Asus Commando PSU Query

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Rudurk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:10 am

evasive wrote:Is that your review at Amazon UK then?

This is regarding the 720w version.
My offering certainly was silent... after the crackling from inside when first switched on.

I can find other reviews that are not exactly brilliant:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1026823/atri ... ini-review

And you have paid waaay too much at the time. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you still have that PSU, could you open it up and show what capacitors are used in there? If they have the same CS or SC stylized marking it all figures.

Open it up... hmm would i not get shocked LOL I heard even if its off it stores enough power to kill you. i could try opening it if you really wanna see it.

I wish I had gone for OCZ at the time.. and no i don't think thats my one thats a different one(even though the model number seems to be the same).. I believe it doesn't have the 8 pin connector

this is my one

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... 160613.jpg
Rudurk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:40 am

Computer power supplies (the PSU) do pack enough power to kill someone.. if the discharge path is across the heart! Two large capacitors in the primary circuit store up to 250 volts DC, which is lethal. DC voltages can freeze body muscles, causing temporary paralysis. AC voltages can cause body muscles to tighten and relax quickly, and thus may cause you to release your contact. But not always!
Safest way to work on a PSU is to remove the AC power cord, and attempt a few starts before removing it. Let it sit for about 1/2 hour, to ensure the primary voltage reserves have dropped to near zero. Then it is safe to work on.
As to repairing a PSU, not worth the effort. Regulation circuits may be damaged by bad caps, and may then damage the rest of the system.
Going with a good brand of PSU having more wattage than needed is a safe bet. For the few dollars extra, you get a better product. A PSU will never "push" more power than needed.. only provide what is required.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Tech Support