Asus Commando PSU Query

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Asus Commando PSU Query

Postby Rudurk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:42 am

Hi,

This Motherboard(Asus Commando) has a 24 Pin and 8 Pin Connector on the motherboard.

My power supply(Atrix 520W) only has a 24 Pin and 4 Pin Connector.

It starts the computer, but after a while(1-2 Hrs) it switches off is this a problem with the PSU or the motherboard??

I did a Memtest on my RAMs it passed with no errors... so I know its not my RAMs

So I am left with thinking is it the Power Supply thats not enough, or is the motherboard faulty... or maybe is it the Graphics card thats the culprit?

Can some one help me figure out what is actually wrong

Thanks a lot.
Rudurk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:48 am

Your current power supply is not able to feed enough power to the board.
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Rudurk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:01 am

hmmm I see.. would that explain the pc not powering on straight away? when it switches off it takes 2 minutes to start up i mean i keep pushing the power on button(even on the motherboard) it takes 2 mins of waiting time before it starts.

and would a 720W be enough? and does it have to be a 8 Pin connector? or 4 pins will do?
Rudurk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:16 am

I have honestly been out of the hardware realm for quite some time now, so the recommended wattage for your setup, I cannot really say.

As far as the auxillary power connector. If your board has an 8pin connector, you need a power supply with an 8pin auxillary cable.
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Rudurk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:38 am

Toby B. wrote:I have honestly been out of the hardware realm for quite some time now, so the recommended wattage for your setup, I cannot really say.

As far as the auxillary power connector. If your board has an 8pin connector, you need a power supply with an 8pin auxillary cable.

Okay thanks for your help... Ill get a new PSU soon. thanks
Rudurk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:40 am

List out what your system comprises of... The bigger the video card, the more power you need, the more hard drives, the more power required and so on..... And while you are thinking about, forget the cheapo brands, look at Corsair, OCZ, Antec etc, ie a decently branded one.. They have good warranty and are good steady PSU's which will last you for adding new stuff in future upgrades...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Rudurk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 am

Mr T wrote:List out what your system comprises of... The bigger the video card, the more power you need, the more hard drives, the more power required and so on..... And while you are thinking about, forget the cheapo brands, look at Corsair, OCZ, Antec etc, ie a decently branded one.. They have good warranty and are good steady PSU's which will last you for adding new stuff in future upgrades...

Motherboard: Asus Commando
CPU: Q6600 (Running at stock coz anything more will not even start the dang thing)
Corsair XMS2 1GBx3
Graphics card: Radeon X1650
Zalman 9500 Cooler
Case: has a LCD
1 Rear fan
1 fan at the top
1 Side fan with lights

I built this pc like 5 years back.. and it has always had the shutting down problem...

but 4 years back I bought a 720 Watts 8 pin connector PSU for it... and plugged it in.. and it made a loud noise.. and switched off wouldn't start.

at that point i thought fudge everything in there must be dead sooo.. i left it in dust.. LOL

just 2 days back I was bored so i thought i'll give it another go and replaced the powersupply with the old original 520W PSU

and it start, but had no display (so i took out all the rams tried them one by one I had 4 of those XMS2 RAMs one of them turned out to be dead took it out and display started working) and computer start i was like the heck all this time it was the stupid PSU that was dead (at a close inspection it seems it was fault one of the pins from the 24 Pin connector was missing...( obviously i found this just 2 days back so it was already out of RMA period ) so yeah kinda my fault for not checking it 4 years back.
Rudurk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:24 am

12KUANG JIN ENTERPRISE CO.,LTD capacitors in that Atrix power supply. Time to get yet another and now a decent-branded power supply. The caps have rested long enough to recover a bit but they are bad and will catastrophically fail at some point.

What was the brand and model on that 720W power supply? I suspect it was cheap and it may have been downright nasty built...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Rudurk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:43 am

evasive wrote:12KUANG JIN ENTERPRISE CO.,LTD capacitors in that Atrix power supply. Time to get yet another and now a decent-branded power supply. The caps have rested long enough to recover a bit but they are bad and will catastrophically fail at some point.

What was the brand and model on that 720W power supply? I suspect it was cheap and it may have been downright nasty built...

It was a Atrix(720W) one as well LOL it was £60 when i bought it.
Rudurk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:59 am

Is that your review at Amazon UK then?

This is regarding the 720w version.
My offering certainly was silent... after the crackling from inside when first switched on.

I can find other reviews that are not exactly brilliant:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1026823/atri ... ini-review

And you have paid waaay too much at the time. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you still have that PSU, could you open it up and show what capacitors are used in there? If they have the same CS or SC stylized marking it all figures.

Their website is completely dead BTW, it is now in the hands of a domain-shark.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Tech Support