Keyboard-Mouse USB Problem?

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Aerion » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:59 am

Through trial and error, I have learned a few small details... In order to NOT have the blinking light, it appears I MUST have a PS2 KB connected. I can even get a solid green without a mouse or a monitor connected. For testing, I have an old PS2 KB and a USB mouse I use when I'm building on More Spam Vomit. I was able to get it working there even in the case with all components attached. But when I moved it back to my office, and connected up my USB G110 KB, I got the flashing green light.

Once I get a solid green light, and it boots, I can apparently move some things around or add stuff as long as I don't completely disconnect the PS or turn the PS off. But once I turn off the PS, I have to wait 5 or 10 minutes to get a solid green light no matter what I do as though it needs a cooling off period.

I also removed the Cooler Master Hyper212 from the MB entirely and just placed the bare heat sink on the CPU (with thermal paste and keeping a close eye on CPU temp) to make sure it wasn't a problem with either the mounting hardware causing a short or a short within the fan itself. I had the same problem.

Another thing I've noted is the bios seems to, by default, assume my memory strips are 1300MHz rather than the 1600MHz stated on the package.

The only thing I have not tried is swapping out the CPU or different memory. I think my wife's computer has a CPU that is compatible with my MB so my next step is to pull her CPU and try it in my computer.
Aerion
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:53 am

In order to NOT have the blinking light, it appears I MUST have a PS2 KB connected.

A setting in the BIOS enables "legacy" USB features. Check that the feature is enabled, or USB devices won't be available until after the OS becomes active. This includes wireless devices, also.. such as keyboard or mouse!
For setting memory speed, use the SPD option on that BIOS page. The BIOS detects the memory ID tag, and sets timings accordingly. Manual settings are for those who wish to go into overclocking or other fields.. or for non-standard memory use. If the memory speed required is "1300" for the CPU FSB relationship, all is good. Using higher-speed memory modules does not mean they can be set to a higher speed than the actual bus needs.
As to retaining BIOS settings, when exiting ensure that a "Y" or "yes" is noted, so the settings are retained when restarting. Most BIOS versions do present that option by default, but all do not.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Have you another PSU to try? Have you tried another USB keyboard and mouse? A 610W no name PSU is not the same as a good branded PSU.. What you are describing are classic symptoms of a weak/underpowered PSU...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Aerion » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Mr T wrote:Have you another PSU to try? Have you tried another USB keyboard and mouse? A 610W no name PSU is not the same as a good branded PSU.. What you are describing are classic symptoms of a weak/underpowered PSU...

My wife's computer has an identical PCP&C 610W PS in her computer and I tried her PS and had the same problem. A PCP&C 610W PS should be enough to power my rig as I only have a single graphics card. Also, I experienced the problem even with a bare minimum boot.
Aerion
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Its not the power of the PSU as a whole, it is how it delves out power to voltage rail... If the 5v rail is poor and you plug in a non self powered device like a keyboard into USB, you can get this issue... The PS2 keyboard uses 5v, but is a dedicated port, so you wont get that issue on its port...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Aerion » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:31 am

Mr T wrote:Its not the power of the PSU as a whole, it is how it delves out power to voltage rail... If the 5v rail is poor and you plug in a non self powered device like a keyboard into USB, you can get this issue... The PS2 keyboard uses 5v, but is a dedicated port, so you wont get that issue on its port...

I get what you're saying and I'm not saying you're wrong. But my wife's computer is an I5-2500 running on an Asus MB and she has an identical power supply and she boots with a full complement of peripherals. I can't even boot mine with JUST the and PS2 KB. I'm sure my processor uses more power than hers but not THAT much more.

I'd gladly buy a bigger power supply if I knew for sure that's the problem but I can't afford to keep buying new parts until I stumble on the fix.

Edit: Please don't think I've taken your words of wisdom lightly. In an attempted to verify your thoughts, I Googled and came across Asus's Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator page (http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx) and entered in my hardware. According to it, my recommended wattage is 550W. I think I can count on my current PS to deliver that much power. Interestingly enough, my wife's processor uses 50W more power than mine does!! But her video card is a much less powerful card than mine (she doesn't play games) so the needs balance out. So you are correct that we are at the limits of our current power supply though we have not yet exceeded them. Thanks for your wisdom!
Aerion
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:02 am

In reviewing the specs page for your P8Z77-M board, memory speed depends on the specific CPU model. Modern CPU versions have different final bus speeds.. and memory has to be compatible with that need. The CPU has many "extra" pins that are dedicated to setting the base FSB, multiplier and all voltages for the CPU.
A true diagnostics program such as Aida 64 from http://www.aida64.com/ , Belarc Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html or SiSoft Sandra from http://www.sisoftware.net/ would display all the specifics of a system.. down to the exact ID tag of memory modules, and their creation date. Plus the CPU true ratings and (approximate) temperature/voltage readings. Motherboard sensors for temperature and voltage are not 100% accurate.. but do what is needed. For accurate voltage measurements, only a decent digital meter can be relied on. Same for temperature readings. Only a thermal probe from a dedicated tester can be considered 'reliable'.
If your present memory modules are truly rated for "1600" bus speed, then a diagnostics would disclose that. But if actual rating is "1333", then the modules are mislabeled.
One question on your setup: Since it has on-board graphics, what is the video aperture setting? When using a graphics add-in card, that memory allocation is not dedicated for video needs.. and can be minimized with no loss of video rendering.
There is a minor mismatch in your system.. but finding it may be frustrating. A diagnostics program will surely shed light on the matter.
And perhaps it is a good idea to closely inspect all the capacitors on the board. If any show domed tops, excessive leaning or rising above the board surface, they could be bad! More info about "bad caps" at www.badcaps.net/ .
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aerion » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:25 am

I've taken the CPU and memory from my wife's computer and put them in the new MB. Problem still existed. I also sent an email to an Asus CSR and the response blames the PSU. So I've ordered a 950W PSU. We'll see if that solves the problem.
Aerion
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Aerion » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:31 pm

New 950W PSU received and installed. Problem solved.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and a special thanks to those who suggested it was the PSU.
Aerion
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:05 pm

Power supplies over time deteriorate and as a result can deliver less power. With only 60W to spare between the recommendation and the absolute maximum capacity when NEW this was an accident waiting to happen. Glad you got it solved.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Tech Support