Windows XP Auto Logoff

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP Auto Logoff

Postby wolfman_666 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:17 am

Hi all,

I'm having a issues with one of my PCs. It seems it logs off at 5pm everyday no matter what, even if ur using the computer it will stop you and log off. Here are some specs that may help and what i've done to try to solve to issue.

Windows XP Pro.
Admin profile.

Screen Saver is disabled
Power Saver is set for only the monitor to turn off after 15min.
Account Lockout Policy is not setup.

Any suggestions?
Thx
wolfman_666
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 am

Check your scheduled tasks, backup software, virus scanner and see if one of those has a scheduled logoff sequence together with whatever else they do.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:23 am

The "energy savings" (power options) settings may need changing. Set the base as for the computer being "always on", the hard drive never shutting down.. and a default screen saver as 'blank screen' after 5 min. or so. There also is a control line for hibernation and standby settings.. should be "never". Yes, the monitor can be turned off after perhaps 20 min. of inactivity. You could use any screen saver you want, to draw attention to a logo or banner. But with LED or LCD monitors, no worry about "burn-in" as with CRT monitors.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:42 am

The scheduling appears weird but you could also do a spyware scan. I've seen a few of them that reboot or autolog off PCs.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby wolfman_666 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks to all who assisted me on this issue. Turns out it was a scheduled task made by one of my so call friends as a joke.
wolfman_666
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:25 am

wolfman_666 wrote:Thanks to all who assisted me on this issue. Turns out it was a scheduled task made by one of my so call friends as a joke.

Not a nice "joke"!! If in an emergency, and an ISP computer link is needed, it could be life threatening!!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Operating Systems

Postby clark10 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 pm

An operating system (OS) is a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs.
clark10
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Operating Systems