Commonly overlooked things READ FIRST BEFORE BUYING

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

your "what to buy" treatise

Postby jspoors » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:13 pm

Clear, concise, extremely helpful to a newbie.
Thank you
j
jspoors
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Impulse » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:55 pm

Clear, concise, extremely helpful to a newbie.
Thank you

I agree...Excellent post
"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger."
Impulse
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby spiza » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:37 pm

Hmm, I don't know if the AMD vs Intel discussion still completely holds up after 4 yrs other than on cost.
spiza
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Grongle » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:28 pm

6 years have gone by, now. It says it's "updated periodically", so anytime soon it will maybe drop the recommendations for AGP cards.

It was a very nice piece of writing in its day, but it is just getting old. The people who really need its advice will be the same ones who don't know which advice is out-dated.

Hm. I guess everything grows old in time, and loses its relevance. I should know. I'm 61. ':-|'
Grongle
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Beetle559 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:21 am

I'd have to disagree with Grongle, I really needed the advice of this thread and gleaned quite a bit of useful info. The technology may be outdated but the advice is golden.

March 2009
Beetle559
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby temyca » Mon May 18, 2009 11:39 pm

thank you very much!
temyca
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby AmEv » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:25 pm

What about PCIe?
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby evasive » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:16 pm

PCIe is the way to go. AGP is long gone now. They are still selling AGP video cards but motherboards with AGP have gone. PCI: only in very rare cases you would want to add a PCI video card to your system. If you're trying to decide whether or not to, your system is probably outdated and should be replaced anyway.

SDRAM/DDR is out. It is all DDR2/DDR3. If you have a SDRAM/DDR board, consider replacing the motherboard as well.

AMD vs Intel. Still cost issue. Intel still has the upper end of the desktop market at a premium price. Nothing new there.

Onboard video: you still need a seperate video card for decent gaming performance. Onboard video is good enough for everyday use.

ATi vs nVidia: not completely have the picture right now, ATi seem to have their act together on drivers.

Upgrading systems: as said, for AGP systems, maybe the video card. Anything before socket AM2 or LGA775: replace the system. Most likely you have IDE drives in there, that is another dying standard. The higher-end replacement CPUs for these older boards are more expensive than a regular motherboard/CPU/memory combo that will run circles around your "upgraded" system.

OEM boxes: same rules still apply.

Even though the technology mentioned in the original posting is now becoming obsolete, all the general rules about upgrading/replacing still apply.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:47 pm

About the only thing I would add is the perils of buying a retail "prebuilt" comp. It's not as bad as it used to be, where even trying to add RAM required buying pricey, brand-specific memory from the manufacturer. For the most part, everything is industry-standard now. The only exceptions tend to be oddly-shaped PSU's and, occasionally, motherboards with different from ATX standard mounting holes. They're designed to last a few years, and an upgrade or two, but really need to be replaced after four years max. Something to bear in mind when deciding to spend a bit more to build your own, or just order a Dell and call it a day.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:47 am

Yeah but by the time you want to upgrade (after 2-3 years into ownership) you'll find the OEM boards are a bit more limited than you thought, the only times I see incompatibilities between boards/video cards is on OEM systems. Because they will try and save every last penny in building them. Be it the power supply that goes kaboom or the bios designed to only use the proprietary headless video adapter upgrade (both dell optiplex 7xx series!) there are always nasty surprises in there. I stopped trying upgrades on OEM boxes...

If you buy an OEM box, consider it a black box. Use it, sell it off after it's sell-by date and get a new one. They are still not meant to be tinkered with.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations