Changing To A Different OS ???

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Changing To A Different OS ???

Postby c327 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 am

This concerns a quality custom build PC that has a damaged XP Pro SP3 O.S. installed.

Knowing that XP anything will no longer be supported some time in April 2014 and knowing that I need to either reinstall XP something or a different version of something else I am on a fence with going through spending a day reinstalling an old O.S. that in less than 3 months will no longer be supported or should I buy a newer Windows O.S. that I really don't like what is available as of today.

Or do I re install XP now and possibly when Microsoft comes out with a new O.S. which I probably won't like to begin with buy and install that ?

Is anything here worth the effort or am I kind of answering my own question ????? I want to stay with a Windows OS

I obviously need to do something if I intend on using that PC ????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:42 am

May be time to 'bite the bullet' and go with an OS that still has a few years of service life. But with Win XP, it may still be accepted for Web use and other general needs. Program updates likely will not be available for it, but hopefully antivirus and firewall suites may still be available for keeping it in use. Windows 2000 was totally abandoned, due to its very close similarity of structure. Win XP is a bit more "refined". Consider all the small business groups that still use Win XP.. and the expense of an upgrade or replacement of the OS.. not to mention the larger corporations with their IT personnel. Huge costs involved in the change.
Your decision, of course, but attempting a 'repair' operation may restore the full usefulness of the OS until its official termination. I will continue use of my Win XP setups for as long as they are accepted.
In another month or so, will have a newer system built that will require Win 7 for the F@H projects, along with a GPU folding-capable feature. But my "money tree" is sort of barren right now!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 am

windows 7 should run fine on your machine if that is still

MOBO - Intel DP55KG 133MHz
CPU - Intel i7 860 2.80 GHz
HDD - Seagate 500GB ST500DM002 7200 rpm 92% free
Memory - Crucial 2X2048
O.S. - Windows XP Pro SP3
BIOS - Updated
File System - NTFS

Yes windows 7 takes a bit of getting used to but at least you still have the desktop, not the tile factory. Please do make a backup of your files and licenses/mail/address book/favorites and start with a clean install. Get the 64bit edition so if you decide to cram more memory into that board, you can actually use it.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/hi ... rds/dp55kg
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:55 pm

evasive wrote:windows 7 should run fine on your machine if that is still

MOBO - Intel DP55KG 133MHz
CPU - Intel i7 860 2.80 GHz
HDD - Seagate 500GB ST500DM002 7200 rpm 92% free
Memory - Crucial 2X2048
O.S. - Windows XP Pro SP3
BIOS - Updated
File System - NTFS

Yes windows 7 takes a bit of getting used to but at least you still have the desktop, not the tile factory. Please do make a backup of your files and licenses/mail/address book/favorites and start with a clean install. Get the 64bit edition so if you decide to cram more memory into that board, you can actually use it.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/hi ... rds/dp55kg

Windows 9 may be the name of the next Windows OS? but not expected until 2015 so I have read, not going to wait that long.I think I will reload XP Pro SP3 and ride it out as long as I can and when the next Windows OS shows up I will make a final decission then.. Is there a way for me to slip stream all of the current XP Updates to a CD so that in case I need to reload the XP OS after April I will have the latest updates up to the ending of XP. We can move this to a different forum if you think it needs to.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:21 am

Look in the parent Windows OS folder.. there will be numerous sub-folders starting with " $NtUninstallKB***. You can copy the update string, and DL it into an archive if desired. Gets to be tedium after a while.
You could always do an 'upgrade' to a newer OS platform, and not loose any personal settings or program license info. But do a full backup first. The upgrade path can become rocky, when you go beyond two 'stages'. Better to start with a clean slate.
Windows OS versions beyond XP require a minimum 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 16 GB disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit). And a minimal 1 GHz processor. In reality, disk space should be no less than 250 GB, considering other programming needs, either way. Then too, any video must be compatible with DirectX 9, with WDDM 1.0 or higher.
Here is a list of Windows XP updates in the SP3 overhaul.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:55 am

you can slipstream the updates into your windows setup CD in several ways indeed.

Windows 7 will be supported until roughly 2020. The reason I say go that way is because recently my XP systems seem to become more unstable after each patch round from M$, it is starting to show its age really, finally.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:20 am

Windows Xp is creaking, but if you have a lot of software that utilises it and an XP licence, it is worth the reinstall. Genuine Windows 7 licences have become like rocking horse manure to buy as OEM or retail. M$ are pushing windows 8 (8.1) which isn't that bad onece you get used to it.

If you don't want to pay try a free linux distribution like Ubuntu, Mint and the like. Does a s much as an M$ product for free, but like updating a windows operating system, there is a learning curve.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:56 pm

I tend to work my PCs pretty hard but I have run XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Linux each, alternately, on each of five different 32-bit platforms, and for my use, both 7 and 8/8.1 use RAM too aggressively and too uneconomically to be useful when limited to 4GB of RAM. You only need to open Task Manager immediately after you've booted and compared the size of the page file (Physical Memory) each is commandeering exclusively for system use to see the truth of that. And memory leaks are at least as bad.

So I have no intention of giving up XP so long as the 32-bit hardware I'm now running it on remains functional. Unless and until the hackers/crackers prove me a fool. But to improve my odds, I am switching to a 3rd-party firewall.

Windoze's native firewall is adequate for what it is, except that it only keeps evil stuff out. It does nothing to prevent evil stuff that's already managed to get in from reaching out to call for reinforcements. Most malwares aren't delivered to your PC fully formed. They need to reach out through the firewall to their 'hive' to retrieve the rest of their pieces parts. Or to replicate and proliferate. A decent 3rd-party firewall at least stands a chance of preventing this, so I consider it essential to continuing to use XP.

Windoze 7 buyers were promised the ability to "downgrade" (Micro$loth's term, not mine) to XP until 2020, so M$ isn't totally abandoning it. Their patching and activation servers will remain up and running and online, so you even will continue to be able to reinstall it. But only rarely will M$ issue new patches for it, and only when a critical new vulnerability is discovered. 3rd-party hardware manufacturers will support it for so long as there's money to be made in it. But XP users will be particularly vulnerable to zero-day attacks, especially since the hackers/crackers will know your system is less well protected than before.

But the hackers/crackers have been knowing this day was coming for a l-o-n-g time, so whatever happens, it surely will be interesting.
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:56 am

I agree with you, Brev.. but hackers and predators will look to "fresh meat" conquests, more so than "carrion" (new OS versions compared to abandoned). What MS offers for a firewall is basic. But a required security program. Third-party free programs are good in their own right, but a purchased program is still better.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations