v2dp mobo

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

v2dp mobo

Postby Michaeljay2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:27 pm

This mobo has a weird problem, it won't load the unichrome video drivers I obtained from the manufactures site, it loads all the other drivers with no problem. Would this indicate that the mobo is bad? it's running an amd2200 processer with 2 gigs of mem and the bios information is 11-23-2004-km266pro-8235-km400/km266pro phoenix-award bios v 6.00pg.
Does anyone have any input to this problem?
Michaeljay2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:38 pm

What OS version are you using? And are the drivers signed digitally in accordance with the OS provider's agreement? Drivers for the latest OS versions of Windows must meet the WHQL vendor list of product quality.. or they may be rejected. And certain driver types cause interference with other programs.
If the OS has installed its own set of drivers for a device, they may be appropriate.. but not exact for best performance. If the OS balks at the install, then insist (force) the OS to accept them.
If a previous video device is similar (chipset wise) to a new video device, then the old drivers must be uninstalled and the device removed from the hardware lineup. Shut down, remove or disable the old device and install the new device.. then boot up with the driver disk available in a drive unit. The OS should do a search for "new" features and drivers automatically.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Check for leaking or bulging capacitors. Motherboards from that era are really prone to them. If it is an old PSU, get a torch and check that out too..

Check http://www.badcaps.net/ out...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Michaeljay2 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:12 am

I'm using XP Pro and windows installed a generic driver. The downloaded files from the manufacture installed with no problem and were diglitly signed. The file name of the problem file is Prosavage DDR_wxp_139433. When I run setup it starts up fine then says it can't complete the install. From device manager's update driver or add device it comes up with an not compatilble error. There were a few poped electroletic caps and they were replaced with the same value uf at a higher volts.
I am an electronic tech but old school and have been building/repairing and setting up computers since the day's of the 8088 cpu's.
Michaeljay2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby kokalo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:12 am

What has me confused is the string in the filename... wxp is obvious and 1394 stinks like FireWire err.... IEEE1394 - is it using the wrong file or is the filename just a coincidence....

If it wasn't a UniChrome I'd suggest throw Linux at it, even just a live distro, but with spotty support for UC graphics that may turn out inconclusive...

On the other hand, chipset is old enough that W7 or even Vista should have basic drivers for it, maybe try that, throw in a blank drive and load a trial... If W7 spits the dummy at it, I think you can safely stop wasting time and replace the board.
ImageImage

P3! (No, not PIII)
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:56 am

Jetway board:
http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/motherboard ... oname=V2DP

Drivers specific for this board:
http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/motherboard ... oname=V2DP

Replace with low-ESR caps please, otherwise the cure is worse than the problem...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Michaeljay2 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 am

I tried the jetway site, downloaded the video driver and came up with the same error cannot complete the install. setup only starts up, it doesn't even begin the real install and the replacment caps I use are from other bad mobos with good caps. I have several dozen around and I guess I will have to add another. lol
Michaeljay2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bdub » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:39 am

cheap agp or pci card to run the graphics could work, and then see if you can turn onboard graphics off in bios.
as i recall, those old onboard chips from that era can't drive widescreen monitors at proper resolutions anyhow.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 pm

Michaeljay2 wrote:I tried the jetway site, downloaded the video driver and came up with the same error cannot complete the install. setup only starts up, it doesn't even begin the real install and the replacment caps I use are from other bad mobos with good caps. I have several dozen around and I guess I will have to add another. lol

When recapping a board, recap ALL of the caps because bad brand = bad brand, no exceptions there, even if they are not doming/bulging yet, rest assured their ESR is skyhigh already and the voltage will be rippling like crazy...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:50 am

Have recapped several motherboards, all but one with success. And some video cards plus a PSU or two thrown in for 'flavor'.
Even if the capacitor shows no external signs, such as domed top or lifting off the board, internally it may be bad. Only the low ESR type capacitors should be used.. they have less internal Equivalent Series Resistance, and thus are favored for sensitive circuitry. The rating as to Micro Farads must be identical, as well as the voltage rating. Never use a lower voltage capacitor, but a higher voltage capacitor is sometimes acceptable. The preferred temperature rating for computer use is 105° C. A lower temperature rating could mean a premature failure. Certain brands are well known to have been "born bad", as noted in the thread about "Bad, Bad Capacitors" here on the Forum.
Sometimes, a capacitor may go for years with no problem, then suddenly go DOA. Heat is a major enemy of capacitors.
Some capacitors are intended to filter out the ripple or AC factor of DC power supplies.. others are intended to keep separate the DC voltages between circuits, yet pass the AC pulses.
An AC capacitor is merely two DC capacitors, connected in reverse serial fashion ( negative lead to negative lead, the positive leads brought out for connection).
The modern "dry" capacitor is now used all across the industries. No more "wet" capacitors, as years ago. Thankfully, they have gone out of favor. Not good to smell an acidic odor coming from a device as the capacitor's electrolyte boils off!!!

Sorry for the ramble. :oops:
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support