grin
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true - come over to the dark side nascar!
Tramp
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey since this is a new Folding @ home post ... and Evasive and Tualitin are both here .... I gots a new question ... Evasive how does it work with the Linux distros and since that machine that I'm going to use is such a clunker P3 500 would it be better with the linux distro ... due to decreased overhead ... vs the bloated MS OS's

let me know !!

PS I would possibly be interested in suping the p3 badboy up a bit heres the specs that I remember

ASUS dual processor board (only one 500 tho maybe I can find another one cheap in a auction or something (slot 1 (cartridge type right?)) id have to get the step and such to make sure they are compatible) then OC the both of them to do some serious folding ... lachen

that is if the folding at home Linux distros are optimized for smp machines!

any info is appreciated ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboards.org Folding Team All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: