So What Happens When XP Support Ends?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby OneSpirit » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:36 pm

I know xp will still function after the support ends, but will there be a way to still use xp and be secure? I know a lot of people that don't what to let go of xp ... it is a stable os. Instead of coming up with all these new os that require upgrade of apps they couldn't just improve on xp ... but no ... no money in that ...

So is there anything us xp users can do? Thanks for reading my post.
Main Rig_Intel i7 4770k@3.50
ECS H87H3-WM Ver1
16Gb DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 1050Ti GPU
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
Corsair CX750M
Win7 Ultimate x64
Rig2_AMD FX8120
GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 Mobo
4Gb DDR3 1600
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 550TI
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Rosewill M650
Win7 64
OneSpirit
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:27 am

Check this thread.. http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... p?t=120694 Hundreds of thousands of XP OS versions still in use world-wide!
Likely XP will still be in use for many months after its 'abandonment', but new programming may be scarce. Possibly, there will be acceptance by browser types and antivirus programs. You just won't get any security updates.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:43 am

We will all die!!!! Only joking... As I have said before a lot of businesses still use XP especially on cash registers and ATM machines... I would give it a few years yet... I personally don't use it at home now, Ubuntu linux is a lot better and as useful... Bad news though it is good bye to a lot of old software (mainly games), exactly the same happened when I jumped from win98se to XP.... :D
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:54 pm

XP support isn't ending, that's M$ propaganda & scare tactics. It's just changing form.

M$ burned so many corporate customers pushing off Vista on them, they lost a huge measure of customer good will and had to do something drastic in order to get them to buy Win7/8. To ease their fears, M$ promised them they could "downgrade" to XP any time before 2020.

That's a pretty hollow promise if there is no XP support. Most XP support will no longer be free, but they will continue to update and patch XP for "custom support" clients. Maybe I'm being Pollyannish, but I'm betting most if not all of the patches they create will leak out.

M$ also will continue to update XP's Malicious Software Removal Tool, at least through July 2015. XP activation and patching servers also will remain operational, although there might not be any new patches/updates added to it. So you should even be able to reinstall and re-activate XP, but it would be a good idea to make sure you have installation media on hand, as well as copies of SP2 and SP3 (SP3 requires either SP1.a or SP2 already be installed). I have installation media with SP3 "slipstreamed" so SP3 gets installed with the OS be default.

My advice is to make sure you have applied all the available patches before 08 April. Run Microsoft Security Essentials, available here (11mb) and deal with any security vulnerabilities it identifies. This file probably will not be available from M$ after 08 April.

For reasons I addressed on this page, ditch the Windoze native firewall and install a 2-way 3rd-party firewall. Comodo seems to be the vashizzle at the moment.

An "Internet Security" app probably would be a good idea. They cover more bases than an antivirus, and I've read they are S.O.P. in those places where bootlegged XP is entrenched in the economy (i.e., Red China).

In case you need to reinstall, be sure your product key code is available. If your sticker is missing or illegible, you can discover the code with a free software available here.

FWIW, I also believe M$ will end up backing down. On the 9th of April, somewhere between 25%-33% of all the PCs in the world will be running on an unsecure OS. If M$ gives away free those patches their custom support clients are paying through the nose for, those clients understandably aren't going to be too happy. But they'll be far unhappier if the Internet collapses because the crackers managed to compromise all those hundreds of millions of un-patched XP boxes. M$ will be allowing an unprecedented vulnerability to exist.

On the one had, you can say it isn't M$'s fault people made the choice to run unsecure boxes, but they weren't unsecure when we bought them. And nowhere in the EULA does it say, "We reserve to right to make the OS you paid us good money for obsolete by ceasing to support it."

Bottom line, the future for Linux just ...keeps on ...getting ...brighter.
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Getting different views on this issue

Postby OneSpirit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:05 am

So does the ending of support in April means no bank, Amazon, Ebay and so on transactions on XP or will that program they are supporting until 2015 will be enough protection? :-|
ECS H87H3-WM Ver1
16Gb DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 1050Ti GPU
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
Corsair CX750M
Win7 Ultimate x64
Rig2_AMD FX8120
4Gb DDR3 1600
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 550TI
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Rosewill M650
Win7 64
OneSpirit
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Getting different views on this issue

Postby Roach412 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 am

OneSpirit wrote:So does the ending of support in April means no bank, Amazon, Ebay and so on transactions on XP or will that program they are supporting until 2015 will be enough protection? :-|

you can do whatever you want on your XP machine after that date...just as you can actually still use windows 95/98 currently if you so feel the desire. XP will probably still be around for a number of years - at least until hardware drivers no longer are easy to get and components die out.

BrevCampagnolo wrote:And nowhere in the EULA does it say, "We reserve to right to make the OS you paid us good money for obsolete by ceasing to support it."

nowhere does it say it will guarantee the product will be viable for more than the instant you purchase it either...

riding the anti-microsoft train pretty hard lately.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:30 am

Very likely, Win XP will be accepted for use after April 8, 2014.. but no security patches or other support service will be available, except perhaps their 'malicious software removal' tool ( KB890830 ) for another year. It is issued once each month. This link spells out the details.
The only major hurdle is if browser versions and antivirus/firewall programs will still honor the use of XP.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

3rd Party Anti Virus?

Postby OneSpirit » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Will comodo be enough along with malwarebytes and the other software like it be enough to protect xp? Or should the window security software ... can't remember what they call it ... be installed? :-|
ECS H87H3-WM Ver1
16Gb DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 1050Ti GPU
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
Corsair CX750M
Win7 Ultimate x64
Rig2_AMD FX8120
4Gb DDR3 1600
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 550TI
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Rosewill M650
Win7 64
OneSpirit
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:24 am

Comodo should do a decent job. But not rated in the "top 10" reviews. Yet any program may be better than the basic offering from MS. Don't duplicate a firewall or antivirus feature. That can cause drastic slowing of a system!
Internet Security Program Comparisons:
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 am

After about the first week's exposure to Win8, I began predicting that M$ would resort to producing another XP-like OS (which I call "XP Classic," harkening back to the infamous "New Coke" debacle) and if what I'm reading (in UK's Micro Mart magazine) is true, that pretty much is what Win9 will be: a familiar interface designed to run on X86 and ARM hardware. And Win9 will abandon Win8's "one-size-fits-all" philosophy, going back to different versions of the OS for different markets and platforms.

Maybe they finally are coming to grips with the fact that most PC owners are not "geeks," they don't salivate over the challenge of learning a new OS, and quite to the contrary, they would prefer that their home PC has an interface familiar to the one they have to use at work. And since >80% of workplace computers still are running XP or Win7, that pretty much boxes Win8 out of the home PC market.

All the more reason, IMHO, not to spend money to get on Win7 or 8 (especially for X86 hardware). Win9 is only a year or so off, and I can stand on my head longer than that.
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to Operating Systems