LCD Monitor flickering & going black---

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

LCD Monitor flickering & going black---

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:10 am

This problem just started today. My pc was working fine yesterday when I turned it off.

When I turn on my PC & Monitor it appears to be loading up fine. The bios screen shows up, drives are detected, etc. I get to the loading screen fine, and login, etc. Everything appears fine, then suddenly the screen starts flickering and goes black. I try to see if there is a program crashing (crt/alt/del). The screen appears in flashes showing the task manager. But I can't do anything.

I've tried booting into Safemode and running virus scans.
*PC is clean

I reboot and my PC works fine for a few minutes enough for me to run virus scans again. Most finish completely showing my PC is clean. The others don't finish because I can't do anything on the screen because it freezes and goes black again.

I reboot again and it loads of fine. This time I try updating the videocard & monitor drivers. Both appear to update fine. But after a few minutes the screen freezes and goes black.

I shut down my computer and tried switching the monitor from a vga to dvi connection on the video card. I restart my pc again. It loads up fine, but after a few minutes it freezes and goes black again.

What could be the problem here?

Is there a problem with the motherboards video connection?

Is my monitor conking out on me?

Could it be a combination of both?

My dying dinosaur of a PC:

Athlon 64 3200+
WinXP SP3
2 GB Ram
GeForce (something)

That's the only specs I can get for the PC atm.

Please help me get this PITA working again. :)
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:01 am

Looks like the backligth panel is going bad.

Could U please post brand and model of ur monitor. how old is it?

Are U sure the PC stops Working or just the screen freezes before going black?
Last edited by rascard2007 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:05 am

May be that dreaded "bad caps" syndrome! Take a close look at the caps on the video card, as well as those on the mobo. If any appear to have domed tops, lean excessively, or show leakage, they are bad. If replaced ASAP, likely no permanent damage. But replace with low-ESR type caps of identical voltage and value, rated at 105°C. More info at www.badcaps.net/
If otherwise no bad caps are found, then how old is the monitor? Flat-screen monitors use very slim fluorescent tubes in the bezel to light the screen. They have a finite life, like regular fluorescent lamps. Could be the tubes are going bad, or the power inverter is going bad. Either way, a hassle to get into the workings for repair. Try on another system to see if the same problems arise. If so, then the monitor is at fault. If not, then suspect the original video card.
The better video card require a cooling fan. If that fan does not spin free, then cooling effect is compromised. Easy enough to replace or relube, if needed. Test its ability by nudging the blades with a toothpick. If the blades jiggle to a stop, all is good. If they coast to a dead stop, the bearing lube is sticky.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:25 am

rascard2007 wrote:Looks like the backligth panel is going bad.

Could U please post brand and model of ur monitor. how old is it?

Are U sure the PC stops Working or just the screen freezes before going black?

SAMSUNG SyncMaster 2333 (est 2+ years old)

I'm unable to use the PC because the screen goes black. When I tried shutting down any possible program causing a problem (ctrl/alt/del) I could see the Task Manager as the screen flickered. But I couldn't do anything else.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:27 am

If U test the monitor in another PC and it´s fine the next suspect is the video card, and the usual issue is overheating, u can get a tiny utility called nvidia temp logger here:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1194

to have an constant indication of what temperature the card have.

on anyway u can take a look inside of the computer case to see if it´s need some cleaning to remove dust and nother debriss from inside the case
-The Police-
rascard2007
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am

The other thing it could be is your video card dying. Do you have a spare or onboard video by chance?
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:01 am

rascard2007 wrote:If U test the monitor in another PC and it´s fine the next suspect is the video card,
and the usual issue is overheating, u can get a tiny utility called nvidia temp logger here:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1194

to have an constant indication of what temperature the card have.

on anyway u can take a look inside of the computer case to see if it´s need some cleaning to
remove dust and other debris from inside the case

I can't test this monitor on another PC :(.

I'll give a check on the case/fan dust bunnies.

What is the advantage of that download?

Hardware Junkie wrote:The other thing it could be is your video card dying. Do you have a spare or onboard video by chance?

I don't have a spare card around. But I do have an onboard video port if needed.

Here is what I managed to prior to this replay.

I was able to use my pc with the "problem" monitor without issue for almost an hour. When I took a break I turned off my monitor to give it a rest. When I came back I got the flashing problem. I was able to bring up the task manager, see it between flashes. But I couldn't do anything.

This same situation occurred when I left my instead. I'd come back to a black screen but nothing but flashing.

The only way I got around this was doing a complete restart of my system.

So what does that sound like?

When the monitor/PC is in use it works. But if I leave it alone a bit it conks out on me.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 pm

BIGMAN131307 wrote:
What is the advantage of that download?

this utility allows you to have information on what the temp of ur video card is, so u can see if it´s the card overheating.

try to take out the VGA card and use the onboard video in this way u can check if the problem is the vga card
-The Police-
rascard2007
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 am

My guess:
http://www.badcaps.net

Even today these chinese cr*p capacitors are being usedin almost everything despite their horrendous reputation. After all, electronics only need to last their warranty period, right?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:05 am

I'd still recommending trying the onboard video. It could be something like the onboard video memory failing or the card itself. Could be overheating as well.
If it's not the monitor, its the next thing in line to the system.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Tech Support