What Information Should I post?

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Frozti » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:11 am

evasive wrote:try us with that "FFFFF-FFFFF-FFFFF-FFFFF or something, but that is all" string.
And post a picture of the board itself + a detail picture of the barcoded sticker. The reason for that being: if it has a serial number in there and it is an actual genuine Intel board, there's a 2-letter code in there that might give away the board name. At least, that is what they have been doing the last odd 15 years or so...

i dont think it even has a sticker with bar code/sn number. I will get around to taking the picture sometime. When I start the computer it comes up with a 2 digit number in the bottom right that changes. it starts with i believe 94 then changes to eb or something and goes so fast after that I cant remember it. I did take a video, I am going to play it in slow motion and get that code.
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:14 am

If those characters appear in the lower right corner, then most likely they are POST code numbers. Not unusual for the display, but typically hidden. The BIOS ID string would be in the lower left corner of the screen.
A small program such as CPU Z would provide some info about the motherboard, chipset family and other features.
Free at http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html .
For more detailed info, try the diagnostics program Aida 64 from http://www.lavalys.com/ which is available in a free trial version. The full program is not that expensive, and can be a very useful diagnostics tool.
There are other diagnostics programs, such as Belarc Advisor and SiSoft Sandra. The better the program, the more info displayed about the system configuration and operation.. including memory module IDs and graphics capability plus system temps.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... ndra.shtml
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Frozti » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 am

would those numbers be helpful at all? there are no digits in the lower left.. I tried cpu-z a long time ago, that is how I knew I had a core 2 quad, windows was telling me it was some single cpu... I looked on wikipedia and found a list of intel bearlake mobos

Intel G31, G33, G35, P31, P35, Q33, Q35, X38, and X48 Express chipsets, some with integrated graphics, some without. For use with the Pentium Dual-Core, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, and Core 2 Extreme CPUs. Successor to the 965 (Broadwater) series.[2]

I looked up a picture of every one, none of them were mine :/ Before I got windows seven, I couldnt get drivers for onboard sound and had trouble with the network chip thing. Windows seven got the drivers for them easy. Maybe now the intel driver detector will work to? Will it give me the option for a BIOS update? Should I try it before I rip my computer apart for a pic of the motherboard?
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:15 pm

CPU-Z should give the motherboard brand/model type, processor type, chipset type and BIOS date.. from the 'mainboard' tab. The other programs will also display the BIOS string. Not unusual, if the Stason site does not have an image of your specific board.. if it were a prototype or limited-run model.
If you do not note that BIOS ID string in the lower left corner of the first video screen, it may be suppressed.. or not registered. Some brands suppress any first video info screens to avoid having users ask questions about "what does that mean"? Instead, they may simply show a logo screen until the POST process has finished.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 am

When you power on a computer with an Intel® Desktop Board, the BIOS identification string is near the top left corner of the screen. If your computer displays the Intel® logo screen during system boot, you can bypass this screen by pressing the "Esc" key. This action allows the display of the BIOS code.

Recent desktop boards manufactured by Intel use an Intel/AMI (American Megatrends) BIOS core. When another manufacturing company name displays in the BIOS area, contact that manufacturer for support questions.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... 030327.htm
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Frozti » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:CPU-Z should give the motherboard brand/model type, processor type, chipset type and BIOS date.. from the 'mainboard' tab. The other programs will also display the BIOS string. Not unusual, if the Stason site does not have an image of your specific board.. if it were a prototype or limited-run model.
If you do not note that BIOS ID string in the lower left corner of the first video screen, it may be suppressed.. or not registered. Some brands suppress any first video info screens to avoid having users ask questions about "what does that mean"? Instead, they may simply show a logo screen until the POST process has finished.

here are the pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/71163096@N04/
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:50 am

Well you've got an Intel board.
Bear Lake is a code name for a chipset.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P35
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:02 am

I don't think its a production board. It says 'Not FCC Approved' and you've got tactile surface mount push buttons for Power and Resetting the board.
Someone also scribbled on your processor and the SATA connectors are not aligned.

You won't get in trouble for using it. But I doubt you'll be able to find proper drivers or support anywhere.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:52 am

Its a BTX motherboard, so you will need a (rare) BTX case. They nearly all went to DELL who took the BTX thing from Intel to heart, whereas ATX remained the most popular layout and ultimately killed it off. Just a matter of finding what system it was removed from..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Frozti » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Mr T wrote:Its a BTX motherboard, so you will need a (rare) BTX case. They nearly all went to DELL who took the BTX thing from Intel to heart, whereas ATX remained the most popular layout and ultimately killed it off. Just a matter of finding what system it was removed from..

i dont need a case, i need a bios update... worked fine with xp but i get bsod on win 7 all the time... does this mean i have yo go back to xp for steady performance? :( maybe i could sit outside of intel hq and ask someone to let me borrow their hdd haha
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum