Zone Alarm 2013 Pop-Ups

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Zone Alarm 2013 Pop-Ups

Postby Spark » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:56 am

This concerns my XP Pro SP3 lappy running Zone Alarm 2013 (free). In the past I ran an older version of Zone Alarm (free) but then switched to MS firewall. Then after a long time I recently started using Zone Alarm 2013 (free). I am getting annoying zone alarm pop-up warnings at the System Tray one of which is "TODO" This warning has to do with my Lappy's Compal Green Charger battery monitor.

I am getting the drift that Check Point is telling me in an indirect way to upgrade to the pay version of Zone Alarm Pro?

I know the pay versions of many utilities do more, you get what you pay for so to speak.

I am wondering if I sould revert back to an older version on Zone Alarm Free or just delete this utility all together and use Windows Fire Wall which I have caught a couple of viruses in the past with and never when using Zone Alarm free.
Spark
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:42 am

Haven't used Zone Alarm but it wouldn't surprise me of they push for the paid version in some way.
I use AVG on the personal XP laptop that I barely use and it seems fine.

Between AVG and Malwarebytes, there isn't much more you can do to be safe online.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Spark » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:Haven't used Zone Alarm but it wouldn't surprise me of they push for the paid version in some way.
I use AVG on the personal XP laptop that I barely use and it seems fine.

Between AVG and Malwarebytes, there isn't much more you can do to be safe online.

Well, after using Zone Alarm (free) for a few days I have finally determined that it is one annoying utility, and I don't care how good it may be. I'm going to revert back to MS,s firewall unless I can come up with something else. Already using AVG, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Super Anti Spyware and Spyware Blaster. Don't even say it, I know I seem to be paranoid with this over kill of utilities, but reloading the O.S. of this custom built PC like I have takes a little more doing than if I had a restore disk.

Never had a virus until I used MS's Firewall.

What other utility is good as a firewall, since I am on a wireless home network, where the router has a strong security setting and is locked down.

Thanks.........
Spark
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Haven't looked for reviews in 6 months but I heard Comodo was good.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:59 am

"Freeware" doesn't pay company bills.. or create profit. So naturally, there may be a "buy me" ad now and then. But from this link to Softpedia.com there was a huge cry of 'foul' about those ads warning of infections or other problems.. so the ads were pulled.
With any software setup for security, ensure that similar programs don't buck for priority.. or there will be true warnings. Compatibility is key. Best to have only one primary program that "does all". Ancillary programs that do scans on demand are less intrusive than those that are always active.
My AVG Security Suite for three active systems costs less than $60.00 USD per year!
Here is a Top Ten Review of security software offerings.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby TriAngle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:58 pm

I used COMODO Internet Security Premium (the Free version) for years on numerous PCs w/o any problems.
Yes, you do get pop-up about upgrading to the paid version, so just X out of the offer. Other than that, everything worked perfectly.

But, recently it popped-up an upgrade ad stating "$12.00 for 3 PCs for 1 Year", so, I purchased the Pro version.
Haven't had any issues with Pro or Premium versions.

I used ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite (retail) for many years also on other personal PCs, w/o any problems.

So, I guess you get what you pay for.
I'd rather pay a nominal fee for the extra security, than "hope" that the "free" versions are doing their jobs 100% of the time.
Good luck.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security