The Mother Board
What Information Should I post?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboard Identification Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: What Information Should I post? Reply with quote

I have a mystery mobo, i got it from a friend who got it from his uncle that he doesnt talk to so i cant ask him. cant find a model on it, its a bearlake mobo but intel software cant even figure out what it is. So for my next post, i need all the possible info that i could post to help you guys figure it out, I mean everything, cuz some stuff doesnt show up in the bios. ill try to get a good pic but taking it out of the case is kinda a pain.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
The first video screen you see will have a string of characters in the lower left corner. This is the BIOS ID string, a positive ID. That can easily be searched on Google.
As to posting info: Board size (standard ATX, micro ATX, AT, BTX type (noted in inches or mm).. type of adapter slots, CPU socket type.. and power connector. Plus chipset brand names. This will narrow down the possible field. If possible, a crisp photo of the board is an ideal subject.
You would need a hosting service to provide a photo, or PM a Moderator about a photo to post.
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karlsweldt wrote:
Welcome to Motherboards.org.
The first video screen you see will have a string of characters in the lower left corner. This is the BIOS ID string, a positive ID. That can easily be searched on Google.
As to posting info: Board size (standard ATX, micro ATX, AT, BTX type (noted in inches or mm).. type of adapter slots, CPU socket type.. and power connector. Plus chipset brand names. This will narrow down the possible field. If possible, a crisp photo of the board is an ideal subject.
You would need a hosting service to provide a photo, or PM a Moderator about a photo to post.

cool, i will try to put a new thread up tonight, if i do i will put a link in this one. thanks lachen
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozti wrote:
cool, i will try to put a new thread up tonight, if i do i will put a link in this one. thanks lachen

Try to keep a topic contained in one thread.. multiple duplicated threads are frowned on, as is double-posting. Almost all Forums have this rule.
Keeping all info and 'chat' in one thread is the proper protocol.
The Web site http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/index.html has a very large library of motherboard diagrams, plus pinouts, power connections, etc. pertaining to computing.. plus many other interesting topics.
Browse the motherboard library, you may find the exact model.. and specs!
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karlsweldt wrote:
Frozti wrote:

Try to keep a topic contained in one thread.. multiple duplicated threads are frowned on, as is double-posting. Almost all Forums have this rule.
Keeping all info and 'chat' in one thread is the proper protocol.
The Web site http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/index.html has a very large library of motherboard diagrams, plus pinouts, power connections, etc. pertaining to computing.. plus many other interesting topics.
Browse the motherboard library, you may find the exact model.. and specs!

what if i delete the thread? i feel like your the only one that will see these posts now... and i have looked plenty but i will keep looking, sorry i didnt get a chance to get that picture, ill try and get to it tonight. the wierd thing about my motherboard is that it is bearlake, which i thought was gaming mobo. but the pci express slots and pci are on the top, not the bottom, so to fit it in my case, i had to take the bracket off and make my own.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only delete certain threads in certain topic entries. Leave deletion to a Moderator.. ask first. As to "views" of your thread, a counter has already gone to 40 views.
The last few days before a major holiday are likely to leave little time for people to 'normally' respond to posts. But there are many professional computer people here on the Forum, and almost all of us has worked with motherboards for many, many years.
I date myself ( oops ) to more than 30 years of working with or on computers!!
Back in the early 1980s, a "fast" computer was running around 4 Mhz.. unless you had the NEC V20 XT processor that ran at a ridiculous 15 Mhz!!! No Windows programs back then.. every function required a manual keyboard command. And as to video, a 4-color CGA monitor was the best available. Yes, 'modern' processors were being developed then.. the 80286, which could run around 16 Mhz and had a BIOS feature.. then the 80386, which could get up to 33 Mhz. Most older systems maxed out at 1 meg of memory!!

When taking a photo of a motherboard, use the 'macro' mode (flower symbol) for close-in sharp images. Use lighting from the sides, to eliminate glare and harshness. A nominal image size could be around 500K to 1 meg, and not be overly large for posting.

Look through that link I noted.. should be something either exact or very close to what you have.. for reference.
We are here to help with almost all computer problems and IDs. But avoid the PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard) syndrome! wink
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, 4mhz?? that is so crazy to think that my processor is pretty out dated and its quad core at 2.83ghz!!!

ok so im not back with a picture but here is some info. when i turn the computer on, it comes up with this exact screen

http://bcchardware.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=32036

besides the word beta. it does say "for evaluation use only" and everything else looks the same. also, there is no bios string. and when i go into the bios and go to the thing with all the information, there is nothing there. one serial number just says something like FFFFF-FFFFF-FFFFF-FFFFF or something, but that is all. strange.. very strange... ill try and find the time to get those pictures soon, but as you can see i am quite the procrastinator.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
..besides the word beta, it does say "for evaluation use only"

Possible you have a 'prototype' motherboard, one which was not intended for retail sale. Or just the BIOS program is a Beta version.
The string of characters you note in the lower left corner of the first video screen is the BIOS ID string.. a positive ID of its nature. You can Google that string, and find its heritage.. mostly in the form of chipset ID, manufacturer and date of inception.
As to possibly being a 'prototype', perhaps a BIOS update would clear issues. But first trace its history. As noted, it may not have been intended for distribution to the public. Those boards usually get scrapped or flashed with a conventional BIOS program.
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya since the chips say the word "secret" there is sharpie writing on the processor rather than text and the intel driver software couldnt figure out what it is, my dad thought the same thing... am i in trouble? i mean, its going to good use and its to late to be of use to other companies...

and the two digit code, i can look that up? it changes in a sequence, idk if ill be able to remember it... i need a bios update because the computer is very glitchy with windows 7. random bluescreens, no games work(installed all appropriate prerequisites), flash crashes randomly etc.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try us with that "FFFFF-FFFFF-FFFFF-FFFFF or something, but that is all" string.
And post a picture of the board itself + a detail picture of the barcoded sticker. The reason for that being: if it has a serial number in there and it is an actual genuine Intel board, there's a 2-letter code in there that might give away the board name. At least, that is what they have been doing the last odd 15 years or so...

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboard Identification Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: