computer makeing intermitent noise

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

computer makeing intermitent noise

Postby robert@75 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:55 pm

My i yr old acer model AM3910-ur30P core i3 540 processor bought from newegg win7 64

runnig fast no problems untill 3 days ago started makeing a cla punk noise every 5 or 10 seconds while runnig, noise stops for a while then starts again I ran a deep san in my updated norton internet security anti virus found no infections. I do some downloading offf the net. could a virus be causing the noise?
robert@75
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Toby B. » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:31 am

sounds like a dying piece of hardware, possibly a hard drive or a fan.. Might want to take the side off the case and see it you can narrow it down.

Typically a virus wont cause a noise, unless of coarse it was designed to open an optical drive.
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:37 am

How longs it been running? Have you moved it recently? Is there any USB hardware attached to it?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:14 am

When a hard drive shuts down, the heads zip to the inner tracks and may cause a slight thump as the control arm bumper hits its stop.
Check the energy control settings of the control panel concerning the hard drive. If 'maximum' efficiency is set, that could cause the hard drive to shut down after only a few seconds of inactivity. This can cause excessive wear on the heads and platters, shortening its life. Best is to have it run continuously, only shutting down when the system is shut down. For laptops, of course a 'maximum' energy savings is desired.
"Never shut off" is the best choice for a hard drive, and "after 5 minutes" for a blank-screen process. A screen "saver" is no longer required, with flat-screen LCD types. Best that the input video signal goes off, and the monitor will turn off its display after a bit. Saves the backlight tubes from dying too quickly!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby robert@75 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi I opened the case and i see the 300 FSP GROUP INC psu cooling fan not runing. Looks like a cheap power supply? I get on the net every nite for usually 1 hr and also make a few slide slide shows. I like the intel i3 core with 8 gigs memory runs fast
robert@75
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 am

Replace that power supply.

NOW!
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:58 am

Power supply needs to be replaced if the fan is not running (or you need to be frugal like me and rip it open and replace the fan :P).

The other thing you are taking about
cla punk noise every 5 or 10 seconds while runnig

usually this is a hard drive dying. I would back up your data after replacing the power supply, and run hard drive diagnostics. You may have to replace your hard drive.

If you need help with running hard drive diags, let us know what kind of drive it is.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:49 am

Could be a bad PSU... Causes low power output which may cause the clunking on the hard drive. FSP are terrible and are a cheap option in all the prebuilt machines... As Evasive said, replace now....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Updtae on noise in computer

Postby robert@75 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi My acer computer update The noise stopped several days ago. The
hard drive tested good and all idid last week is run my norton utilities scan and it repaired several errors and then a week later the noise stopped. I dont know if noron stopped it all i know is it stopped. Thanks all to your
replys Bob
robert@75
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:14 am

Some PSU models may have a fan control.. merely for the sake of being quiet. But if the fan does not run, then heat can build up too quickly!
With power removed from the PSU, use a toothpick to nudge the fan blades. If they jiggle to a stop, all is good. But if they coast to a dead stop, the bearing lube has dried.. and either the fan needs to be replaced, or relubed.
The same applies to any small fan in a computer system. Those fans are the 'brushless' type, using only a servo motor core to spin a magnetic ring. They cannot tolerate friction.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support