Raid 1 Config

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Raid 1 Config

Postby vic_salve » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Hello,

Okay. I have a PC in the basement that I use to run the surveillance system of the house. This PC is on 24/7.

Windows XP Pro
Asus P5Q PRO motherboard
2 WD 500 gig drives

On one drive is the O/S and software and storage for the surveillance card and nothing else of importance.

The other drive I have always used for storage of important files. This drive is networked and I access it as need to place those important files.

Time passes and the drive fills up. I have a great idea. I'll purchase two new drives, install them in the basement PC, set them up in RAID 1, transfer important files to the new setup, and now not only do I have more storage, but my files are mirrored and safer than ever.

Seemed like an easy enough process and thought I knew what to do. I intended in not changing the O/S drive at all and continue on my happy way. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble. I am unable to get it going as planned.

I changed to raid in bios set up a raid 1 volume and tried to reboot. Now the O/S drive is not able to be set up as the boot disc. Now I'm tired and look to more experienced folks for help.

I guess the first question is can I change the bios storage configuration from ide to raid? There are two different types of SATA connectors on this motherboard. One supports raid the other does not. The O/S drive is connected to the SATA that does not support RAID.

Thanks in advance for input!

Vic
vic_salve
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 am

Make either of the driver disks in the bottom of this list (yes, that means using a floppy drive! ) and press F6 during the textmode phase of windows XP setup, then feed it the disk. XP has no idea by itself what SATA RAID looks like, you need to give it the mass storage controller drivers first.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5Q_PRO ... ownload_17
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 am

if you are booting off the silicon image controller, then anything you do to the intel controller is not going to affect the boot drive at all. you should be able to change the intel controller to raid, have the system start, and it should tell you it needs a driver for the new mode of the intel controller, from within the OS.

the only problem i see that could occur is if something important to the boot drive was lost when the intel controller was changed. maybe there was a bootmanager, or dual boot routine that resided on the intel controller at one time? something tying the boot drive to the data drive somehow, and it is not there when you change the mode on the intel controller.

check your boot order.... yes that is first to check. and make sure you are still set to boot from silicon image controller first in bios.
but beyond that you should be good to go, unless there is some anomaly like i described above.
Last edited by bdub on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:36 am

aww, misread on my part.

Vic,

Power down, disconnect the data cables from the new drives and any other additional drives so just your original OS drive is still attached, power on. Does it boot?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby vic_salve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:00 am

evasive wrote:aww, misread on my part.

Vic,

Power down, disconnect the data cables from the new drives and any other additional drives so just your original OS drive is still attached, power on. Does it boot?

Okay. I have disconnected all drives except the drive containing OS. This drive is connected to the SATA_e1 silicon image serial ata connector. It did start up and boot as normal.

Only difference is that this drive was originally connected to the ICH10R serial ata connector SATA1 or maybe SATA2 connector.

Thanks
vic_salve
Initiate
Initiate

Postby vic_salve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:11 am

bdub,

The drives were originally connected tot he intel controller. I moved the drive containing the OS over to the silicon image controller and tried to set everything up in the bios accordingly. I can get PC to boot while sata configuration is set to IDE, but when I switch to RAID I can no longer boot from the drive with the OS. I'll check, but I believe when I switch to RAID in bios I'm no longer able to choose the silicon image controller as the first to boot.

Thanks for the help. Still trying to figure it out.
vic_salve
Initiate
Initiate

Postby bdub » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:31 am

look carefully, there should be a way to boot from a drive on the SI controller no matter what condition the intel controller is in. there may also be a seperate SI boot post page you can adjust to mark a boot device, or something like that.
i'll dl your manual to get more familiar.
havve you updated the bios to the latest?

strange, i can't get to the download section for your motherboard....
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
antec neo he 650r
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby vic_salve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 am

I have not updated bios. As a matter of fact it is original as delivered. Never was interested in updating since the pc was just specific use and never had any trouble with it. I have always been a little apprehensive in updating the BIOS.

I will look again at the bios and see if I can find something different that I may have missed.
vic_salve
Initiate
Initiate

Postby bdub » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:06 am

looking for SI controller... in bios... hmmm...
Last edited by bdub on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
antec neo he 650r
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby vic_salve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 am

Under on board devices configuration, I do not have Marvell ide option.

Only have "controller mode. [IDE]" and this can only be changed to AHCI
vic_salve
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Tech Support