Intel DP35DP front USB

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Intel DP35DP front USB

Postby trikolad » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:05 am

Hi,

I have four front USB on my case. each pair sends a cable to the motherboard.
I replaced this bus cable and connected as described in the dp35dp manual
there are three usb connections on the board and I connected carefully according to the key pin (the only no pin).
All four usb work seperatly but only one at a time.

solutions?
trikolad
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:07 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
There is a 'standard' for USB connections.. as noted in this link.. http://pinouts.ws/usb-pinout.html
But some manufacturers still do not adhere to the designated wire color, although the wire function is following the standard.
Most headers are 10 pin type, with one pin missing as a 'key'. The owner's manual for your motherboard should have a diagram of how the pins are configured. Typically only two schemes.. parallel or opposing. But if in doubt about the pin function, remove power from the system.. and use a digital ohmmeter to check which pins are "ground" polarity, to a bare chassis point. Should be a near-zero reading.
For dual headers, you need only one shield connection, but the two "ground" or "return" leads are important.
If you have problems with only one USB port working at a time, check the BIOS pages for USB settings.. and ensure the correct driver is installed. The driver disk that came with the motherboard has the proper drivers. Again, consult the owner's manual.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:44 am

What kind of devices r U connecting to the front USB ports?
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:33 pm

rascard2007 wrote:What kind of devices r U connecting to the front USB ports?

Good question!!
Two USB ports are served by one USB controller.. and maximum current per port is 1/2 amp, or 500 ma. If the controller senses maximum load on one port, it could deactivate the other port to prevent damage.. or loss of function. A mouse and keyboard on one USB controller should not overload the power source for it. But one external hard drive would be the limit for a USB port controller! Use a USB hub that has its own power, for using current-hungry devices. And never, ever, use those "gadgets" that warm your coffee, provide a light, or charge devices from a computer USB port!!!! Get a separate AC outlet power device, which can provide 2 amps or more to each of up to six USB charging ports.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support