LCD Monitor flickering & going black---

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby boheemee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm

I have to agree with evasive, bad caps are still a big problem. I just finished recapping my Acer LCD monitor. 6 bad caps on the power board. Here's a reference to a monitor like yours on the bad caps forum.
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14300
boheemee
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Possible that Windows has done its "thing" again, and optimized the monitor connection beyond its limit? Try a setting for refresh rate at 70 Hz.
If you have a good image when in the BIOS, but after Windows starts you loose the image, very likely. But if an unstable image when in the BIOS, very likely the monitor itself is experiencing the backlight failure syndrome. Your model (and similar) should have a VGA as well as a DVI video port. So possibility of testing on another system is an option. But as you mention 'flickering', that points to either the backlight tubes failing or their power inverter. They require around 150 volts to become active, then the voltage falls to around 60 volts or so (in-circuit load resistor) to keep them lit. The inverter board may have suffered a mild heat extreme, and is in failure mode. If that in-circuit load resistor has gotten too warm, it can pass heat to the solder connections.. and melt them!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 am

I tried onboard video connection. The computer powered on, but nothing appeared on the monitor at all.

I turned off my PC, and connected the monitor back to the videocard again. When I started my PC, it loaded fine for a few minutes. Then it froze on me. It took three attempts to get the monitor to keep working.

Now the monitor started to flicker very badly like a strobe light. I tried a restart, but it flickered at the very start. As a last resort I disconnected my 23" monitor. I am currently stuck using my old 17" monitor.

What do you recommend I do with the other one? Should try getting it repaired from Samsung? What about :( Geek Squad, do they even do repairs like this?

All I know for sure is this smaller monitor isn't going to useful for long.
I need the larger monitor.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:56 am

You should inform Samsung that it is behaving like this, they may have some sort of extended warranty because of the bad capacitor problem (mention you suspect it has that problem). I remember seeing something similar for some of their TV sets a while ago.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:55 am

I've checked with them. It would cost me at least $80-$150? There was no specific price given. That doesn't even include the shipping cost to & from the service center.

A new monitor lost like the best option. This one was 2 yrs 9 months old.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:32 am

:( wow. You could try and put it on ebay with the note it's defect and you suspect it has bad capacitors.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Tech Support