Abit KG7-RAID help - cannot boot

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

SKiNFreak
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Abit KG7-RAID help - cannot boot

Post by SKiNFreak »

Hi!

I got an Abit KG7-RAID mobo for my dad as an upgrade with an Athlon XP 1700+ and 256mbPC2100 DDR. I've got a new case and installed everything. Time to powr on and I get a message that says the DDR slots are backwards and memory must be installed in DDR4 to DDR1 respectively. OK...so I swap the DDR to slot 4 and then I get nothing on screen. Reboot, clear CMOS...and still nothing. This has happened twice but I cannot get anything on the screen at all, even when I put the DDR back in slot 4. All I have installed is a Radeon 7000 (I have used a differnet card with the same problem) and nothing else.

Anyone know what this problem could be?

Help would be fantastic!!!

Thanks

Skinfreak
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Mr T »

First off clear the CMOS (see MOBO manual), if that fails then it looks like you have an incompatible brand of RAM (what brand is it?).
SKiNFreak
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by SKiNFreak »

I'm using TwinMos CAS2 PC2100 DDR memory..... The DIMMs have been reliable for well over a year now and I had no trouble with my other mobos. As far as clearing CMOS...I've done it 10 times, still no difference.

SF
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by tonycarr »

Memory should be in slot farthest from the cpu and farthest from the AGP card , ( that's how I remember it , don't have to worry about slot #'s ) .
If that memory is known to be good ... then move on in troubleshooting .
Most of the KG-7 mobo's Ive seen sell discounted had the old bio's in them , ( prior to 12 Oct 2001 ) . The KG-7 was NOT originally made to support the AMD Athlon XP processor . Beginning with the bios 5E Athlon XP's will boot up on this mobo . So if you have never booted up with an Athlon XP before , I would suggest trying a a Duron or non xp Athlon ( older processors ) , once you get booted up you can upgrade the bios to a newer version to support Athlon XP's .
I would also suggest once you're in the bios setup , disable the cpu protection as this can cause the mobo to shutoff right @ start up .
Good luck , the KG-7 is a "picky" but very fast mobo once you get it going and very upgradeable .
Last edited by tonycarr on Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=red]E Pluribus[/color] [color=blue] Unum[/color]
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by ajrox »

it definatly sounds like a memory issue to me. install a different brand and see what happens...crucial or samsung are pretty good.
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
SKiNFreak
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by SKiNFreak »

Would chucking in some Samsung 2700 memory work? I've got a 512mb stick of that. I'll download the bios first though....

SF
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

I have read that ....

Post by tonycarr »

You should use registered memory in this mobo BUT I have a stick of pc2100 512MB unregistered Kingston in the last slot ( farthest from cpu ) and no problems ever from intial install , with memory .
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

A great source for the KG7 raid ....

Post by tonycarr »

http://www.sudhian.com/faqs.cfm/fid/4.sud
This site helped me Very much .
Good luck .
SKiNFreak
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by SKiNFreak »

I've read that site. Tried it all. In fact, some of the info is too out of date for this mobo. I've tried adding my memory to it, but still, there is no change. The first time the screen worked, it told me that the DDR was in the wrong slot, and that it should be in the slot furthest away from the CPU. But even if I keep it in the wrong slot, the mobo doesn't boot enough to recreate the error message. The problem lies with the mobo, not the components.

Tried: 2 different memory types
2 Different AGP cards (no PCI to hand till Monday)
2 different cases
No other cards in the system.
CMOS clear before each boot

None of the things I've tried work.
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by tonycarr »

I guess if the bios did not support the cpu it would not even post ...?
I just built a system with this mobo , front of Abit KG-7 raid box read , " Athlon XP ready " .
------------------
Abit KG-7 raid , AMD Athlon XP 1700 , ATI radeon 7500 64M ddr , 512 MB pc2100 Kingston , Allied switching dual fan 400 watt pwr supply , WD 40 gig 7200 rpm hdd , Pine 6 channel sound card , D-Link dfe-530tx nic , win XP home ed .
----------------------------
Good luck , keep searching , the answer is out there somewhere ? .......