About ASUS motherboard

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

About ASUS motherboard

Postby satimis » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi all,

Motherboard
===========
ASUS M5A97 Pro seems going to phase out. Now "ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AMD 970,DDR3,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s,ATX M/B" is on the market.

1)
What will be the difference in performance for working with;

CPU - AMD 8-Core FX-8150 3.6GHz/16M
RAM - Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 DDR3 1600MHz 32GB Kit (4x8GB)

2)
What is the difference in performance between;
ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X,DDR3,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s,ATX M/B

and;
ASUS M5A97 R2.0
ASUS M5A97 Pro

ASUS M5A99X EVO
is approx 50% more expensive

TIA

B.R.
satimis
satimis
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:12 pm

The 970's have the AMD 970 chipset, which is good but supports cross fire only... The 990 chipset supports SLi or Crossfire... All this dependent if you wish to run two video cards or more... I am running the M5A99X EVO and it is a good board apart from ASUS's insistence on using their ASMedia USB3 controller - its poor... If you want an ASUS board buy a USB 3 add on card that has the vastly superior NEC controller... But all in all good boards...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby satimis » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Mr T wrote:The 970's have the AMD 970 chipset, which is good but supports cross fire only... The 990 chipset supports SLi or Crossfire... All this dependent if you wish to run two video cards or more...

I don't game. What will be the use of dual/multiple video cards? To my understanding for dual video card and dual display I can run 2 window frames simultaneously, one on each display. Or split one window into 2 halves, one on each display. I only heard that before but never run it. Then what will be the use of multiple video cards?

I am running the M5A99X EVO and it is a good board apart from ASUS's insistence on using their ASMedia USB3 controller - its poor... If you want an ASUS board buy a USB 3 add on card that has the vastly superior NEC controller... But all in all good boards...

What will be the use of adding an USB 3 add on card?

I'll run the new box as headless server testing clouds. For convenience I'll add an old video card just in case. Only 2D will be run with Linux as OS.

B.R.
satimis
satimis
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bdub » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:06 pm

satimis wrote:Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Mr T wrote:The 970's have the AMD 970 chipset, which is good but supports cross fire only... The 990 chipset supports SLi or Crossfire... All this dependent if you wish to run two video cards or more...

I don't game. What will be the use of dual/multiple video cards? To my understanding for dual video card and dual display I can run 2 window frames simultaneously, one on each display. Or split one window into 2 halves, one on each display. I only heard that before but never run it. Then what will be the use of multiple video cards?

I am running the M5A99X EVO and it is a good board apart from ASUS's insistence on using their ASMedia USB3 controller - its poor... If you want an ASUS board buy a USB 3 add on card that has the vastly superior NEC controller... But all in all good boards...

What will be the use of adding an USB 3 add on card?

I'll run the new box as headless server testing clouds. For convenience I'll add an old video card just in case. Only 2D will be run with Linux as OS.

B.R.
satimis

running up to three displays on one videocard is do-able (with most modern vidcards.)... no need for multiple card setup unless you want to game, or do heavy gpu processing.

the only thing usb card will bring you is a really fast connection to usb3 devices. if not worried about that, no need.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:37 am

A video card processor is nowhere as fast as a CPU. Highest core speed is less than 1 GHz. And one video card can render only one image stream.. unless the refresh rate of two streams are time-shared, at half a desired refresh rate!
Two video card share the data stream, and result in faster rendering and refresh/frame rates. Plus, two video cards can provide two separate video streams with optimal performance. Some server setups have more than two video cards.
Some interesting reading in this EZINEARTICLES link.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:32 pm

A board like this would be more suitable. It is aimed more at the workstation (reliability) rather than the boards you are looking at which are aimed more at the overclocker/gamer. It supports your chosen CPU and RAM.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to General