How do I make a hole in the front of my PC (keeping HD cool)

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

How do I make a hole in the front of my PC (keeping HD cool)

Postby Lowryman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:48 am

Hello to everyone,

(Can I put this here?) I have a Aopen "QF50C" computer case. A picture of the front is here:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad233/Ibizaner/Aopen_QF50C/Aopen_box_01.jpg

When I remove the upper front "cover" (the one with the ASUS sticker on it), then the harddrive stays cooler than it does when the front cover is in place. Here is a picture with both the "covers" removed:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad233/Ibizaner/Aopen_QF50C/Aopen_box_02.jpg

Yes, it is (still) an IDE disk (notice the wires from the IDE cable). The motherboard is an "A8V Deluxe" from Asus. As one can see, I once bought a Zalman harddisk cooler, more out of curiosity than necessity.

When the two front "covers" are in place, then the harddisk gets warmer (I can not recall the temperature: 40-ish degrees Celsius or so?). So, although the harddisk does not get hot with the case closed, I'd like to ask the experienced PC modders here what I could do to keep the harddisk cooler.

I was thinking of cutting out some kind of plastic "plate" and cut a circular hole in it and then put a PC fan grill in that. It would be abit problematic to keep that "plate" in place, but that should be possible. But since the hole would be open, a lot of dust would probably get into the PC case, right?

Does anyone know of a way to keep dust from getting into the case? Do you have a better idea for a "hole" in the front of my PC?
Lowryman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Lowryman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:50 am

Since I was/am running out of space on my desk, I put together my own small, wooden "switch rack" and put it on top of my PC.
It holds a 5-port network switch and a wireless-access point/range extender, both from Sitecom.

The wood came from a box with oranges (the fruit) from a local supermarket :-)

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad233/Ibizaner/Aopen_QF50C/wooden-switch-rack-lol.jpg

Doesn't look perfect, but still pretty neat, if I may say so myself :-P
Lowryman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:18 am

if you don't care at all about how it looks, you could easily dremel/router out the middle of one (or both) of those slot covers. then could throw a nylon over it to create a path of airflow that would limit the entry of dust.

very unappealing, but effective.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Twisty » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Many cases have an air gap between the plastic facia and the metal chassis which provides a channel for air to flow up from the bottom of the case. If your case is designed like this then you could just mount a fan in front of the HDD and keep the plastic facias unmodified.
If you need the ventilation path to go through the facia then I'd be inclined to cut a square in one/both of the facia plates and then stick a fine metal mesh onto the back of the hole(s) with silicone sealant. The mesh could either be chopped out of an old speaker or bought from DIY store (stainless eteel soffit insect mesh).

You may also have a more ventilated space in one of the 3.5" bays of the computer ;)
- Webster - :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Lowryman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:36 pm

First, my sincere apologies for not having replied sooner here. I have been away on vacation to Cape Town, South Africa (and that's quite a trip, from Europe) and I didn't get back here until two weeks ago.

I am still thinking of this small "issue". My PC case has 2 USB ports at the bottom front, so there is no room for a fan.

I got a few ideas now, though. I have this old HP Vectra case: perhaps I can cut out a part of it, make a hole in it, put a dust cover in it and one of these "ventilator grilles" over it, and put that at the front.

Twisty, Roach412,
thank you very much for having taken the time to reply (back in September).
Lowryman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby dc3 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:54 am

There are hole saws with 1/4 inch shafts which will make a nice clean hole.
dc3
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to System Modification