The Mother Board
GTX 295 setup?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboards.org Folding Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: GTX 295 setup? Reply with quote

Has anybody got folding running on a dual GPU setup in windows with the v7 client.

I've been finding it very difficult getting folding to work on GTX295 (single board). With the default setup it runs two GPU slots with TPF of 2hrs, GPU core useages of ~35% and computer is unusable when crunching like this. If I just run a single GPU slot then I get TPF of 40 seconds for project 5768 with GPU core useage of ~99% uses both GPU ram on ~70%.

I tried setting GPU index to 0 and 1 respectively, same thing.
Tried above and openGL/CUDA index set to 0 and 1 respectively, same thing. Sometimes it just reverts back to -1 by itself anyway! Doesn't like me setting GPU index to 2 (which is what CPU-Z says it is).

I'm even struggling to work out what my CUDA and GPU index's are they are reported differently in CPU-Z GPU-Z and CUDA-Z. I have onboard graphics too.

Furthermore, FAH Control shows Base credit, estimated credit etc as 'Unknown' for the GPU slots, is this normal, or should it be providing values like the CPU client does.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah after an hour of faff and writing that I think I've solved it now - trick is to use onboard graphics to drive the monitor and not the GTX - Doh callsign
Should break my PB for PPD over the next 24hrs if the computer doesn't overheat or explode - GPUs must be kicking out 300W right now mb_FireDevil:
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only certain video cards are favored for the GPU F@H process. Mainly, the ATI versions. Allow the F@H program to set itself up.. but don't go 'max' on the folding limit. Stay at maybe 90% of max. Ensure the latest video driver program is installed.
The F@H program awards maximum points for the shortest return time.. and lesser points up to the 'expiration' date. But to get the optimal return time, you have to run 24/7 with minimal side activity on a computer! I run my system maybe 14 hours per day, shutting down at bed time.
Did run two F@H processes some months back, but units are no longer available for the older programs. So running the latest client as one process.
Do manage to average about 200 ppd with a P4 2.8 Prescott on an ASRock Conroe 865PE, will consider an upgrade next April when XP is totally 'orphaned'.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karlsweldt, it is good to see you are still folding, I admire your dedication.

The GTX295 is supposed to be quite powerful despite it being an older card. I've read some reports of people getting over 18k ppd with them but I don't appear to be even close to that even though I am running 24hrs. I am not overclocking.

There does not appear to be an option to throttle GPU folding, it is either all or nothing. This is a pity because above 90% on each GPU it sounds like the current going through the coils is causing enough force to vibrate the wires! So I worry about mechanical destruction of my coils if I keep doing GPU crunching long term.

I just rebooted my system Iafter shutting down F@H first, and inexplicably my CPU slot and work folder were erased which lost me 6000 points which is very frustrating.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered slipping a core2 into your computer, there are loads of 65W core2's that sell for peanuts. If I remember correctly Prescott were hot even by P4 standards so you would probably get the money back on electricity savings alone.

I just sold a X3210 that only got 20 on ebay; Hmm actually that is quite a hot CPU but also about a year ago I sold an E2140 (Which ran rock stable at 3Ghz) for 15.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His board is not supported under Vista/XP and even though you can find generic drivers elsewhere, there's always the odd chance something simply doesn't work/isn't stable and then you don't have anyone to ask support from. I can perfectly understand his thinking.

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat is a major enemy of electronics. The CPU of any modern computer has thermal sensors that will either throttle back or shut down the data flow if temps get too high. Even going to the extreme of shutting down the system! Many high-end video cards also have GPU thermal sensors that throttle back or suspend activities.
About 75% of input current to a computer system is wasted as heat. That heat must be disposed of, to keep the system optimally active. Small fans do work well, but their design and placement allow unwanted warm air to be recirculated causing higher temperatures. A case fan blowing toward the CPU and GPU will help disperse that unwanted heat. The desired ratio of air flow in a case is 1.5:1, more air incoming than exhaust. The PSU is a major heat source also, and needs a lot of cooling air.

Background programs also take away CPU cycles needed for data sorting and routing. Unneeded programming running in the background can waste CPU cycles. End those 'finder', 'update' or "IM" programs. They will still be available when needed. Run a 'lean' system, get better performance. But never terminate your antivirus or firewall programs! The OS update program should also be always active, but you choose when to install those updates.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand running unsupported drivers can be a big hassle - I've been there before.
My suggestion was to put few bids on ebay and win core2 less than $5 incl postage (I'm seeing E6300/E6320 selling for less than this), no software/driver changes required unless I am missing something?, runs about 2/3rds the power/heat of a prescott plus would crunch through the same number of WU's on 7hrs a day rather than 14hrs a day so would pay for itself in a week or two. The performance increase could also make the computer nicer to use. It was just an idea, I'm not trying to criticise what you do with the computer - your computer = your rules big grin
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree heat is the enemy. Hopefully I don't have a problem with overheat. I generally tend to put a lot of thought into my cooling and go over the top with it too. My full load max temps are 52C CPU and 48C GPU. GPU is better than I expected (it is a 290W TDP card) I am a bit unhappy about my CPU temp though, I am going to reseat the CPU block to see if that improves things.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those temps on your system are good. Redoing the CPU heat sink thermal paste is not a big job. But like any fluidic material, it will dry out over time.. and with heat. But that specific task requires the exact (minimal) amount of thermal paste. Too much is worse than not enough!
Although the surfaces appear mirror-smooth, tiny microscopic pores in the surface prevent a 100% contact patch. So thermal paste is required, or a thermal pad.
A multi-core CPU may draw more power than a single-core (Prescott) type processor. But the multi-core types are designed to utilize only the sectors required at any time. The "unused" cores will throttle back to an idle state until needed, thus likely being less power-hungry.
Although the GPU does the rendering of any video or F@H process data, it still is the base task of the CPU to dissect the data streams and route them to the proper features.
Routing through motherboard circuits adds delay time to the equation. The gaming consoles have the GPU and CPU in one central die configuration.. so are somewhat faster in data rendering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboards.org Folding Team All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: