windows 8 and WEP

Moderator: The Mod Squad

windows 8 and WEP

Postby Roach412 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 am

has anyone run into windows 8 on a WEP network? my mom bought a new laptop (with win8 obviously) and can't connect to her network - which is obviously running WEP.

they have an older TiVo box that i couldn't get connected to anything other than WEP...so, WPA/WPA2 was out of the question then.

i'm hoping TiVo has a firmware update that could be done on the old box to get it up-to-date with encryption, but i'm very doubtful on that. otherwise, i was considering adding a second wireless router to the mix for the windows 8 machine, and join the networks together...not really looking to do that if i don't have to.

anyone worked around the issue? seems there are a number of others that have the similar problem - since i've only used it at work, i haven't run into any networking issue with win8, so i'm a little in the dark.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 am

This Microsoft Q&A link may help.
With wired or wireless connections, you have to 'fully trust' the IP address of that device or entity to your system. Also, check your firewall settings to note if that IP address is indeed trusted.
Windows 8 and the new system are using USB 3.0 or the latest WiFi standards, and they are backward compatible to older devices.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 am

Windows 8 doesn't support WEP with a shared key.

Microsoft wrote:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ss-network

There are two kinds of WEP: open system authentication and shared key authentication. Neither is very secure, but shared key authentication is the least secure of the two. For most wireless computers and wireless access points, the shared key authentication key is the same as the static WEP encryption key—the key that you use to secure your network. A malicious user who captures the messages for a successful shared key authentication can use analysis tools to determine the shared key authentication key, and then determine the static WEP encryption key. After the WEP encryption key has been determined, the malicious user has full access to your network. For this reason, this version of Windows doesn’t support automatically setting up a network using WEP shared key authentication.

If there is a vendor specific program available, then I would use that (ex: Dlink wifi cards use DLINK software to connect).

Otherwise switch your authentication for the wifi network from 'shared' to 'open'.

Either that or your buying a separate wifi card, downgrading or replacing some hardware.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking