Hurricane/Tropical Storm "Sandy"..

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Hurricane/Tropical Storm "Sandy"..

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:59 am

Most of the Eastern U.S. members here are aware of the hurricane/tropical storm called Sandy which is now threatening the major metro Eastern coast of the U.S. In core strength, it is not too powerful.. but its expanse is quite huge.. with forecasts of rainfall exceeding 10 inches in some areas! The New York City transit facilities (subways, surface trains, buses) are being shut down by Sunday evening, and a mandatory evacuation of "zone A" (flood prone) residents is in effect. This will affect over 300,000 people.
The weather experts at the Weather Channel [ www.weather.com/ ] and National Hurricane Center [ www.nhc.noaa.gov ] are noting that this storm is not atypical of similar storm behavior for this instance, and may be a "worst in a century" storm!
Be prepared, in the final hours.. have flashlights with batteries, canned food, extra water, and meds in ready. If anyone needs a generator, be warned that they MUST NOT be operated in closed areas.. or you may not be alive after the storm, due to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning!!! Same for any barbeque grills that use charcoal. Outdoor use only, in well-ventilated areas.
And a common-sense thought.. if you really have to travel, remember that some roads may be flooded enough to float your car off into a ravine!
"Turn around, don't drown" is good advice.
Follow Sandy the "Frankenstorm" live from Weather.com.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:31 am

So.. Lost power Monday afternoon Oct. 29, still no power.. but nice to have telephone and DSL service back! The local Telco station (switching center) has battery backup for maybe 48 hours max.. but no generator backup. And there were so many trees down that took wires with them, the area for miles about was like a 'war zone'! More than 5 million people in several states were out of power from that "Frankenstorm" Sandy.. and most had gotten back to normal. But with this Nor'easter that hit yesterday, more damage was done. Insult added to injury!
I may not have normal power back until perhaps Sunday the 11th.. but I do have a generator running most of each day, so I have water, lights and heat. But it uses around 5 gallons of gas each day!!
I do feel sorry for all those who lost homes.. due to storm surges, and for those who lost their loved ones.

I must add a special "THANK YOU" to all those people from power companies across the U.S.A. that came to our aid, and other emergency workers. Bless you!!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 am

some of our power guys headed out east:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/ ... 78401.html

at least you have generators...(and internet! :lol: )

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Roach412 wrote:some of our power guys headed out east:
-Roach

Yes, crews from power companies in many states came to assist in the restoration! Sort of a "brotherhood" among power and utility companies, that they help each other during emergencies or tragedies such as hurricanes and tornadoes. My area is served by a sub-division of First Energy, a multi-state organization.

Miraculously, my mains power was restored around 6:30 pm the 8th!! :D
JCP&L put in two new poles, a new line transformer, and rewired the mains. Still, there are many hundreds of minor outages that may not be fixed until Monday the 12th!! Long Island, New York, still has the most repair work to be done. People are quite upset with the progress, but the damage was extreme.. and power companies have to almost totally rebuild the network!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Water Cooler