switching from AMD to P4. any help pls. thx

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

switching from AMD to P4. any help pls. thx

Postby MBnoob » Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:18 am

good day,
I want to upgrade from my existing AMD Mb and cpu to a P4.

my existing specs:
cpu: amd 1700xp
motherboard: ECS K7S5A
mem: x2 pc2100 ddr ram 266mhz
video card: asylum geforce4 ti4200?
hd: 60 gb

I want to use my existing memory if necessary. Im sick of my motherboard. No doubt its cheap, but its unstable abit in 266mhz fsb.
I was playing Warcraft 3 and the game will lag, slow down and freeze even in single player after a game or 2. I thought maybe its the video card, but it is a geforce4 anyway. And I heard from friends that P4 are better for online games, which, is the bulk of the use of the PC other than school work.

so any suggestions? Upgrade to a P4 or get a new motherboard?
The problem I have is that I dunno which motherboard to get that has the chipset to run on 266mhz ddr ram, and which is decent price and more stable than the cheap ECS motherboard.

thx for your time.

:!: added: Im currently monitoring pricewatch.com, but all they have for P4 combos are PC Chips and ECS.
Last edited by MBnoob on Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MBnoob
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby jimmy-j » Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:28 am

what setting, have you got in the bios for your memory/processor?
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

just the default

Postby MBnoob » Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:03 am

i fiollowed the attached instructions and put in 133/133mhz.
thats the only option availabe for changein the cpu section of the bios
other than 100/100, 100/133
MBnoob
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby dallascisco » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:02 am

any p4 mother board that has the 845 chipset will takr ddr 366 ram. Although you would see a gain with going with ddr333. Your choice of course.
dallascisco
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Valour » Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:31 pm

Well you could certainly buy a new P4 board and CPU, but I think you can solve your problems with your current setup mor cheaply and easily.

You don't say exactly how much RAM you have... if it's 512MB or more, then there's no need to get any more. You could move that XP1700 up to an XP2200, which will give you a significant performance gain for around $100. That could take care of the slowdown problem you're having.

There may also be problems with your OS, such as bloatware or spyware running in the background taking up resoruces. You could have a seriously fragmented hard drive and that can cause slow load times.

If you want the best P4 board for gaming, get the MSI 655 Max-LS. You will get more of a boost in 3D performance by switching to that motherboard and a P4 2.4ghz CPU than you would by upgrading to the best video card on the market with your current motherboard. It's that good -- and not terribly expensive if you get the LS edition. The FISR edition is a waste of money. You'll need DDR400 with this setup though... so if you're determined to buy all new parts, here is a recommendation:

MSI 655 Max-LS
Intel Pentium4 2.4B
Two sticks of 256MB Corsair ValueSelect DDR400

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: switching from AMD to P4. any help pls. thx

Postby sunnyotown » Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:35 pm

MBnoob wrote::!: added: Im currently monitoring pricewatch.com, but all they have for P4 combos are PC Chips and ECS.

Hhhmmmm, how fast some have jumped to the SiS655 chipset! What happened to Rambus :roll: ?

anyways, MBnoob, I've found you get a better price if you buy the motherboard and cpu separately, not as a combo. check it out.

"The reason the French don't want the US in Iraq, is that we will find French equipment/supplies which helped Suddam build his WMD." Me
sunnyotown

Postby dallascisco » Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:38 pm

Technology changes like the tide does sunny. If I can get something tht is equally fast as something else plus is cheaper, as long as the quality isn't compromised I'm their.
dallascisco
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

thx for the input......

Postby MBnoob » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:21 am

I have 512mb ddr ram in 266mhz

how much am I lookin at if I go with Valour's setup?

if I want to go cheap, I was thinkin of just upgrading the motherboard and selling off that ECS mb.

When I first got the AMD, it felt fast, but now it felt slow after I put in the Geforce4, upgrading from Radeon. I dont see much difference now in speed, except for running checkup with the norton compared to my friend's Pentium 3.

If i was playin some high tech game, Ill undertsand, but after a game of Warcraft3 in single player, and the second game goes into lag, thats plain
pathetic considering the setup I got.

I run maintainance wizard once a week, and norton system works 2001 b4 the maintance wizard.

whats a bloatware? I check carefully what goes into my com, and clear out the cookies folder once in a while. Idont run Kazaa, and run adaware bout once a week too to delete any spyware. I dont even run msn messenger, or aim. the only icons in the system tray is sound, modem and internet connection.
MBnoob
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby dallascisco » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:23 am

The setup that valour proposed is going to be kinda steep right now since the board is new, especially since the best cpu to go with it is a p4 2.53. If you just want a new amd board you can get an MSI kt3ultra or kt4 ultra for around 80 bucks. It will take your current cpu and ram, although it can handle ddr 333. You can always add that later.
dallascisco
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Southwind25 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:08 am

The ECS K7S5A is not an unstable board. The problems you're having are probably due to setup or RAM related. I'm still using one of the version 1 boards with a 1700+ and my son used it in his gaming machine with all kinds of cpu's and video cards and it has always been stable. Don't misunderstand I'm not trying to tell you it's the fastest board available, but the latest boards on the market will still freeze and do random reboots if not setup properly.
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Next

Return to Recommendations