Raid 1 Config

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby bdub » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:56 pm

well, i guess you could keep the intel in ide mode, and attach your data disks to the orange and white controllers, and turn on the drive expert function... i think that will enable a raid1-like mode for those drives. it is not very elegant, but i think in "ez backup mode", it does the same thing as raid1 on the intel controller.
i guess when the intel controller is in raid mode, those orange and white ports get used on the intel controller, or something like that.

i'm re-reading earlier posts in the thread, and i am assuming now that evasive thought you were installing fresh?

in any case, without the help of ghost, or some other cloning program, there is no way to activate raid mode on the intel controller, and have your current OS disk be seen with its data intact. if you had a cloning program, then i would say use an esata or pata drive on the j-micron controller to clone the setup to, and after rebooting to that j-micron controlled drive, you could turn on the raid mode, boot and install the intel matrix program, shutdown and get the original disk on it, then clone back. then you could boot in raid mode, plug your data drives in, make a raid1 set, and continue on that way.

sorry if i misled you, i really thought the second controller would be less worthless than it appears to be. leave it to asus to put complicated, useless crap circuitry in the channel.

just for future reference, this is the floppy driver to install an os on the intel controller while in raid mode for xp...
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?S ... PVista.zip
you would hit the "f6" key at the right time of setup, like evasive mentioned earlier. there may be a way to force this driver into your current setup using the repair mode of the setup disk, but i am unfamiliar with how that works completely, and i also think you could screw up your current setup in that it would lose some of the programs and updates.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby vic_salve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks for all your help bdub! I've learned quite a bit I guess and was hoping for a much easier solution, but it seems not to be. Thanks again!

So here's my latest. I have removed my "important files" drive from the PC in question and temporarily installed it in my main PC in my office. Now I'm thinking I'll just redo the PC with the OS. So it will have three drives. The main drive will be the OS with the surveillance system a WD 500gig and two Seagate 1tb for my "important files" setup in RAID. I think I'll upgrade to windows 7 on that PC as well.

Any tips on setting this up like this?

Thanks,
Vic
vic_salve
Initiate
Initiate

Postby bdub » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:10 am

for win7x64, you should have at least 4 gigs of ram, and better is 8 gigs. put the intel controller in raid mode, and only the to-be boot drive on that lone sata port towards the back of that block of slots (sata1, i believe). if your dvdrom is sata, you can put it on sata2. win7 should be able to see the setup of the boot drive, but if it doesn't make sure to have the raid driver on a fat32 formatted thumb drive so it is easily installed. that would be here..
actually, i don't even think asus bothers to link one because they know win7 will pick up on it...
but here's the os installable raid driver for after you get installed...
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?S ... 901023.zip
the other latest drivers are all on that page too.

after you get the os all installed and proper drivers on it, then hook up your data drives, set them up either in post screen matrix, or intel matrix inside windows. then you are good to go.

oh and make sure you format the disk in the setup program, you don't want to write a new windows installation along with the current one.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Previous

Return to Tech Support